Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halak on his head. So goaltending in Boston is strong. Bruins now mirrors Maine...

Comment

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      I think we are also forgetting Standbrook and his role in scouring to no end and fixing one aspect of a players game. He could take an overlooked kid and work on an aspect and turn him into a top player. Not all worked out, but as a whole body of work he raised the quality of players as a whole by finding kids with heart and determination to be better, and making them be better. Combine that with Walsh’s salesmanship and bench work.... a combo that is difficult to replicate.
      I think Grant was the best assistant coach in the 35 seasons I have been watching BU and college hockey.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I think Grant was the best assistant coach in the 35 seasons I have been watching BU and college hockey.

Sean
        Not only the best assistant but a down to earth good man...a real Gentlemen with Class.

Comment

One thing about location, if your winning and playing for something it isn't hard to find, but lose/lose/lose and dole out excuses, and guess what nobody knows where it is or cares and that has happen to the Program in Orono.

Comment

• Maine has dropped from 22nd to 32nd in the pairwise rankings after the loss since I checked last which was after the UNO series.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Came back in. He seemed fine after coming back.
              Was just reading Mahoney article in BDN, Tralmaks evidently didnt play 2nd or 3rd periods. Red wont comment on his injury, typical.
              Could be a game changer in next few weekends.

Great quote by Red.
              “The bottom line was we didn’t score enough goals and we gave up too many to win the game. It’s as simple as that,” Gendron said.
              Last edited by NorthMike; 01-17-2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                Yes Really
                As a coach he had a way with people that was special. I happened to be in the rink once during a practice at the time when Grant was still with Whitehead, Grant was on the ice alone with a group of a dozen or so players showing them a situation skating move. What struck me was that he had 100% of their attention. What a teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  If location is the problem should the program be moved to USM?
                  Don't you mean the University of Maine at Portland??
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

You need to be able to sell your program regardless of where it is located. Dynamic coaching and a recent tradition of getting kids to the NHL would help. Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

Maine doesn't really have any of those things to sell right now.

We could just start cheating again.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      You need to be able to sell your program regardless of where it is located. Dynamic coaching and a recent tradition of getting kids to the NHL would help. Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

We could just start cheating again.
                      Well that's the new norm, ask them in Boston....seems to be the recipe to winning.

Comment

this is the same maine team weve seen for last 8 or so years Cellar dwellars very little talent even the goalie is not that high on the talent list or he would be playing somewhere else

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

But again there are many examples of schools like this with better hockey success.
                          Not that Maine is so bad. The school.
                          Last edited by NorthMike; 01-18-2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            Was just reading Mahoney article in BDN, Tralmaks evidently didnt play 2nd or 3rd periods. Red wont comment on his injury, typical.
                            Could be a game changer in next few weekends.

Great quote by Red.
                            “The bottom line was we didn’t score enough goals and we gave up too many to win the game. It’s as simple as that,” Gendron said.
                            His brilliant hockey mind at work there...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Yes Really
                              As a coach he had a way with people that was special. I happened to be in the rink once during a practice at the time when Grant was still with Whitehead, Grant was on the ice alone with a group of a dozen or so players showing them a situation skating move. What struck me was that he had 100% of their attention. What a teacher.
                              I had the pleasure of visiting with him at the Tsongas years ago, between periods, and when Walsh was still on the bench.

He (very generously) chatted me up for the entire intermission, and it was so easy to recognize his hockey acumen, and why guys wanted to play for him.

One of a kind, and probably as much a reason that Maine ruled the roost for a while as was Shawn.

Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by tony potter View Post
                                this is the same maine team weve seen for last 8 or so years Cellar dwellars very little talent even the goalie is not that high on the talent list or he would be playing somewhere else
                                Bad Maine teams: yes, as far as Swayman...have you seen him play??? He would be a top goalie for just about 90% of the teams in College Hockey...you have your opinion, but you missed the boat on Swayman.

Comment

Working...
                                X