This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-20 Part II: Civil War

I've been watching ASU this year. Impressive building of the program.

But it's Ari****ingzona State! They're currently ranked #16 and have been hovering around there. I get the weather draw to some kids, etc. But it's Ari****ingzona State!

It's embarrassing to me as a fan of one of the most storied programs in college hockey to see this program where it's been for so long. Time to go OUTSIDE the family and get a hungry coaching staff. I think our coaching staff is too comfortable in their own home.

We need a "John Tortorella".
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-20-2019, 11:59 AM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      I think our coaching staff is too comfortable in their own home.
      Interesting thought here. I'm still on with the concept that TG has no idea now to get college aged players to perform, you can't treat them like NHL'ers. MS also is very limited in coaching experience. That's not helping. I wouldn't mind Rohlick, he's proving his ability where he is now and there is no reason why he couldn't duplicate that here. But going fully outside has many merits.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've been watching ASU this year. Impressive building of the program.
        But it's Ari****ingzona State! They're currently ranked #16 and have been hovering around there. I get the weather draw to some kids, etc. But it's Ari****ingzona State!
        I'm not sure I will be able to deal with a loss to them that won't bring on a thinner laden coma.

Comment

Twelve days of hockey giveaway.... Yippeee....

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2019/12/2...s-in-2020.aspx
          Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-20-2019, 08:35 PM.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

That should bring interest to this team.
            **** winning.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Yeah winning would be better. I really hate to say it outloud but not many people give a sh*t about watching this program anymore.

My mom was a 30 year ticket holder and I was at her house and made her turn on the game. Took about 10 minutes before she said they look horrible and changed the channel. She had tickets Johnson through Eaves. Saw the 80s and 90 championships in person. Saw the 2006 win and 2010 loss. Loves hockey. Wont watch anymore. She knows a loser when she sees one.

Granato has a semester to fix it or he should quit.

Comment

"Wisconsin Badgers send record-tying four U.S. players to World Junior Championship" (Headline from Madison.com)

What would the Badger staff look like if these guys absolutely light it up at the World Juniors? It will tell ME a lot.

Comment

"Wisconsin Badgers send record-tying four U.S. players to World Junior Championship" (Headline from Madison.com)

What would the Badger staff look like if these guys absolutely light it up at the World Juniors? It will tell ME a lot.
                  Sandelin sure loves Miller. So confused.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                    Yeah winning would be better. I really hate to say it outloud but not many people give a sh*t about watching this program anymore.

My mom was a 30 year ticket holder and I was at her house and made her turn on the game. Took about 10 minutes before she said they look horrible and changed the channel. She had tickets Johnson through Eaves. Saw the 80s and 90 championships in person. Saw the 2006 win and 2010 loss. Loves hockey. Wont watch anymore. She knows a loser when she sees one.

Granato has a semester to fix it or he should quit.
                    Says it all right there brother. ****...this program is in a complete malaise.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all of you and yours, Badger Fans!

I hope you've all been good little boys and girls this year and Santa fills all your stockings with plenty of "W's" for the second half!

Not like last year -- you naughty little Badgers!
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season and gets a chance to enjoy some hockey for once!
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to everybody.

Twas the night before Christmas (and the third eve of Hanukkah) and all through the rink,
                          The players were stirring, can you smell that hockey stink?
                          The gloves, pads, and skates were hung in the lockers with care,
                          In hope that the next game soon would be there.

The players were ready, they’ve trained and they’ve bled,
                          With visions of hat tricks dancing in their heads.
                          The Zambonis were parked, the sticks were taped,
                          What a beautiful night for a long winter skate.

When out on the ice there arose such a clatter,
                          Gloves were dropped, what exactly was the matter?
                          The fists they flew through the air like a flash,
                          The blood hit the ice, drop by drop, with a splash.

The combatants were sent to the sin bin for a timeout,
                          To jaw at each other, to whine and to pout.
                          They’d get five minutes each, a penance for their sins,
                          Then come back out and go at it again.

The dekes, sick handles, and slap shots they fly,
                          But the goalie says, “No!” each and every time.
                          The game has come down to the last little bit,
                          The crowd rises to their feet, urging their team not to quit.

Their team gets the puck with one last chance to score,
                          As the clock ticks down, they need one goal more.
                          The puck moves left then right, and rifled down the boards,
                          The forecheck crashes in with defensemen and forwards.

The puck squirts free, it’s there for the taking,
                          The home team picks it up and there they go skating.
                          The goalie, he looks through the steel of his cage,
                          His weak spots the forward will have to gauge.

The shot flies through the thin winter air,
                          The puck spinning and twisting, this the goalie must snare.
                          The goaltender lunges, to his left with the glove,
                          But the sound of puck hitting twine the crowd would surely love.

With a thud and a swoosh as the puck hits the net,
                          The forward wipes his brow of his sweat.
                          The horn sounds loud for all to hear,
                          This was the greatest game of the year.

With sticks raised high in salute to the crowd,
                          The home team has won and wow, it is loud!
                          The three stars skate out and then head out of sight,
                          The announcer calls out, “Happy Hanukkah & Merry Christmas to all and to all a happy hockey night!”

(stolen off of the interwebs)

Comment

This was so good, I had to repost here. from HHound in the World Junior thread:

"Here in the (Hockey East), we see that happen with such frequency that the term "phenomena" is no longer applicable. BC and bu seem to divide up the National U-18 team in their annual recruiting efforts. They tend to be among the youngest, and possibly the least mature teams, in D1. The kids have been thoroughly pampered and need to take much of their first year to learn one of life's most basic lessons: "it's not all about you". By the time they've become fully acclimated to team play, they are probably sophomores and their minds are on whether to sign with the team that drafted them and how large a contract their agent can get them. No point in waiting around, as they have had a taste of college social life life and have coped with those annoyances created by professors who naively expect them to make a sincere effort to learn something.
                            It appears that Wisconsin's coaching staff wants to follow a similar model as they recruited some fine players, sometimes shortly after they players reached puberty. Their own twist seems to be the idea that they will recruit 3 players for every two that they will enroll. They can lock them up for several years while they see who develops and who lags a bit. Some the laggards seem to wind up with lines through their names on the Heisenberg site. What joy it is (not) to have to reopen their recruitment and to contact coaches that they had previously rejected.. Oh, how I wish I ccould buy stocks where, if they don't work out, I can ditch them and only keep the winners. These kids aren't stupid. They can see what is happening. It does a real job on the heads of certain individuals who are struggling with the challenges of being a teenager and really need things in their lives that they can count on.

The point of this mini-rant is that while the players ultimately do the winning and losing on the ice, many games and seasons are successful because of what goes on in the locker room before anyone sets a skate on the ice. The coach has to recruit the "right" players, not just those with the best stats, agents of PR people. These would be strong players who are coachable, team oriented, hockey smart, and who are aware that they need to continue to improve. The coach must then establish the players' trust and belief that he will make them better so that they will buy into his system. A coach, who was a great player and expects to be a successful coach has to have patience as his players will probably not pick up the skills that he found easy when he was in their place. He also must understand who he is coaching - He can't coach college kids the same way he may have coached (or has been coached) as a pro).

I wonder if you have the right staff to manage the kind of talent that they like to recruit. There may simply be a mismatch here. Hockey East has had four coaches who have turned moribund programs around inside of the length of their initial contract. Nate Leaman at PC won a National Championship and his guys have played in another Frozen Final. Norm Bazin at UMass Lowell has won two HEA Championships. Jim Madigan at Northeastern has won two HEA Championships and the last two Beanpot tournaments and has developed a Hobey Baker winner and another finalist. Greg Carvel at UMass Amherst has taken his team to the Final Four in just three years and has also developed a Hobey winner.. The common threads among them was that they took over dumpster programs, the recruited and blended a roster with a few stars and a great many role players. Their players believed in them. They believed that his coaching could make them better, and that they weren't finished products who were ready for the NHL.
                            For a variety of reasons, I have a soft spot and positive rooting interest for the Badgers. Sadly, I have not seen anything like the turnaround I had hoped for. I am just a fan and not an expert on Wisco Men's hockey. If I am way off base here, and the situation is better than it looks on the surface, please correct my impression - Politely, please, unlike those Goopher people

Best of luck in the second half."
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

There goes Miller again with the giveaway eh? He’ll be a 4-year player cause he doesn’t learn.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                There goes Miller again with the giveaway eh? He’ll be a 4-year player cause he doesn’t learn.
                                Its that new defense being taught. He's been tainted.😉
                                Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-26-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X