X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    To follow up on that, I don't know all the details involved in regard to how much Maine will pay for a HC and things ended badly with Montgomery in Dallas but if he goes through the rehabilitation process and proves to be a changed man, could he be a possibility? Other than him entering rehab I don't think any details have come out in regard to why he was fired. I bet he gets another chance somewhere. When I look at what Leaman, Bazin and Madigan have done in recent years I don't think it's a stretch to say Maine could get back to an NCAA tournament level team with the right coach.
    If he completes rehab and keeps his nose clean I think he'll get another chance, too. Addiction is universally considered a disease these days, and seeking treatment doesn't carry the stigma it once did. Having said that, he might need a few years to prove himself again, and I'd be stoked if those years were spent behind the Maine bench.

And yeah, Maine is probably only 3-4 quality forwards from being a tournament team. Been that way for years now. Red just can't seem to get over that hump. I bet Jimmy could.

Referencing your other post, I can't see Moore coaching at the college level anytime soon. He appears to be on the fast track to an NHL job, and good for him.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-22-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Is Greg the only Maine native to play in the NHL? Damon never got the invite, but I see that he's still playing in Europe at age 39 (!)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Is Greg the only Maine native to play in the NHL? Damon never got the invite, but I see that he's still playing in Europe at age 39 (!)
        Eric Weinrich played 1000+ NHL games. His background says he's born in Virginia, but he grew up and played in the Augusta area (I forget which school) before going to North Yarmouth Academy and on to Maine.
        Last edited by GreenBear; 01-22-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hockey-Reference.com lists 8 players born in Maine who played in the NHL:
          Code:
          NHL Players Born in Maine, United States
          Rk Player	    From-To   Pos   GP   G    A  PTS  +/-  PIM  Birth City      Birth Date  Death Date
           1 Danny Bolduc	    1979-1984  LW  102  22   19   41  -22   33  Waterville      1953-04-06
           2 Jon DiSalvatore  2006-2012  RW    6   0    0    0   -1    4  Bangor          1981-03-30
           3 Brian Dumoulin   2014-2020   D  342  11   70   81   55   92  Biddeford       1991-09-06
           4 Doug Friedman    1998-1999  LW   18   0    1    1    0   34  Cape Elizabeth  1971-09-01
           5 Garnet Hathaway  2016-2020  RW  221  22   30   52   24  274  Kennebunkport   1991-11-23
           6 Jeff Libby       1998-1998   D    1   0    0    0    0    0  Waterville      1974-03-01
           7 Greg Moore       2008-2010  RW   10   0    0    0   -2    0  Lisbon          1984-03-26
           8 Oliver Wahlstrom 2020-2020  RW    9   0    0    0   -2    4  Portland        2000-06-13
          I remember Doug Friedman: he was captain of the 1993-94 BU team.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Than a guy whos made $30 million in the NHL? No.
            No doubt Nyquist had a much better career, but when it comes to raw talent I think Acquino was a lot better. We don’t really talk about him much but him not working out was a big blow.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
              He made the team as a walk-on, if memory serves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                No doubt Nyquist had a much better career, but when it comes to raw talent I think Acquino was a lot better. We don’t really talk about him much but him not working out was a big blow.
                Cream rises. I mean, Luc didnt make it anywhere. Ill concede the old point about the kid who got kicked out and played like 500 AHL games (Sill maybe) being talented. Its not like the other kid left and lit it up. As talented as like Billy Ryan based on his pro career. Not as talented as Gus, one of the best 5-10 forwards in Hockey East in the last 10-15 years.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Cream rises. I mean, Luc didnt make it anywhere. Ill concede the old point about the kid who got kicked out and played like 500 AHL games (Sill maybe) being talented. Its not like the other kid left and lit it up. As talented as like Billy Ryan based on his pro career. Not as talented as Gus, one of the best 5-10 forwards in Hockey East in the last 10-15 years.
                  Nyquist was a special player, he was worth the price of admission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Hockey-Reference.com lists 8 players born in Maine who played in the NHL:
                    Code:
                    NHL Players Born in Maine, United States
                    Rk Player	    From-To   Pos   GP   G    A  PTS  +/-  PIM  Birth City      Birth Date  Death Date
                     1 Danny Bolduc	    1979-1984  LW  102  22   19   41  -22   33  Waterville      1953-04-06
                     2 Jon DiSalvatore  2006-2012  RW    6   0    0    0   -1    4  Bangor          1981-03-30
                     3 Brian Dumoulin   2014-2020   D  342  11   70   81   55   92  Biddeford       1991-09-06
                     4 Doug Friedman    1998-1999  LW   18   0    1    1    0   34  Cape Elizabeth  1971-09-01
                     5 Garnet Hathaway  2016-2020  RW  221  22   30   52   24  274  Kennebunkport   1991-11-23
                     6 Jeff Libby       1998-1998   D    1   0    0    0    0    0  Waterville      1974-03-01
                     7 Greg Moore       2008-2010  RW   10   0    0    0   -2    0  Lisbon          1984-03-26
                     8 Oliver Wahlstrom 2020-2020  RW    9   0    0    0   -2    4  Portland        2000-06-13

Sean
                    Good stuff, as usual. Thanks.

I didn't remember Libby getting a cup of coffee, but he and Moore are it.

Does anyone know if Hathaway was recruited by Maine? I'd never heard of him before, but I don't follow the NHL much aside from those teams who have Bears on their rosters.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                      Yeah that was Sill. Played in 93 NHL games, too. Still playing in Europe at age 31. He only appeared 6 times for Maine.

That Sill-Czuba-Dekastrossa recruiting class was the handwriting on the wall for the end of the Whitehead Era, IMO, though it looks in hindsight that Sill was a lot better than he appeared to be back then.

Comment

Jeff Libby's career ended prematurely when he lost his eye due to a severe cut from a skate.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Jeff Libby's career ended prematurely when he lost his eye due to a severe cut from a skate.
                          That was a tragedy. I remember it. But I think that that happened after his NHL debut.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-23-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

That was a tragedy. I remember it. But I think that happened after his NHL debut.

I could be wrong. Half the time I am.
                            You are correct. It happened in a AHL game against Lowell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              You are correct. It happened in a AHL game against Lowell.
                              You gonna help him with the name of his bar next?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Yeah that was Sill. Played in 93 NHL games, too. Still playing in Europe at age 31. He only appeared 6 times for Maine.

That Sill-Czuba-Dekastrossa recruiting class was the handwriting on the wall for the end of the Whitehead Era, IMO, though it looks in hindsight that Sill was a lot better than he appeared to be back then.
                                Then that kid Sweetland left way early for nothing.

But the Abbott Diamond ONeill Flynn Darling class was ridiculous. Unfortunately the on ice coaching and commitment to team D/not blowing leads bit then big time. Seriously. Tim’s on ice coaching the last 3-4 years was a way bigger issue than recruiting

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X