This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

I’ll be shocked if BC doesn’t score at least 6 tomorrow night. It ain’t gonna be pretty.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Nate Leaman is much better hockey coach right now IMO. He gets more out his teams than any other coach year in and year out. Leaman is 176–101–38 (.619) at Providence overall. Jerry york is 1067-650-120 (.614) at BC. I think its a lot harder coaching at PC than at BC as BC has much better talent.
      Some valid points. Will be interesting to see if Leaman eventually gets an NHL job or if he's a college guy for the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        I’ll be shocked if BC doesn’t score at least 6 tomorrow night. It ain’t gonna be pretty.
        The next few games should tell a lot about what the kids on this team are made of. Do they re-group and fight the good fight? Or fizzle out?

I'm of the opinion that we will be up for these games, and win or lose it isn't going to be easy for BC and NU.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Rangers are the hottest team in the NHL. #CoachQHasIsMojoBack
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            And I'm asking again how you know they preferred to stay with the Bruins. Is that your assumption? Because you're stating it as fact. Which means you know something that the rest of us don't. Why would they interview for the job if they preferred to stay with the Bruins? That makes no sense. Unless you personally know both Joe Sacco and Jay Pandolfo and spoke with them both during the interview process making you privy to some information that the rest of us are not, then your statement is an assumption. If you do, that's fine, let us (OK, me) know that. Personally, I don't think a rando Northeastern fan does, but they're both local guys so for all I know, you could be a neighbor or your kids play hockey or your wives belong to a book club. Years ago I posted here that Freddy Meyer wasn't going to start the season because of a back injury and no one believed me even though I said I had inside info. And then he didn't start the season because of a back injury. How did I know? Because Keith Emery's mom was my dental hygienist and told me during a cleaning. So, maybe you have information like that. I don't think you do but your post makes it sound as if you do.

I do not know either of them. I cannot site my source of this because I do not remember the source, I thought that was pretty well known that they preferred to stay where they were. I also do not think that it is unheard of to interview for a position and then decide to stay where you are. I actually think it is common. Grass is not always greener. I am not knocking BU, they are a college hockey power, not lately but they still are. I think they misfired on there hire. All I am saying is that they need to look outside of there family when there may be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              Yet BU plays them tough. Twice already this season.
              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
              BC - 12
              BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                Yet BU plays them tough. Twice already this season.
                Can we use your goalie? If so, I agree.

BU Hockey: Limping to the Finish
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
                  I thought that was pretty well known that they preferred to stay where they were.
                  It was absolutely not well known that they preferred to stay where they are. Instead, most reporting at the time indicated BU removed them from their final list. Those reports could have been one-sided or lacking full context, but the general consensus was BU removed Pandolfo and Sacco from their list not vice versa.

It's important to remember BU made this hire in a precarious spot - in that the program was on very solid footing. Very little/nothing needed to change for BU to reach the highest levels of success. Four consecutive NCAA Tournament births, two consecutive Regional Final births, defending HE Tournament Champions, a year removed from a HE RS Championship, and an exceptional recruiting pipeline. Albie was the candidate who most believed would continue that momentum - he recruited the incoming players, the existing players (by all accounts) were fond of him, he knew the systems in place.

Hiring Bennett would've meant blowing it all up and restarting. Bennett likely would bring in a completely new coaching staff, we'd risk losing recruits, existing players, and the momentum Quinn built. Sacco and Pandolfo wouldn't have been as big a change, but one nonetheless. Also consider at the time Pandolfo had only two years of assistant coaching experience with the Bruins and no head coaching experience. Sacco had lengthy NHL coaching experience including the few years in Colorado. Pandolfo and Sacco both have zero college coaching experience, I'd think BU wondered whether these two could recruit.

It was not unreasonable for BU to be concerned if Sacco would jump at the first call from any NHL team. Don't forget it took NYR multiple calls and a huge deal to get Quinn. Personally, I don't want a coach who'd come in and jump the first time a dead-end NHL job with the Panthers or Senators came up.

Not to say Albie was the sure-fire right choice here that Quinn was post-Parker, but the other candidates weren't either. I agree in future decisions BU should consider all candidates in and outside of the BU family, but that also must take into account the current state of the program. If they're moving on from Albie in the next few years, that hiring decision will account for numerous factors that didn't exist when Quinn left.
                  Last edited by brassbonanza; 02-28-2020, 11:29 AM.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Some of these concerns, if true, are absurd and the school seriously needs to reconsider them. Who cares if for example Sacco might leave again for the pros? If he can do the job for 4-5 years like Quinn and make the program a contender complete with a few HE titles and a Frozen Four appearance why would you trade that for a clueless fata ss who has the team mired in mediocrity but will stay for 20 years because nobody else wants him?

Also I don't get the recruiting angle. No offense to Albie or anybody in his situation, but a former NHL player and head coach doesn't have the same credibility with the recruits that a career minor leaguer who's never been the head coach on any level has? Maybe there were some other reasons for not hiring Sacco that we're not privy to (including the open question of if he would have actually taken the job), but I hope those weren't the reasons or that's a major F up that needs to be corrected.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Jeez guys, BC and BU are schools that sell themselves. Wondering if a coach can recruit at BU is really an odd concern. If anything, the fact that a coach sucks at coaching could ruin the recruiting for said coach and turn recruits off from BU. You hire the guy that can coach hockey at places like this. Not to mention assistants that are able to do the recruiting for the HC.
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        Nate Leaman is much better hockey coach right now IMO. He gets more out his teams than any other coach year in and year out. Leaman is 176–101–38 (.619) at Providence overall. Jerry york is 1067-650-120 (.614) at BC. I think its a lot harder coaching at PC than at BC as BC has much better talent.
                        I've been tracking Hockey East coaching records for several years now. First, including this season Coach Leaman is 191-112-44 (0.614) at PC. Second, you gave Coach York's overall record, not his record at BC; including this season he is 622-323-87 (0.645) and over the past 9 seasons (the same as Coach Leaman) he is 209-111-28 (0.641). So Coach York is flat out better than Coach Leaman.

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                        Give me Bazin as the best coach in HE. For the same reason why you went with Leaman, except Norm has even less talent to work with. Lowell consistently has bottom-half of the league talent (other than maybe when they had Hellebuyck) and they are always in the mix. Winning percentage at Lowell is .639
                        Coach Bazin is currently 203-110-31 (0.635), also better than Coach Leaman and just slightly behind Coach York. But besides overall records, what about league records, post-season records and titles? Here are all three coaches records for overall, league, regular season, out of conference, Hockey East Tournament, NCAA Tournament and combined HEA & NCAA Tournaments:

As can be seen, over the past nine seasons Coach York leads in five categories, trailing Coach Bazin in Hockey East Tournament play and last in OOC play. Coach Leaman is last in 5 categories and 2nd in 2 others. If you want to go beyond just wins and losses and include post season play and titles then Coach York is still the leader, but has dropped off the past several seasons. Coach York has 5 HE regular season titles ('12, '14, '16, '17, '18), one HE Tournament title ('12), five NCAA appearances ('12, '13, '14, '15, '16), three FF appearances ('12, '14, '16) and one NCAA title ('12). Coach Bazin has 2 HE regular season titles ('13, '17), three HE Tournament titles ('13, '14, '17), five NCAA appearances ('12, '13, '14, '16, '17) and one FF appearance ('13). Coach Leaman has one HE regular season title ('16), six NCAA apearances ('14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '19), two FF appearances ('15, '19) and one NCAA title ('15).

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          I've been tracking Hockey East coaching records for several years now. First, including this season Coach Leaman is 191-112-44 (0.614) at PC. Second, you gave Coach York's overall record, not his record at BC; including this season he is 622-323-87 (0.645) and over the past 9 seasons (the same as Coach Leaman) he is 209-111-28 (0.641). So Coach York is flat out better than Coach Leaman.

Coach Bazin is currently 203-110-31 (0.635), also better than Coach Leaman and just slightly behind Coach York. But besides overall records, what about league records, post-season records and titles? Here are all three coaches records for overall, league, regular season, out of conference, Hockey East Tournament, NCAA Tournament and combined HEA & NCAA Tournaments:

As can be seen, over the past nine seasons Coach York leads in five categories, trailing Coach Bazin in Hockey East Tournament play and last in OOC play. Coach Leaman is last in 5 categories and 2nd in 2 others. If you want to go beyond just wins and losses and include post season play and titles then Coach York is still the leader, but has dropped off the past several seasons. Coach York has 5 HE regular season titles ('12, '14, '16, '17, '18), one HE Tournament title ('12), five NCAA appearances ('12, '13, '14, '15, '16), three FF appearances ('12, '14, '16) and one NCAA title ('12). Coach Bazin has 2 HE regular season titles ('13, '17), three HE Tournament titles ('13, '14, '17), five NCAA appearances ('12, '13, '14, '16, '17) and one FF appearance ('13). Coach Leaman has one HE regular season title ('16), six NCAA apearances ('14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '19), two FF appearances ('15, '19) and one NCAA title ('15).

Sean

Sean, hold on .... I’m checking my answers.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                            Good stuff but I am commenting on the coaching as the total package not just winning %. There is no way that Providence nor UMassLowell gets near the caliber players that BC does and yet they are right there. Leaman and Bazin get more out of less. Give Bazin and Leaman the talent that BC has and they are dominate.

Comment

Yah

If jrrrrrry was so good how come he has so few hea coach of the year awards
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Yah

If jrrrrrry was so good how come he has so few hea coach of the year awards
                                LOL...on a side note who is this years Bob Kullen Coach of the year frontrunner? Red Gendron would be my vote at this point with Cavanaugh 2nd.....

Comment

Working...
                                X