This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    If you only use league records I think Coach York is in the mix, but Coach Cavanugh would be my front runner when you compare his record vs last season. If you use overall records as well, then Coach Gendron may be the front runner, but I think this season it really is too early to say.

Sean
    To be honest, I’ve been of the opinion Gendron has not gotten the most of his teams... and this should have been a challenger for top spot in hockey east. On the flip side losing Holway, Keeper, Pearson, and Binner early hurt. If Gendron can get Maine to twenty wins and a trip to Boston then it would be a success. But short of that it would be hard to reward Gendron.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      It’s going to be a 0-3-0 finish and 9th place.
      Well, almost impossible. Even if we assume that both Northeastern (which they will if they sweep us no matter what, since they will have the tiebreaker) and Providence pass us, putting us 8th, there's no way UNH passes us. They need 5 points and they have 2 games each vs UML and BC. They would need at least two wins and a tie, even if we go winless. And even Providence has two vs Maine, of which they might not win any (and they would need 3 points to pass us).
      Last edited by chickod; 02-28-2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Being a head coach means at the end of the day, you are in charge of the whole thing. No doubt that schools with better facilities, better academic reputation, and in theory better history will have an easier time recruiting, all things seeing equal. But at the end of the day, if the wins aren't there, the recruiting starts getting harder. Jack Parker got a bump when Agganis was finally built. But when the wins started to fall off, even the having all the other qualifications (facilities, academics, history) couldn't stop the recruiting from falling significantly.

Yes, in theory a school like UML doesn't have the history or the academics that a school like BU has, but they have the facility, and more importantly, they found a coach who came up with a plan to still get wins - recruit older guys that may not be tops in their age group, but are solid players who buy into his system. Schools like NU and PC are sort of a blend in their approach - some older recruits, but lately, getting some to the USNDTP crown previously reserved for the BU/BCs of the world.
        I'm far removed from the situation, so I'm just asking here. As far as the "difference makers" are concerned, are academics a consideration? Do the guys really care about that Medieval Lit class?
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

UConn, now there's a team that's got it goin' on.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            I'm far removed from the situation, so I'm just asking here. As far as the "difference makers" are concerned, are academics a consideration? Do the guys really care about that Medieval Lit class?
            For the one and done and on to the NHL player maybe not... for the 4 year player who may not have a future in pro hockey, probably matters quite a bit.

Comment

Not sure of their record in the second half of the season but it is pretty good. They are now in good position for home ice. The Maine Provid games and the BU NU games are going to be hair on fire hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                There is Harvard/ylae
                Then there is everyone else
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  For the one and done and on to the NHL player maybe not... for the 4 year player who may not have a future in pro hockey, probably matters quite a bit.
                  That is my thoughts as well. Given how many schools that are good at hockey are also good academically, I have to think that all but the most "get to the NHL as quick as you can" obsessed parents would want their kid to be taking acadamecis into account.

Maybe it's just because I'm going through the college thing right now with my HS Senior (minus that whole athletic scholarship thing ), and I've been mentally ranking the field of his likely options for a few months now.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Just remember
                    Lori Laughton thought southern cal was a good school

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      I’ll be shocked if BC doesn’t score at least 6 tomorrow night. It ain’t gonna be pretty.
                      Nah they'll keep it to 5. Hoping for 5-1. Geta goal on the board and call it a night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                        Nah they'll keep it to 5. Hoping for 5-1. Geta goal on the board and call it a night.
                        Only 4-1, good night for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Only 4-1, good night for you!
                          Don't forget the free chicken.

Comment

peeee uuuuu

Comment

I finally have the stats for all teams that had a led at any point in a game and either lost or tied. The average/median for losses is 4.4/4 games and for ties 2.7/2.5 games. Breaking the numbers down further shows that for losses the average/median for 1 goal leads is 3.4/3 games, for 2 goal leads is 0.9/1 games and for 3 goal leads 0.1/0 games. For ties the average/median for 1 goal leads is 1.8/2, for 2 goal leads is 0.7/0.5 and for 3 goal lead is 0.2/0. BU lost 4 games they lead by 1 goal and 1 game they led by 3 goals, while they tied 3 games they led by 1 goal, 1 game they led by 2 goals and 2 games they led by 3 goals. So, they should have won one of the games they led by 1 goal and the game they led by 3 goals (DC) but lost, as well as 2 games they led by 1 or 2 goals and both games they led by 3 (NMU, UML) goals but tied. So I used the CHN custom pairwise to change the result of these 6 games:
                              NMU tie to BU win
                              UML tie to BU win
                              UVM tie to BU win
                              DC win to BU win
                              BC Beanpot tie to BU win
                              CT win at CT to BU win
                              Changing these 6 results would make BU's record 18-10-4 and they would be 10th in the pairwise:

Leaving the BC Beanpot game as a tie and making the NU Beanpout game a win gives almost the same results, except it drops NU out of the top 20:

Making the five non-Beanpot changes and changing the Beanpot results to the game results (win over BC, loss to NU) helps BU, but leaves them in 18th:

So, if they had been able to lose and tie the average/median number of games they would be solidly in the NCAA picture this season.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-01-2020, 09:09 AM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                                Only off by 1 with 4-1 result

It’s puzzling to me how BU plays BC tough always and find a way to lose to other teams in HE or just tie

I am sure some of the out of conference games should have been W’s this year for BU

But I drove home happy because a win is a win and BC played well enough

One BU fan walked up to me before the game and said he liked Bob Knight and I corrected him by saying “You mean Spencer Knight” lol

But I have to agree he was the difference last night in keeping the Terriers at bay with his saves otherwise it would have been a totally different game

The amount of quality chances BU had were a dismay but Knight was outstanding on some of those saves
                                Last edited by BCeagle; 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM.
                                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X