This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

- Does anyone know when Albie's contract is through?
    - If and when a change comes, it's unfortunate that putting him back into an Associate Coach/Recruiter role would not be considered, it never is in these situations. The Peter Principle at work here, and going back to the position that one excelled at always requires a change of employer it seems.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      - If and when a change comes, it's unfortunate that putting him back into an Associate Coach/Recruiter role would not be considered, it never is in these situations. The Peter Principle at work here, and going back to the position that one excelled at always requires a change of employer it seems.
      Thing is, no head coach would accept a job without the complete ability to pick their staff. I have no knowledge of what the AD's thoughts on Albie are, only that there is increasing constrenation among fans and donors that he is underperforming with a very talented roster while making demonstrably bad decisions in-game. At the least, I would be surprised if there was no assistant coaching change in the offseason.

Losing blueblood status like Maine isn't an equivalent comparison. Maine slipped not only because of poor play but because of facilities and location - both things BU has major advantages over most programs.

That's not to say the program's reputation could slip if this level of play continues, but we're a long way from that discussion.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        UConn, aka the Russian Blue Army, is okay. Nothing special. Neither is BU, when they don't come to play.
        Salty

Comment

Bad weekend all around with BU royalty being paraded out with tD and his snazzy hats
          Add making Rizzo jump through hoops like a trained collie

Who's the good athlete Mike?? Who's the good athlete and good golfer??
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            UConn, aka the Russian Blue Army, is okay. Nothing special. Neither is BU, when they don't come to play.
            They’re a bunch of dirty commies.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Bad weekend all around with BU royalty being paraded out with tD and his snazzy hats
              Add making Rizzo jump through hoops like a trained collie

Who's the good athlete Mike?? Who's the good athlete and good golfer??
              There was a show yesterday with 4 players from the ‘80 team. Three of them looked like they could still skate With their alma maters. Eruzione look bloated. Sort of like Trump.
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                This is college hockey, not SEC football. Do you honestly think your AD would pull the plug this quickly?
                I don't think so, and I also don't think it would be warranted at this point.

Comment

This weekend was a disaster no doubt... but everyone is premature in calling for Albie's head at this point.

Prior to this debacle of a weekend it seemed as if things were trending in the right direction: 8-3-3 since Red Hot Hockey (or 9-4-1 if you want to score the Beanpot they way it should be scored).

I think it is very legitimate to question the decision to start Abel for the Beanpot championship and even last night... although Tucker would have had to pitch a shutout to win.

For Albie's part, it would seem that he does need some leadership coaching to come of as more polished / confident in the interviews (I don't know if that same impression happens in the more intimate interaction with the team itself). Definitely need to eliminate the "deer in the headlights" impression with the media and fans and candidly, could hit the treadmill a bit (I think looks matter to a degree in a head coach position). With that said, he does know his hockey and is obviously good at identifying talent.

I still think he will be fine... just taking a little while to find his groove.

Comment

• this talk of firing Albie is silly really. Him & Paul Pearl tandem - very good recruiters and will continue to bring in solid players. Unfortunately for you guys this season (and it may yet correct); but it all starts with ‘stable’ goaltending. That has been missing. Very shaky. That’s it.

Give Albie more time. He is BU person through & through. On a personal level, great guy, good Coach & with Paul Pearl tandem ; some of the best recruiters in the college game.

Be fans - yes be critical; take the good with the bad but L-T talent wise you guys will be solid again, once the goaltending (which is coming); is stabilized.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      this talk of firing Albie is silly really. Him & Paul Pearl tandem - very good recruiters and will continue to bring in solid players. Unfortunately for you guys this season (and it may yet correct); but it all starts with ‘stable’ goaltending. That has been missing. Very shaky. That’s it.

Give Albie more time. He is BU person through & through. On a personal level, great guy, good Coach & with Paul Pearl tandem ; some of the best recruiters in the college game.

Be fans - yes be critical; take the good with the bad but L-T talent wise you guys will be solid again, once the goaltending (which is coming); is stabilized.
                      True. Let’s rewind back to last year when BC struggled and all of a sudden Jerry York stunk and was out of touch. Add in a talented goalie and BC is back on the map and Jerry is back as a coaching genius. BU has the goalie coming (that is putting up better numbers than Knight did) so I expect BU to bounce back next year as a much better team and record and Albie will look a lot better.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        Wise - whiff
                        Weiss - couldn't get into BU, as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong.
                        DeBoer - not sure he was regarded as a big get. Does anyone else know?
                        Crone - Never understood why he was banished back to USHL. Last I looked he was doing fairly well at Denver.
                        Cockerill - Would be acceptable as a 3rd liner on a better team, PKer. Definitely not a 1st, 2nd line guy.
                        The failures with Wise and Cockerill are major problems. From his first game at BU, Wise has never looked like a front line D1 player.

The Ashton Abel situation is crazy. I can't recall seeing a guy fall so far, so quickly.

Not sure what you assumed with cockeriill he’s always been looked at as 3-4 year player and frankly I think he’s been one of best players since coming back from injury . I don’t like the line combinations he’s been on. But he always creates is tenacious and a really good player not to mention returning form injury

Abel didn’t fall he never was .. seriously who do you think you are getting as a goalie mid year .. the guy got lucky league figured him out rather quickly .. he tries to play like Carey Price except you can’t when you are like 5”8 ... albie doesn’t know how to handle goalies you don’t pull the trigger with one bad game you need to let a goalie play through a bad game or two and Tucker should be the starter ... I don’t even see Abel as a worthy back up next year ... he pulled same stuff with Oettinger last year brining in vinnie and we see how that all worked out . What many don’t know is a goalie regardless of who he is is part of the defensive structure and system you need to be able to trust the guys in front of you and play your game accordingly . When there’s no defensive structure on any regular basis (and this includes forwards as well ) then of course there are rebounds acrobatic saves out of position saves because often the goalie is scrambling .. I’d love to know the stats on how many breakaways and 2–1 3-1 Tucker has faved this year

What’s happened to cam crotty ?! Just major steps back

I agree with many of the sentiments sometimes a great assistant and great recruiter is just that and they aren’t cut out for the head job .. I believe this isn’t a big secret around the game and before there is an exodus of players and decommits drew has to face reality .. there is way too much talent. On this team .. there just is no discipline and that comes from the top no matter what .. There are a lot of great pieces in place

As for jake weise again many lay people here have no clue what it means to sit out a year due to an injury and what it takes and how long it takes to come back. Perfect example is look at Harper took him a full season to get back to semblance of himself . He came in to BU with injury issues and finally they have been resolved he has shown some flashes and hopefully will improve ..

Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out ...
                        Last edited by ColinWilsonFan; 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          This weekend was a disaster no doubt... but everyone is premature in calling for Albie's head at this point.

Prior to this debacle of a weekend it seemed as if things were trending in the right direction: 8-3-3 since Red Hot Hockey (or 9-4-1 if you want to score the Beanpot they way it should be scored).

I think it is very legitimate to question the decision to start Abel for the Beanpot championship and even last night... although Tucker would have had to pitch a shutout to win.

For Albie's part, it would seem that he does need some leadership coaching to come of as more polished / confident in the interviews (I don't know if that same impression happens in the more intimate interaction with the team itself). Definitely need to eliminate the "deer in the headlights" impression with the media and fans and candidly, could hit the treadmill a bit (I think looks matter to a degree in a head coach position). With that said, he does know his hockey and is obviously good at identifying talent.

I still think he will be fine... just taking a little while to find his groove.

There’s are all nice thoughts but you can’t be what you aren’t and there is a lot more going on then just those things

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                            Jerry is back as a coaching genius.
                            Mmmmmmm I'm not sure about this. I'm not sure many people are saying this except a few octogenarians drooling all over their keyboards on Eagleaction.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              True. Let’s rewind back to last year when BC struggled and all of a sudden Jerry York stunk and was out of touch. Add in a talented goalie and BC is back on the map and Jerry is back as a coaching genius. BU has the goalie coming (that is putting up better numbers than Knight did) so I expect BU to bounce back next year as a much better team and record and Albie will look a lot better.
                              I know you said this before but BC returned it's entire top line this year plus a trio of freshman forwards who have made a huge impact. If you lose Zegras and Farrance I don't see how BU is any better next year considering you also lose Harper and Curry.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
                                Abel didn’t fall he never was .. seriously who do you think you are getting as a goalie mid year .. the guy got lucky league figured him out rather quickly .. he tries to play like Carey Price except you can’t when you are like 5”8 ... albie doesn’t know how to handle goalies you don’t pull the trigger with one bad game you need to let a goalie play through a bad game or two and Tucker should be the starter ... I don’t even see Abel as a worthy back up next year ... he pulled same stuff with Oettinger last year brining in vinnie and we see how that all worked out . What many don’t know is a goalie regardless of who he is is part of the defensive structure and system you need to be able to trust the guys in front of you and play your game accordingly . When there’s no defensive structure on any regular basis (and this includes forwards as well ) then of course there are rebounds acrobatic saves out of position saves because often the goalie is scrambling .. I’d love to know the stats on how many breakaways and 2–1 3-1 Tucker has faved this year
                                Agree with most of this. Tucker is not a star, but he's a serviceable starter. 2.61/.913 isn't great but behind a team with as much offensive talent as we have you'll win more than you lose. Abel may have some good components to his game, but he's completely beatable above both gloves. It's uncanny how bad he is up there and that negates any upside to his game. He cannot play another game this year.

Albie's handling of goalies has been concerning. Hooking Tucker at Dartmouth was wrong and too soon. Benching him after BC was wrong. Starting Abel after the Merrimack implosion was wrong. Last year, starting Prawdzik at Northeastern to "get him a game" was a disaster. Only disagreement with what you wrote is that Purpura was brought in to be a backup to Jake and give Albie a chance to get Jake a day off. Prawdzik unfortunately wasn't playable, hence Purpura. Now it seems Purpura and Abel are all not playable.

Pantano at Northeastern has basically the same numbers as Tucker - ~2.50/.915. BU scores 3.16 goals per game, NU at 3.1. Northeastern is in the running for an at-large bid, BU is not. Pantano has started 7 more games than Tucker.
                                Last edited by brassbonanza; 02-23-2020, 10:32 PM.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X