X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    Back at South Portland hotel.
    I loved tonight’s game... classic college hockey. It did get physical and there appears to be no love lost between the two teams.

It appeared that Maine didn’t show up for the first sixteen minutes, then it was Katie-bar-the-door for the next four minutes and two periods.

Both goalies played well. There were a couple pings off the pipes.

Question... I honestly thought Maine was offside on their second goal. Omaha coach challenged the goal. It was reviewed and determined to be a goal. Shouldn’t there have been a penalty against UNO or coach Mike Gabinet for the rejected challenge? Delay of Game penalty?

The hockey game was number 24 for me this season, with 23 being NCAA D-1 and one being AHL.
    The arena was number 105 for me, lifetime, and the seventh new one this season.

I will try to hit the pre-game get-together on Saturday, though I am one of those 60-year-old geeks that likes to be waiting in the lobby when doors open.

And Jeremy at Merrimack has assured me that they won’t start the 5 p.m. game (against UMass Lowell) without me being present, so that’s where I am headed at the conclusion of tomorrow afternoon’s contest.
    I was on that Blueline in question and 4 of us thought the same, offsides...surprised...but happy it was not called.

Comment

I came away very impressed with Omaha, solid team that likes to skate and quick crisp passing...they are in shape they play hard all period long...I like there style of play, attacking and aggressive...Maine's Swayman to me was the top player on the ice...he was the difference in it being a tie and not a lopsided loss of say 5-1. Kudos also to Dawes and Drobot and Smith, all three came out hard and played well to cause Omaha a pain when they were on the ice....and as far as Greenway, he has talent, but he's lazy and plays with a edge that leads to penalty's...he is due if there was a Coach in place to watch a game or two in the stands...like I said he has the talent, but he just does not get it(imo only)...time for the edge play and a time to act like a hockey player with skill.

Comment

Oh, and I was wickedly impressed with Omaha’s first Power Play. They didn’t score, but, man, they were all in place and really had some unique/trick moves and passes. I wouldn’t want to be on a 5-minute Penalty Kill against them.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
          Oh, and I was wickedly impressed with Omaha’s first Power Play. They didn’t score, but, man, they were all in place and really had some unique/trick moves and passes. I wouldn’t want to be on a 5-minute Penalty Kill against them.
          They have a real good team and they play in a tough Conference(NCHC)...they do give teams a hard night of play(imo).

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            Back at South Portland hotel.
            I loved tonight’s game... classic college hockey. It did get physical and there appears to be no love lost between the two teams.

It appeared that Maine didn’t show up for the first sixteen minutes, then it was Katie-bar-the-door for the next four minutes and two periods.

Both goalies played well. There were a couple pings off the pipes.

Question... I honestly thought Maine was offside on their second goal. Omaha coach challenged the goal. It was reviewed and determined to be a goal. Shouldn’t there have been a penalty against UNO or coach Mike Gabinet for the rejected challenge? Delay of Game penalty?

The hockey game was number 24 for me this season, with 23 being NCAA D-1 and one being AHL.
            The arena was number 105 for me, lifetime, and the seventh new one this season.

I will try to hit the pre-game get-together on Saturday, though I am one of those 60-year-old geeks that likes to be waiting in the lobby when doors open.

And Jeremy at Merrimack has assured me that they won’t start the 5 p.m. game (against UMass Lowell) without me being present, so that’s where I am headed at the conclusion of tomorrow afternoon’s contest.
            Got you a mall hotel huh, well good to hear you enjoyed yourself last night. It was a good game, I enjoyed it too. Maine actually surprised me that they stepped up their play. Omaha has talent, size and speed, among other good things.

Good to hear your going to Merrimack game. Come back again sometime.
            Last edited by NorthMike; 01-04-2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              I came away very impressed with Omaha, solid team that likes to skate and quick crisp passing...they are in shape they play hard all period long...I like there style of play, attacking and aggressive...Maine's Swayman to me was the top player on the ice...he was the difference in it being a tie and not a lopsided loss of say 5-1. Kudos also to Dawes and Drobot and Smith, all three came out hard and played well to cause Omaha a pain when they were on the ice....and as far as Greenway, he has talent, but he's lazy and plays with a edge that leads to penalty's...he is due if there was a Coach in place to watch a game or two in the stands...like I said he has the talent, but he just does not get it(imo only)...time for the edge play and a time to act like a hockey player with skill.
              Greenway can't pass at all and sometimes just does the puck throw away move cause he's pressured. I'd like to see his stats for turnovers. Otherwise he is a decent defender around the net.

I think Omaha wins today.

Comment

Sorry, didn’t make it to today’s pre-game gathering.
                Ticketmaster chose to have me park next to the Westin.
                Westin Valet felt bad for me, so he drove me to Arena.
                He told me about Russian game here prior to Lake Placid.
                After trip to box office Will Call, talked to another long-time Portland fan who went to that game versus Russia. He is Miami (Ohio) grad.
                Am in section U today.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  Greenway can't pass at all and sometimes just does the puck throw away move cause he's pressured. I'd like to see his stats for turnovers. Otherwise he is a decent defender around the net.

I think Omaha wins today.
                  He likes to possess the puck. He isn’t the type to quickly get rid of it. More of a lugger. I think he does well lugging the puck. He’s not afraid to get in deep on the offensive side. He does well protecting the net front. I think he has been arguably Maine’s best defensemen this season. His weakness has been a bit late and brutal on his hits. Then when called he has a temper against officials. If he could cut out the late hits and the temper tantrums he’d be just about right. He really has a nhl capability... I expect he’ll be there some day. His puck handling in traffic is impressive for a big man. Great mits for his size.

Comment

A good game, but lacking the intensity of last night’s game though.
                    Omaha 27-19 SOG after two.
                    2-2 score after two.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      A good game, but lacking the intensity of last night’s game though.
                      Omaha 27-19 SOG after two.
                      2-2 score after two.
                      Great effort on that goal. Tralmaks comes back out to play. Good game. Mavericks are Big.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                        Great effort on that goal. Tralmaks comes back out to play. Good game. Mavericks are Big.
                        Rennaker goal out of le penalty box was a beauty.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                          Rennaker goal out of le penalty box was a beauty.
                          Excellent win. Great goaltending. Great perseverance. Especially against a team as big as Omaha.

Comment

Swayman ++++++++++ this weekend.

Comment

GBB had the shot attempts at 66-37 for UNO. Does that sound right to those of you who saw the game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                GBB had the shot attempts at 66-37 for UNO. Does that sound right to those of you who saw the game?
                                No.

Comment

Working...
                                X