X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I wonder if Greenway and/or Bisson will be sitting tonight........
    I doubt it. Smash mouth hockey is Gendron's game. If it occasionally results in a 5 minute major or game misconduct so be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      I doubt it. Smash mouth hockey is Gendron's game. If it occasionally results in a 5 minute major or game misconduct so be it.
      I meant more about if Hockey East will make them sit as opposed to Red.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        And more than occasionally results in pucks in the back of the Maine net.

Are you sure it is smash mouth? Red calls it winning hockey.
        https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Hockey-Defense-featuring-Gendron/dp/B01GUP6C00

It is sad because if there has been one complaint from me during the Gendron era it has been the team defense. During this era I have been very disappointed in the way our D men protect the net front. There has always been a tendency towards making risky passes in front of their own goalie instead of safer up and off the glass out of the zone. There has always been a preference towards offensive defensemen rather than steady ones. The have been no repercussions for lack of discipline in taking unnecessary penalties and cheap shots. The Red era has been far from “winning hockey” in their own end. If they had a reasonably solid team defense in front of Swayman there wouldn’t be these blowouts and there wouldn’t be question marks on if they can get home ice for hockey east playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          And more than occasionally results in pucks in the back of the Maine net.

Are you sure it is smash mouth? Red calls it winning hockey.
          https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Hocke.../dp/B01GUP6C00

It is sad because if there has been one complaint from me during the Gendron era it has been the team defense. During this era I have been very disappointed in the way our D men protect the net front. There has always been a tendency towards making risky passes in front of their own goalie instead of safer up and off the glass out of the zone. There has always been a preference towards offensive defensemen rather than steady ones. The have been no repercussions for lack of discipline in taking unnecessary penalties and cheap shots. The Red era has been far from “winning hockey” in their own end. If they had a reasonably solid team defense in front of Swayman there wouldn’t be these blowouts and there wouldn’t be question marks on if they can get home ice for hockey east playoffs.
          That was an interesting post, and I know you follow the program closely.

I haven't exactly seen poor D for much of Red's tenure. Tim's D, in his later years, made more bone-head mistakes from what I saw.

I think what Maine needs most is more speed and hands. It's hard to win hockey games when you average < 3 GPG.

Anyway, we have tonight's game on the box, and this one would be a quality win. Considering the schedule, this season isn't lost. Not yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I haven't exactly seen poor D for much of Red's tenure. Tim's D, in his later years, made more bone-head mistakes from what I saw.

I think what Maine needs most is more speed and hands. It's hard to win hockey games when you average < 3 GPG.

Anyway, we have tonight's game on the box, and this one would be a quality win. Considering the schedule, this season isn't lost. Not yet.
            Agreed. I think the stretch from St. Lawrence thru Omaha doesn’t really matter that much. From UConn thru the end of the season is what will count. Maine needs to make hay against the bottom of the league and then hope they can get hot for four in a row in March.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I don't think Maine's D is that bad most of the time either, they are actually pretty good at managing zone entries. Where they struggle is with in-zone defense, which is just as much on the forwards as it is on the D. They get caught running around way too much in their own end. And I agree with Fishman, they need better footspeed. Can you name someone besides Robbins in the last couple years that had outstanding footspeed that jumped out at you when you watch a game?

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                I don't think Maine's D is that bad most of the time either, they are actually pretty good at managing zone entries. Where they struggle is with in-zone defense, which is just as much on the forwards as it is on the D. They get caught running around way too much in their own end. And I agree with Fishman, they need better footspeed. Can you name someone besides Robbins in the last couple years that had outstanding footspeed that jumped out at you when you watch a game?
                I've liked Dawes' speed and energy. That's about it for the last few years, as far as speed goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                  You evidently have very high expectations. He was probably the fastest skater in hockey east. Not sure how many players Maine has had that were faster. Having said this, yes Reds team overall has been larger and slower. This doesn’t give them an excuse to play poor defense in front of Swayman. Last night, for example the defensemen pinched in too deep gave up 3-on-1. Similar thing happens from his pair mate on the next goal. Then the cheap shot major by another defensemen. Another defensemen with a major in final minutes. VMT went minus four and played his worst game I think I have seen him play. Yet this is not a problem. Whatever. Go look at the highlights from last night and focus on the defensemen.

Comment

Good night all!

Comment

• VMT has been on the ice for 7 of the 8 goals. He is a minus 6 so far this weekend. His pair mate Bisson has been on the ice for 4 of the 8 goals and is a minus 4. Carvel is throwing skill at that pairing and no adjustments have been made. My guess is Red won’t juggle the pairing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        You evidently have very high expectations. He was probably the fastest skater in hockey east. Not sure how many players Maine has had that were faster. Having said this, yes Reds team overall has been larger and slower. This doesn’t give them an excuse to play poor defense in front of Swayman. Last night, for example the defensemen pinched in too deep gave up 3-on-1. Similar thing happens from his pair mate on the next goal. Then the cheap shot major by another defensemen. Another defensemen with a major in final minutes. VMT went minus four and played his worst game I think I have seen him play. Yet this is not a problem. Whatever. Go look at the highlights from last night and focus on the defensemen.
                        You misunderstood what I said about Robbins. I said he was the fastest player they have, and that he had truly special speed that you noticed when watching him. And yes, VMT is terrible, I've said that many times. He is easily the worst defenseman on the team, and probably the worst player that gets regular playing time.

Comment

Bottom line is this: Maine has no real offensive talent. None of Red's teams have ever had that. It's just more of the same, year after year. We're happy that we stayed home to ski, and to watch tonight's game without any expectations whatsoever.

And we saw what we expected to see, but at least we were in our PJ's at the time, not 2-3 hours out and looking for a bite before the haul back home.

Does anyone travel much out of his way to see a Red team on the road anymore?

As tip said last year: you can be bad, or you can be boring, but you can't do both.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-07-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            You misunderstood what I said about Robbins. I said he was the fastest player they have, and that he had truly special speed that you noticed when watching him. And yes, VMT is terrible, I've said that many times. He is easily the worst defenseman on the team, and probably the worst player that gets regular playing time.
                            There were a couple of players that were in that don’t normally see, Gaudette and Holesinski. I didn’t notice Holesinski much at either end of the ice. Gaudette mostly caught my eye when playing defense in his own zone. He actually looked like and extra defensemen on a couple shifts. It was nice to see that side of his game. Not sure if he might have been a defensemen at some point in his youth/junior hockey.

Comment

Maine is now behind Sacred Heart, Army, Alaska and RIT in the PW, not to mention 22 other teams.

Comment

Maine is now behind Sacred Heart, Army, Alaska and RIT in the PW, not to mention 22 other teams.
                                Yet they’re ahead of BU, UNH, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Weird times to say the least.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X