X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    Sam Stevens does not belong on that list.
    Quercia was much improved before getting hurt.
    Willman and Brink -- both grad transfers from Brown. They were only going to be depth players at best.
    Originally posted by Mike799 View Post
    One thing that I’m surprised does not get more attention on this board is the poor quality of players that have been recruited in recent years outside of high profile guys. In just the last two years, the staff has brought in jamie armstrong, hugo blixt, john copeland, marcus boguslasky, alex brink, jake deboer, vinny purpura, matt quercia, sam stevens, max willman. I have no idea whether these are scholarship players or what the expectations were for these players But, to have this many players barely contribute anything makes me wonder what about the staff’s ability to identify talent

It's my understanding Albie felt a more balanced approach towards recruiting is necessary to bring more roster stability and maturity to a team that has trended very young due to its recruiting approach. With that said...

Armstrong -- fits the bill of older, mature, bigger player. I don't think the expectation is for him to develop into a primary contributor on offense as much as the intangibles he brings.

Blixt -- IMO this was a recruiting mistake despite the optics (size; older, mature player). Knowing Hickey, MacLeod and Diffley were graduating after the 2017-18 season, the coaching staff didn't recruit comparable D-men to replace them, instead getting Blixt and Dominic Vidoli late in the recruiting cycle. I've heard while Blixt has excelled in the student component of student-athlete, it appears he's transferring after this season.

Boguslavsky -- see above on Armstrong. Roster spot opened up last offseason when Mark Cheremeta decided to play in the USHL this season before transferring to Ohio St.

Brink, Willman -- generally agree w/ Harry's comments. Willman was also coming off long-term injury his final year at Brown. However, he had been a productive player at Brown before getting hurt and didn't appear to be the same player at BU.

Copeland -- with all due respect, he's a roster-filler who's projected to be a depth player at best.

deBoer -- I think he's an example of a player who was bigger/stronger than peers his age when younger, but was lapped during critical development years following his verbal commitment to BU at age 15. Despite his size, he needed at least 1-2 additional seasons in the USHL and would've been better off coming into D-1 hockey as an older Freshman.

Purpura -- another recruiting mistake. Period.

Quercia -- again, agree w/ Harry. Much improved this year. Also emerging leader on this team. Expect his #s to continue improving next 2 seasons while serving in a formal leadership capacity.

Stevens -- decommitted from Wisconsin and is a nice get so late in the recruiting cycle. Was a solid player in the USHL prior to BU. Has been up-and-down plus injured this year, but has definitely shown potential to be an effective 3rd/4th line center.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
      It's my understanding Albie felt a more balanced approach towards recruiting is necessary to bring more roster stability and maturity to a team that has trended very young due to its recruiting approach. With that said...

Armstrong -- fits the bill of older, mature, bigger player. I don't think the expectation is for him to develop into a primary contributor on offense as much as the intangibles he brings.

Blixt -- IMO this was a recruiting mistake despite the optics (size; older, mature player). Knowing Hickey, MacLeod and Diffley were graduating after the 2017-18 season, the coaching staff didn't recruit comparable D-men to replace them, instead getting Blixt and Dominic Vidoli late in the recruiting cycle. I've heard while Blixt has excelled in the student component of student-athlete, it appears he's transferring after this season.

Boguslavsky -- see above on Armstrong. Roster spot opened up last offseason when Mark Cheremeta decided to play in the USHL this season before transferring to Ohio St.

Brink, Willman -- generally agree w/ Harry's comments. Willman was also coming off long-term injury his final year at Brown. However, he had been a productive player at Brown before getting hurt and didn't appear to be the same player at BU.

Copeland -- with all due respect, he's a roster-filler who's projected to be a depth player at best.

deBoer -- I think he's an example of a player who was bigger/stronger than peers his age when younger, but was lapped during critical development years following his verbal commitment to BU at age 15. Despite his size, he needed at least 1-2 additional seasons in the USHL and would've been better off coming into D-1 hockey as an older Freshman.

Purpura -- another recruiting mistake. Period.

Quercia -- again, agree w/ Harry. Much improved this year. Also emerging leader on this team. Expect his #s to continue improving next 2 seasons while serving in a formal leadership capacity.

Stevens -- decommitted from Wisconsin and is a nice get so late in the recruiting cycle. Was a solid player in the USHL prior to BU. Has been up-and-down plus injured this year, but has definitely shown potential to be an effective 3rd/4th line center.

One name not mentioned is Skoog who I think can be a difference maker at this level. Really impressed with him thus far. On a side note do we have an official list of what players will be coming next season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        It’s not easy recruiting studs who leave after a season or two and then finding players that will be there for 4 season. It’s a difficult dance to master.
        Theres a difference between “mastering the art of recruiting 4 year players” and recruiting 4 year players who quite honestly barely look like division one hockey players. Is it out of the question to expect them to find a few players that stay four years. AND can contribute offensively?

Comment

Theres a difference between “mastering the art of recruiting 4 year players” and recruiting 4 year players who quite honestly barely look like division one hockey players. Is it out of the question to expect them to find a few players that stay four years. AND can contribute offensively?
          Gotta agree with you here. If our depth players are mostly solid why does the team suck azz?
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
            This.

As with many leaders, Silber was and Brown can be polarizing in their respective ways. I think the way football was handled is what people will think of and remember about Silber's view towards athletics. However, it's my understanding that his perception and support (without necessarily attending games) of the hockey program was more favorable than that of President Brown.

I don't think President Brown is necessarily a problem per se when it comes to athletics, but it's been my long-standing impression that he won't go above & beyond to provide elevated support/resources towards Athletics -- despite the success of many BU programs (both athletically and academically) during his time as President. My perception is that:

* If Athletics wants something beyond standard operating needs, they need to raise $ to get it

* While he's clearly aware of the stature of the hockey program, he doesn't think it should get "flagship" treatment in relation to the other Athletics programs.

I think as long as Athletics continues doing well in the classroom, community and on the ice/field/court/etc more often than not, he'll treat Athletics at BU as "low-hanging fruit" vs. committing more resources to raise BU's stature in that arena.
            I think what is being totally ignored is the following ... when half your school
            Is now full paying students from overseas .. no scholarships no financial aid.. full cash paying students ... not only do those students not care about hockey but the administration then feels athletics and the money they bring in are less important and it’s more important to keep up the facade of being a super high level academic institution which a focus on athletics often negates

Comment

Out of this Freshman class, I think Armstrong, Fensore, Mastrosimone, McCarthy, Phillips, Skoog, Stevens could fit the bill of 4-year players whom a program could build around. I think what's just as important as recruiting solid 4-year players is keeping high-end players who are 1st/2nd round NHL draft picks for at least 3 years instead of just 1-2 years (unless it's clear that player is ready to immediately contribute in the NHL).

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              One name not mentioned is Skoog who I think can be a difference maker at this level. Really impressed with him thus far. On a side note do we have an official list of what players will be coming next season?
              Agreed on Skoog. I think he was projected/expected to be an impact player right away. BU was also very much in the mix for Mike Hardman who's had a similar impact at BC as an older, bigger Freshman.

Comment

I've also been impressed with Skoog; he plays with an edge, but needs to better be able to maintain his temper. In 15 games he is fifth in penalties, first in penalties/game and second in PIM/game. Of his 9 penalties 3 are for roughing and a fourth is for hitting after the whistle.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Are most of Albie's recruits full scholarship guys? Sometimes managing scholarship money and using partials to lure solid 4-year recruits with possibility of more scholarship money down the road if someone departs early can really help bolster a roster. That being said, that's a very difficult path to navigate.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Assuming that game action, rather than just a call-up, is required for a photo on the Agganis NHL wall.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Gotta agree with you here. If our depth players are mostly solid why does the team suck azz?
                      This is where we can get into legitimate criticism of Albie - whether he's coaching/developing those recruits. It's not a matter of having sub-par talent.

Reasonable questions of the coaching staff:
                      - Are players better or worse at season's end?
                      - How does the team respond to adverse situations?
                      - Are there glaring statistical holes indicative of poor scheme? (Low PP conversion, low PK conversion, high GAA, low GPG, etc.)
                      - Are players unexpectedly leaving early?
                      - is the team giving full effort on the ice?
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        Out of this Freshman class, I think Armstrong, Fensore, Mastrosimone, McCarthy, Phillips, Skoog, Stevens could fit the bill of 4-year players whom a program could build around. I think what's just as important as recruiting solid 4-year players is keeping high-end players who are 1st/2nd round NHL draft picks for at least 3 years instead of just 1-2 years (unless it's clear that player is ready to immediately contribute in the NHL).

Agreed on Skoog. I think he was projected/expected to be an impact player right away. BU was also very much in the mix for Mike Hardman who's had a similar impact at BC as an older, bigger Freshman.

Looking over the past few NHL drafts - any forward that was drafted in the first round is usually one and done in the NCAA so thats becoming the norm. Of course defenseman and goalies take longer so you can expect 2-3 years out of them. As I stated before this year was a bridge season before the program gets back to NCAA tournament levels. The issue at goalie was a major factor. I do have some concerns who is going to score next season but hopefully the return of Amonte along with the progress of Skoog, Mastrosimone, Quercia with the additions of Tuch and Peterson from the NTDP this team will be tough to handle up front. I dont see Zegras returning and if he did come back that would be huge.

Comment

Looking over the past few NHL drafts - any forward that was drafted in the first round is usually one and done in the NCAA so thats becoming the norm. Of course defenseman and goalies take longer so you can expect 2-3 years out of them. As I stated before this year was a bridge season before the program gets back to NCAA tournament levels. The issue at goalie was a major factor. I do have some concerns who is going to score next season but hopefully the return of Amonte along with the progress of Skoog, Mastrosimone, Quercia with the additions of Tuch and Peterson from the NTDP this team will be tough to handle up front. I dont see Zegras returning and if he did come back that would be huge.
                          Montreal has already decided Caufield will be playing another season at Wisconsin, hopefully ANA does the same thing with Zegras.

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                            Montreal has already decided Caufield will be playing another season at Wisconsin, hopefully ANA does the same thing with Zegras.
                            Not entirely accurate. Montreal stated they would prefer Caufield return to Wisconsin but if Caufield wants to sign he will go to Laval so thats still TBD. I would also argue that Caufield has a lot more to work on than Zegras before turning pro - like playing defense. Zegras is a more complete player and another year at BU would certainly round out his game. Was Wahlstrom ready? Was Farabee ready? A lot of these players are rushed to the next level. Some work out and some dont.
                            Last edited by Lemonade; 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              This is where we can get into legitimate criticism of Albie - whether he's coaching/developing those recruits. It's not a matter of having sub-par talent.

Reasonable questions of the coaching staff:
                              - Are players better or worse at season's end?
                              - How does the team respond to adverse situations?
                              - Are there glaring statistical holes indicative of poor scheme? (Low PP conversion, low PK conversion, high GAA, low GPG, etc.)
                              - Are players unexpectedly leaving early?
                              - is the team giving full effort on the ice?
                              My worry even though its early is that O'Connell learned all the wrong lessons from Parker as he was on the team when Parker started going a little senile in the late 90's.

Players not developing. Constipated offense. Boring power play. Taking whole periods and games off. I don't like the parallels.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by cridge View Post
                                Not a chance he already has one foot out the door

Comment

Working...
                                X