This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    For those of you FINALLY calling for Tony's head, what took you so long? Welcome to the club.
    Sure hope this wasn’t directed at me. I was one of the first people to question this coaching staff while the majority were still in the honeymoon phase.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-20 Part II: Civil War

Do they even practice defensive hockey? They are just terrible 2/3 of the way through the season. The Gophers aren’t world beaters, but they’re coming around. How can this be, they’re young? BTW, our imminent pro who will see ice in the NHL had 2 shots on goal against the maroon and gold defensive wall of doom. Imagine going against the big boys in the pros.

I really thought Tony would turn things around, but this isn’t working. This team has enough talent, and should not be in last place. They continue to make the same mistakes. I would expect noticeable improvement by now. At best they’re treading water, and the staff has to take responsibility.
      Last edited by srkbadger; 02-01-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• I know the coaches are ultimately responsible for getting the team to perform, and I hate the “young team” excuse as much as anyone. But this from Tarek Baker in Todd Milewski’s game story today is pretty telling - and has to make the locker room pretty uncomfortable (as it should be). I hope Baker, Dhooge and Kalynuk are saying this directly to the players they feel aren’t carrying their weight and aren’t buying into the game plan. I listened to the Badger podcast with Granato this week and he said all the right things about the need for a team to be a team - no one should be playing above the name on the front of the sweater - things he learned from Badger Bob. In the NHL you go after the best players, in college you have to go after the right players, and I think we are learning that three first round draft picks look really good on paper, but don’t necessarily translate into a team that can build into a cohesive unit year over year.
        —————-
        “It’s been how many games now, and we know exactly what bit us in the end,” Baker said. “It’s silly mistakes that we keep making that keep biting us. Until we figure out how to play consistently for 60 minutes and guys stay on the team’s page instead of staying on their own, we might be coming out with these same results. It’s not good enough to just play on your skill. So until we have full buy-in from all 27 guys, nothing’s going to change.”
        Last edited by sunprairie; 02-01-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
          I know the coaches are ultimately responsible for getting the team to perform, and I hate the “young team” excuse as much as anyone. But this from Tarek Baker in Todd Milewski’s game story today is pretty telling - and has to make the locker room pretty uncomfortable (as it should be). I hope Baker, Dhooge and Kalynuk are saying this directly to the players they feel aren’t carrying their weight and aren’t buying into the game plan. I listened to the Badger podcast with Granato this week and he said all the right things about the need for a team to be a team - no one should be playing above the name on the front of the sweater - things he learned from Badger Bob. In the NHL you go after the best players, in college you have to go over the right players, and I think we are learning that three first round draft picks look really good on paper, but don’t necessarily translate into a team that can build into a cohesive unit year over year.
          —————-
          “It’s been how many games now, and we know exactly what bit us in the end,” Baker said. “It’s silly mistakes that we keep making that keep biting us. Until we figure out how to play consistently for 60 minutes and guys stay on the team’s page instead of staying on their own, we might be coming out with these same results. It’s not good enough to just play on your skill. So until we have full buy-in from all 27 guys, nothing’s going to change.”
          Translation: Caufield, Turcotte, Holloway and Miller don’t play team games. Fine, tell them they’re ready for the Show now and hurry up about leaving.

They’re by far the most selfish players i’ve Ever seen on the ice in 35 years as a season ticket holder with my Dad and it’s not close.

They’re 4 Kessel’s, get rid of them. Get guys who are talented and will buy in.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
            Sure hope this wasn’t directed at me. I was one of the first people to question this coaching staff while the majority were still in the honeymoon phase.
            Absolutely not, you've been one of the realistic ones. I don't like to call anybody out!

Tim, when team is struggling AND a goalie looks like he can't stop a beach ball, getting the hook MANY times sparks a team because the players feel responsible. It has worked for generations. As a goalie dad, if MCR Jr was pulled I got it, but most important HE got it. IMO it's not a mind game for Granato, just trying to create a spark.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              Translation: Caufield, Turcotte, Holloway and Miller don’t play team games. Fine, tell them they’re ready for the Show now and hurry up about leaving.

They’re by far the most selfish players i’ve Ever seen on the ice in 35 years as a season ticket holder with my Dad and it’s not close.

I know it sounds foolish with the record we have right now, but I could totally see a team led by Achan, Mersch, B. Caufield, Gorniak and Lebedeff take the Badgers to a championship in a couple years. They have the kind of grit and team mentality that could lead a talented underclass to big things. In hindsight, I actually wish there had been an extra year of separation between them and this class so they could have been better able to set that example to the all stars, rather than being so close so that they are seen merely as similar-aged peers.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

That is one of the most bold statements here in....forever. I've wondering myself. Last summer, while being cautiously optimistic, I posted I hope they don't get "swollen domes" and play 1 against 6.

As a big fan it seems ironic to say this, but good riddance to the one-and-dones. What have they done as a team?

EDIT: We aren't going anywhere with Lebedeff. Hopefully the `tendies coming in will shoot to the top of the roster.

Not to be "that guy", but among the grinders who care, they arent confident in the current goalies.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                  I know it sounds foolish with the record we have right now, but I could totally see a team led by Achan, Mersch, B. Caufield, Gorniak and Lebedeff take the Badgers to a championship in a couple years. They have the kind of grit and team mentality that could lead a talented underclass to big things. In hindsight, I actually wish there had been an extra year of separation between them and this class so they could have been better able to set that example to the all stars, rather than being so close so that they are seen merely as similar-aged peers.
                  I’ve thinking a lot about this the past two days. So much so that it’s been fighting my indifference. A big part of me wanted to add in my signature last night .” Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey, NCAA Champions 2022.”
                  And that is based on my watching Achan play last weekend giving it full 60’s. Also, Brock Caufield, Messner And Mersch. Character guys...sorta like Rohlik and Burish. If they’re leaders it can be done.

I’ll be honest our about the one and dones, I really DO want them out of Madison.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    That is one of the most bold statements here in....forever. I've wondering myself. Last summer, while being cautiously optimistic, I posted I hope they don't get "swollen domes" and play 1 against 6.

As a big fan it seems ironic to say this, but good riddance to the one-and-dones. What have they done as a team?
                    It’s shocking when you isolate/focus solely on 8 or 15 and 19. Any name could be stitched into their sweaters in front, they DON’T CARE.

I’d bet anything they have a sense of superiority and arrogance that permeates the locker room.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      I’ve thinking a lot about this the past two days. So much so that it’s been fighting my indifference. A big part of me wanted to add in my signature last night .” Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey, NCAA Champions 2022.”
                      And that is based on my watching Achan play last weekend giving it full 60’s. Also, Brock Caufield, Messner And Mersch. Character guys...sorta like Rohlik and Burish. If they’re leaders it can be done.

I’ll be honest our about the one and dones, I really DO want them out of Madison.
                      This list of guys is the biggest reason I am disappointed in the one and dones. Save for Lindmark, who I could see being our big skill guy as a senior, the one and dones are causing the likes of Messner, B. Caufield and Gotniak to have to platoon this year, and not get the ice time that will benefit them when they are the team’s leaders starting next year. Honestly, I think for the future, all of them should be in the dressed lineup the majority of the way out this season.

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                        Alvarez is in an interesting position. The basketball program isn't relevant anymore nationally. Hockey team is below being relevant.

What's he gonna do? Be a wimp or actually make some changes? I'd lean toward he keeps both guys. But the kohl is empty for hockey. And I've seen empty seats at bbal. Gard wasn't his choice, but Granato was.

I expect him to keep them both. But if he were to fire one of them I'd lean toward Gard as weird as it sounds record wise.
                        Barry will retire before he does anything with Men's Hockey or B Ball.

Comment

I'm sort of an outsider, kiddo plays out east for top 20 team yet grew up and is from Wisco. Several of friends who are Badger Hockey alum. I can't figure this out. Wisco should be a top 10 team. Only thing I can see is the inmates are running the prison. The talent is there, the facilities are out of this world....See teams with a lot less skill and garbage facilities doing a lot more. Having dinner with my kid last night after a huge win, looking at college scores. "how can this actually be happening to Wisconsin? They are stuffed". No idea who to put this on, yet I see a long term coach out here who seems to pull the best out of every kid. He's tough on the boys, yet respectable. Don't know what's happening in Madison, yet its not fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                            I'm sort of an outsider, kiddo plays out east for top 20 team yet grew up and is from Wisco. Several of friends who are Badger Hockey alum. I can't figure this out. Wisco should be a top 10 team. Only thing I can see is the inmates are running the prison. The talent is there, the facilities are out of this world....See teams with a lot less skill and garbage facilities doing a lot more. Having dinner with my kid last night after a huge win, looking at college scores. "how can this actually be happening to Wisconsin? They are stuffed". No idea who to put this on, yet I see a long term coach out here who seems to pull the best out of every kid. He's tough on the boys, yet respectable. Don't know what's happening in Madison, yet its not fun to watch.
                            Just a side note, this program has over 10 guys playing pro hockey and 3 who are huge contributors in the NHL. 2 in the AHL all stare game. The pro thing, carries no relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                              Easy answer is the coaching and/or the kids are me me me types, versus we and us types and no coach can get it to them. But these coaches recruited these guys and it's on them to get them to play as a team.
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The prima donnas can sit tonight. Could it be worse than the 6-2 drubbing last night. Maybe the team would play better. A win would send a message to those that sat that they are dispensable and maybe they’re part of the problem. Minimally we start building for next year by getting the longer term guys more ice time. If it upsets the stars and they pull out now it was just a clear sign they shouldn’t have been here from the start. It would likely send their NHL clubs an interesting message about who they are as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X