X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
    It’s puzzling to me how BU plays BC tough always and find a way to lose to other teams in HE or just tie
    I'm pretty confident that what I said a couple of weeks ago applies here. "Elite" players (i.e., high draft picks) tend to step up their games when the lights are brighter. Over a long season, grinders will play more consistently. This has been the problem recently. Although talented and potentially able to beat anyone on a given night, BU always ends up behind the 8-ball with the PWR system, which rewards consistency. Being forced to win the HE tournament every year just to make the NCAA's is not a recipe for success.

Of course, someone will say "Then how come BC is able to do it?" Well, that's the other factor. Can you say c-o-a-c-h?"

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      Only off by 1 with 4-1 result

It’s puzzling to me how BU plays BC tough always and find a way to lose to other teams in HE or just tie

I am sure some of the out of conference games should have been W’s this year for BU

But I drove home happy because a win is a win and BC played well enough

One BU fan walked up to me before the game and said he liked Bob Knight and I corrected him by saying “You mean Spencer Knight” lol

But I have to agree he was the difference last night in keeping the Terriers at bay with his saves otherwise it would have been a totally different game

The amount of quality chances BU had were a dismay but Knight was outstanding on some of those saves
      Different persons, different perspectives. Perhaps, I'm in a negative frame of mind regarding BU hockey at the moment, but at no point last night did I think BU would win. BC did a great job keeping BU away from the front of the net to a great extent. BC limited BU opportunities off the initial rush, too.

Which BC coach works with the defense?
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Brendan Buckley. Took over for Greg Brown this year. Played for York and coached under Cav at UConn. Been a very good fit so far. The way BC played the 3rd period, they learned their lesson from the Beanpot.

Comment

What gets you home ice? A sweep, Lowell over UConn and Providence over Maine?

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            Different persons, different perspectives. Perhaps, I'm in a negative frame of mind regarding BU hockey at the moment, but at no point last night did I think BU would win. BC did a great job keeping BU away from the front of the net to a great extent. BC limited BU opportunities off the initial rush, too.

Which BC coach works with the defense?
            If you look at it, it was really a 3-1 game until BU pulled their goalie

Watching the replay on nesn now there were a number of things that didn’t help BU

On the 1st BC goal the defenseman fell down for the Newhook goal

On some of the BU scoring chances same thing the forward falls down or loses his edge or fanning on a shot

BU in the beginning outshot BC badly but BC capitalized on their few chances for 2-0 lead into the first half of the game i

Then BC started catching up on the SOG with the lead and locked down on D until the BU pp goal made it interesting
            Last edited by BCeagle; 03-01-2020, 12:26 PM.
            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
              If you look at it, it was really a 3-1 game until BU pulled their goalie

Watching the replay on nesn now there were a number of things that didn’t help BU

On the 1st BC goal the defenseman fell down for the Newhook goal

On some of the BU scoring chances same thing the forward falls down or loses his edge or fanning on a shot

BU in the beginning outshot BC badly but BC capitalized on their few chances for 2-0 lead into the first half of the game it

Then BC started catching up on the SOG with the lead and locked down on D until the BU pp goal made it interesting
              Generally agree. I watched 2/3 of the game on NESN (kind of one of these things where the game was on but I wasn’t glued to it.)

Despite the score it didn’t strike me as a lopsided game. BC played a little more soundly across the board to earn the win and Knight made a few dandy saves..

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Yes on the BU sweep and Lowell over UConn. PC needs to beat or tie Maine.

Conversely, the worst-case scenario for BU would be BU gets swept and UNH sweeps BC. BU finishes 9th, even if PC loses @ Maine b/c PC would win the tiebreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Yes. That would get us to 27 points. UConn would finish with 26 and Maine with 25. Which would make the standings thus: (assuming BC sweeps UNH and UMass beats Vermont). NU gets in because UNH won't leapfrog them if BC sweeps. Maine loses the tiebreaker with Providence.

Team Points
                  BC 36
                  UMA 30
                  UML 29
                  BU 27
                  UConn 26
                  Providence 25
                  Maine 25
                  NU 21

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Yes. That would get us to 27 points. UConn would finish with 26 and Maine with 25. Which would make the standings thus: (assuming BC sweeps UNH and UMass beats Vermont). NU gets in because UNH won't leapfrog them if BC sweeps. Maine loses the tiebreaker with Providence.

Team Points
                    BC 36
                    UMA 30
                    UML 29
                    BU 27
                    UConn 26
                    Providence 25
                    Maine 25
                    NU 21
                    In this scenario, if UNH at least splits its BC series, UNH would finish 8th (at least 22 pts) and NU 9th (21 pts).

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                      In this scenario, if UNH at least splits its BC series, UNH would finish 8th (at least 22 pts) and NU 9th (21 pts).
                      Correct. That's why I said "Assuming BC sweeps UNH." ONE UNH win COULD get them into the playoffs (where they would then have to go to Conte and play BC again.

Team Points
                      BC 34
                      UMA 30
                      UML 29
                      BU 27
                      UConn 26
                      Providence 25
                      Maine 25
                      UNH 22
                      Last edited by chickod; 03-01-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Correct. That's why I said "Assuming BC sweeps UNH." ONE UNH win COULD get them into the playoffs (where they would then have to go to Conte and play BC again.

Team Points
                        BC 34
                        UMA 30
                        UML 29
                        BU 27
                        UConn 26
                        Providence 25
                        Maine 25
                        UNH 22
                        Hey, UNH is only 10 wins (and an NU loss) away from a national title. 🥳
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          York is the better coach because he's going head to head with the other two when he's like 95 years old while the other two are in their prime. York in his best stretch blows away anything the other two have accomplished. That's not to take away from what they and Carvel at UMass do with far less resources.

I'd rank them in HE as:

1) York
                          2) Leaman
                          3) Bezin
                          4) Madigan
                          5) Carvel
                          6) Cavanaugh

(big gap)

7) Albie
                          8) Souza
                          9) Borek
                          10) Gendron
                          11) Sneddon.
                          Bazin and Leaman are currently the two best coaches in HE, IMO.
                          They have taken their programs beyond their schools' hockey pedigrees.

How much coaching does Jerry actually still do? He is a legend, but I am told his assistants do most of the work.
                          Keefe seems to do almost all of the in-game coaching at Northeastern. But like Jerry, Madigan has been an effective program leader.

Cavanaugh could be the league's Coach of the Year. If not in Hockey East, in Russia.

Carvel has kept UMass in the top tier despite losing Makar.

Maine's success is down to having the best goalie in the league. We'll see what Red does after Swayman leaves? Swayman probably saved his job and bought him more time. Knight is very good, too. But he has a much better team in front of him than Swayman.

I like Borek's scally cap. He can double as an Uber driver after games.

I wish Sneddon success selling insurance.

Albie and Souza? The jury is definitely still out. Albie has the shorter leash because the University of No Hardware is, well, more used to not collecting any hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                            Maine’s success is down to having the best goalie in the league.
                            I’m guessing the Vermont people might not agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Albie and Souza? The jury is definitely still out. Albie has the shorter leash because the University of No Hardware is, well, more used to not collecting any hardware.
                              And, of course, the UNH AD and president have just made it clear in their discussion of rink changes that they don’t care about the hockey program, so Souza should be all set regardless of the team’s performance.
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                And, of course, the UNH AD and president have just made it clear in their discussion of rink changes that they don’t care about the hockey program, so Souza should be all set regardless of the team’s performance.
                                At BU I feel we have a very supportive AD, but hamstrung by a President who is indifferent at best towards hockey and athletics as a whole.

Comment

Working...
                                X