X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-20 Part II: Civil War

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Where/how do you calculate this?
    College Hockey News has a "customize" tab and then "modify game results" tab in their Pairwise ratings. You can change any results for any team on the season and it will calculate what the current PWR would be. A "what could have been" calculator if you will.

There's a couple of combinations of changing 3 losses to 3 wins that would have the Badgers 13-10-1 and #6 PWR. A couple of combinations of 2 wins would have them at 12-11-1 and #12 PWR right now.

They are currently #30.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

On the 1st rounders: Caufield can play in the NHL right now. His total game isn't consistent enough yet or developed enough yet, but there are only a handful of guys in the world that can shoot the puck the way he can, and that's enough to get on the NHL ice. If he stays it's because of his teammates, or out of a desire to mature physically a bit more, but I don't think it will be because he doesn't have a roster spot to start the year.

Turcotte's Dad (Alfie) went up too soon and his NHL career never really got going. I don't think Alex will be in a hurry if there's some question about his game being ready, and right now he doesn't look ready. Another year would be a huge benefit to him long term.

Miller has the ability to go to the show, it just depends on how his season finishes. He could get going and dominate or he could just continue playing how he has been. It's not unusual at all for 1st round D to play 3 or 4 years NCAA, in fact it's unusual for them to play less than that. I think both he and Alex return.

Kalynuk could go pro, and probably should, as I think he has a game that's better suited to pro hockey.

I don't think that any NHL staff is worried at all about leaving their guys here to develop. They are playing the toughest schedule in NCAA and getting premier training. It's a great place for them to be.

Season has been frustrating to no end. I noticed though that if you flip just 3 losses to wins you can get the Badgers to #6 PWR right now. That's kind of crazy.
        I’m no expert, but I know what I see. Our two first round forwards are far to inconspicuous for long stretches of games at the college level. Caufield didn’t get a shot last night until well into the 2nd if not the third period, and don’t get me started on his coverage in the d-zone. Sure, they wow you now and again, but I don’t see them elevating the team play. They get physically dominated too often in college. They would get annihilated in the NHL right now. You might be right, but my eyes are showing me otherwise. Way too inconsistent.

As for PWR, flip one or two others and they’d be near the bottom. They are what they are and that is dead last in the conference. No need to remind me that they’re young, we hear it every time one of the staff opens their mouths.
        Last edited by srkbadger; 01-26-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I don't believe that in a second. Going from #30 to #6 just by flipping 3 losses to wins?

I've always been considered very good in sales & marketing, but EVEN I couldn't sell that.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
            I’m no expert, but I know what I see. Our two first round forwards are far to inconspicuous for long stretches of games at the college level. Caufield didn’t get a shot last night until well into the 2nd if not the third period, and don’t get me started on his coverage in the d-zone. Sure, they wow you now and again, but I don’t see them elevating the team play. They get physically dominated too often in college. They would get annihilated in the NHL right now. You might be right, but my eyes are showing me otherwise. Way too inconsistent.

As for PWR, flip 1 or two others and they’d be near the bottom. They are what they are and that is dead last in the conference.
            100% correct.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              I don't believe that in a second. Going from #30 to #6 just by flipping 3 losses to wins?

I've always been considered very good in sales & marketing, but EVEN I couldn't sell that.
              You don't believe in... math?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                You don't believe in... math?
                LOL! Yes, just not that formula.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Season has been frustrating to no end......
                  Long post. I agree with one sentence.

I want wins. I give two craps about NHL picks blah blah blah.

Win, it's a simple concept. Obviously something is horribly wrong. And there has to be changes. I'm done with excuses.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    RECORD AFTER SPLITTING WITH MSU:

Record: 9-12-1 (4-9-1-1 - 14pts, 7th in Big7) (n/c)
                    GF/GA: 66/73
                    USCHO Poll: NR (n/c)
                    USA Today Poll: NR (n/c)
                    PWR: 32 (-1)
                    RPI: 32 (-1)
                    KRACH: 27 (-3)
                    Scoring: 3.00 GPG; T19th (-2)
                    Defense: 3.32 GAPG; 52nd (-3)
                    Power Play Goals: 15; T33rd (-8)
                    Power Play Rate: 18.29% (15 of 82); 30th (-8)
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 79.49% (62 of 78), 42nd (+4)
                    Penalty Min per Game: 13.27; 10th (1st is worst) (-7 worse)
                    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3; T9th (-1)
                    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 2; T20th (1st is worst) (+3)
                    Team Faceoff: 48.2%; T45th (-3)
                    RECORD AFTER SPLITTING WITH NOTRE DAME:

Record: 10-13-1 (5-10-1-1 - 17pts, 7th in Big7) (n/c)
                    GF/GA: 74/82
                    PWR: 31 (+1)
                    RPI: 32 (n/c)
                    KRACH: 25 (+2)
                    Scoring: 3.00 GPG; 20th (-1)
                    Defense: 3.42 GAPG; T52nd (n/c)
                    Power Play Goals: 18; T25th (+8)
                    Power Play Rate: 20.2% (18 of 89); 23rd (+7)
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 77.78% (70 of 90), 48th (-6)
                    Penalty Min per Game: 14.21; 9th (1st is worst) (-1 worse)
                    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 4; T6th (+3)
                    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 2; T22nd (1st is worst) (-2)
                    Team Faceoff: 48.0%; T47th (-2)
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      RECORD AFTER SPLITTING WITH NOTRE DAME:

Record: 10-13-1 (5-10-1-1 - 17pts, 7th in Big7) (n/c)
                      GF/GA: 74/82
                      PWR: 31 (+1)
                      RPI: 32 (n/c)
                      KRACH: 25 (+2)
                      Scoring: 3.00 GPG; 20th (-1)
                      Defense: 3.42 GAPG; T52nd (n/c)
                      Power Play Goals: 18; T25th (+8)
                      Power Play Rate: 20.2% (18 of 89); 23rd (+7)
                      Penalty Kill Rate: 77.78% (70 of 90), 48th (-6)
                      Penalty Min per Game: 14.21; 9th (1st is worst) (-1 worse)
                      Shorthanded Goals Scored; 4; T6th (+3)
                      Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 2; T22nd (1st is worst) (-2)
                      Team Faceoff: 48.0%; T47th (-2)
                      We needed a huge improvement after the break. Don't see it.

The stats that keep jumping out week after week, the defense and face-offs. Frustrating.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-27-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Yep. He's a homer, he has to say stuff like that. No more talk, the players will show us soon enough.
                        Not real excited for what they said by their play Saturday. Stupid penalties are an indicator of frustration and desperation. The coaches need to be able to coach these guys out of this stuff.

How about that clock snafu that cost UW a goal on the PK Saturday. That's a pile of crap.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Not real excited for what they said by their play Saturday. Stupid penalties are an indicator of frustration and desperation. The coaches need to be able to coach these guys out of this stuff.

How about that clock snafu that cost UW a goal on the PK Saturday. That's a pile of crap.
                          Shame on you. He is our best D man. Love you can give us more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Give UMaine your lost souls.

Comment

From Todd’s article below, Wow. I’ve noticed an uptick on clock malfunctions at the KC this year - so much so that folks in our section regularly razz the scoreboard for being so high tech, but apparently unable to do something as simple as counting down from 20 minutes. But, at least the KC timekeeper does a consistent job of notifying the ref when there is an issue. In what happened below, the ND timekeeper had to know they hadn’t started the clock for 42 seconds, and simply chose to not notify the refs. And in doing so, cost the Badgers an additional penalty and an additional 5-3 goal. I hate to be a guy who blames the refs for an outcome of the game, but watching on TV, this game was admittedly not called evenly. Then to find out that an off-ice official played this big of a role in shaping the game is ludicrous. If the Badgers go into the locker room down 2-1 at the end of two periods, it’s a lot different in momentum than going in down 3-1 with an entire PP to kill. And that is all on the officials. This is just a crazy, unconscionable scenario for the Big 10 to have allowed. Mistakes happen. But to not point out the mistake so it can be fixed now made it something very different than a mistake, and a simple “I’m sorry” from the league office must have been even more insulting for the staff to receive after the fact.

————————

Granato said the Big Ten apologized for a timing error by off-ice officials that added what he said was another 42 seconds to the second period on Saturday.

That was to the detriment of the Badgers, who were whistled for a penalty and allowed a 5-on-3 goal in the final 18 seconds of the period — time that shouldn’t have been left on the clock.

After Notre Dame scored with 3:35 remaining in the second period to take a 2-1 lead, the timekeeper at Compton Family Ice Arena didn’t start the clock for nearly three-quarters of a minute after the faceoff.

“The period would have been over 42 seconds earlier but because of a human error, there’s nothing they can do,” Granato said Monday. “They said ‘sorry.’”

Timing errors normally are corrected at the next whistle, when off-ice officials alert the referees and fix the clock. That didn’t happen Saturday, and the Badgers went into the third period trailing 3-1 after Cal Burke’s goal with 7.1 seconds left. They lost 5-2 after cutting the deficit to 3-2 in the opening minute of the third period.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...83e335928.html
                              Last edited by sunprairie; 01-29-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Goofer week. I see the anticipation is building with all the site activity I digress.

I guess with the Rodents playing decent hockey recently I predict another split. Worse case being a loss and tie.

Bob Motzko coming to the Hockey Backer luncheon Friday, which I believe is the first time a Goofer coach has come since they started that group!

Comment

Working...
                                X