X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I don't think Coach Cavanaugh is a better coach than Coach Gendron, although he may be a better recruiter. After last night's game their career records are close:
    Coach Gendron - 92-124-29, 0.435
    Coach Cavanaugh - 86-119-31, 0.430

So, if Coach Gendron has had less talent, then he is the slightly better game coach. However, Coach Cavanaugh does own the head-to-head record between the two. In reality both coaches should probably be terminated if they don't end up with winning records overall and in league play and make the tournament this season.

Sean
    Add Vermont's Snedden to that list of possible Coaching change, he more likely then at UConn and Maine

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Cavanaugh is the better recruiter in my mind. He has recruited better talent without a team legacy (unlike Maine) , so I think it's been harder for him. As you point out Cavanaugh has the better record head to head and both are serving as first time head coaches. It's just a gut feeling, but I would terminate Gendron and bring back Cavanaugh for a couple of years.
      I'd be happy bringing Cav in here next yr.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        I'd be happy bringing Cav in here next yr.
        I think he would do well. It’s kind of crazy that he is getting on a bit. I’m sure for a lot of us he’s still kind of a young up and coming coach.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Cavanaugh is the better recruiter in my mind. He has recruited better talent without a team legacy (unlike Maine) , so I think it's been harder for him. As you point out Cavanaugh has the better record head to head and both are serving as first time head coaches. It's just a gut feeling, but I would terminate Gendron and bring back Cavanaugh for a couple of years.
          I know blaming Red is the easy and popular thing to do on this forum, but I blame the University of Maine for the lack of recruiting talent. What does Red have to sell these kids on? The atmosphere and the tradition. It ends there.

What teenager is going to be sold on that compared to top-notch facilities at schools like BU, BC, UMass, Northeastern, Providence and UConn? None.

What teenager is going to want to spend three or four years in Orono, ME instead of Boston or any of those areas mentioned above? None.

You can have the best salesman in the world, but it's still hard to sell poop.

Times have changed and most young kids no longer care about tradition or anything along those lines. They want nice facilities and they want to play where they'll be noticed. Right now, those places are located in southern New England.

Look at the four teams at the bottom of the Hockey East standings: Maine, Merrimack, Vermont and UNH.

I don't necessarily think those four teams all have terrible coaches. I think that a combination of facilities and location, compared to the top-tier programs, make it tough to recruit top-tier talent to play at those four schools.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
            I know blaming Red is the easy and popular thing to do on this forum, but I blame the University of Maine for the lack of recruiting talent. What does Red have to sell these kids on? The atmosphere and the tradition. It ends there.

What teenager is going to be sold on that compared to top-notch facilities at schools like BU, BC, UMass, Northeastern, Providence and UConn? None.

What teenager is going to want to spend three or four years in Orono, ME instead of Boston or any of those areas mentioned above? None.

Times have changed and most young kids no longer care about tradition or anything along those lines. They want nice facilities and they want to play where they'll be noticed. Right now, those places are located in southern New England.

Look at the four teams at the bottom of the Hockey East standings: Maine, Merrimack, Vermont and UNH.

I don't necessarily think those four teams all have terrible coaches. I think that a combination of facilities and location, compared to the top-tier programs, make it tough to recruit top-tier talent to play at those four schools.
            Winning Programs that play for Hardware adds to making a recruiting pitch better...but true Orono is a hard sell...but you need someone that knows and cares on doing his job...no matter where you play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post

No doubt its tough to recruit to a state school versus private. But Walshy did it successfully back in the days....granted he sold the kids on helping to build and being a part of a powerhouse from the ground up. And he wasnt afraid to recruit head to head with the established programs of the time. Its not all about recruiting but certainly a very significant part of being successful.

Red seems to be able to coach to the lower end of the middle of the pack and thats about it. How long has it been since the Bears have been to the Garden? At least Whitehead sniffed at a few appearances there, but Red naddah.

Most probably all the Northern New England schools will perpetually be mired in the cellar of hockey east with one occasionally rising to the middle of the pack......but top four ? Nah, I doubt that very much.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                Winning Programs that play for Hardware adds to making a recruiting pitch better...but true Orono is a hard sell...but you need someone that knows and cares on doing his job...no matter where you play the game.
                North Dakota. Not exactly an urban mecca for attracting student athletes but they have a winning tradition and facilities. Probably an outlier to goblue51's argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  North Dakota. Not exactly an urban mecca for attracting student athletes but they have a winning tradition and facilities. Probably an outlier to goblue51's argument.
                  Duluth to name another, there are more.
                  I don't buy the argument goblue51 presents. As a player would you go to York's team or Reds, no brainer. It's about coaching and development. Yeh some kids might not want rural or a state school atmospheres but there's lots of talent who won't mind.

Comment

If location is the problem should the program be moved to USM?
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post

There's no easy answer as to how Maine could return to being a nationally relevant program. It's a combination of all the things you mentioned, as well as the unquantifiable variable of the kids themselves. Some kids don't like the hustle and bustle of the city, and might be charmed by Orono's small town feel. This is especially true in hockey compared to other sports, just because of who average hockey players are and where they come from. Some kid from a small town in Canada or Minnesota where they only have a stoplight, a gas station, and a rink is likely to feel more comfortable in a place like Orono playing for Maine than they would on Comm Ave playing for BU. And as others have said, there are plenty of examples of successful programs either now or in the recent past in rural locations, like NoDak, Duluth, Clarkson, Miami, Northern Michigan, and more. Hell, even Amherst is probably just as rural as Orono, if you've never been down there it's way more rural then you'd think, and they look like they're starting to establish themselves as one of the new titans of Hockey East. The rural area argument works for other sports (i.e, basketball), but I don't think its a valid argument for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                        There's no easy answer as to how Maine could return to being a nationally relevant program. It's a combination of all the things you mentioned, as well as the unquantifiable variable of the kids themselves. Some kids don't like the hustle and bustle of the city, and might be charmed by Orono's small town feel. This is especially true in hockey compared to other sports, just because of who average hockey players are and where they come from. Some kid from a small town in Canada or Minnesota where they only have a stoplight, a gas station, and a rink is likely to feel more comfortable in a place like Orono playing for Maine than they would on Comm Ave playing for BU. And as others have said, there are plenty of examples of successful programs either now or in the recent past in rural locations, like NoDak, Duluth, Clarkson, Miami, Northern Michigan, and more. Hell, even Amherst is probably just as rural as Orono, if you've never been down there it's way more rural then you'd think, and they look like they're starting to establish themselves as one of the new titans of Hockey East. The rural area argument works for other sports (i.e, basketball), but I don't think its a valid argument for hockey.
                        I agree. Hell, even Lake State was a dynasty...

But they had this coach named Jeff Jackson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          I agree. Hell, even Lake State was a dynasty...

But they had this coach named Jeff Jackson.
                          In my opinion, coaching is the #1 variable for success. Shortly behind it though is organizational support. Sometimes I bet they follow each other, through. Like finding a good coach who can bring success might inspire administration to invest more in a soon to be successful product, or the opposite: deciding to spend more money can then lead to finding a better coach, by being willing to pay him more and by giving a larger search budget.

All this said, I don't see Red being fired this summer with one year left on his deal. The real question will be if he gets an extension after next season, or if they decide to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            In my opinion, coaching is the #1 variable for success. Shortly behind it though is organizational support. Sometimes I bet they follow each other, through. Like finding a good coach who can bring success might inspire administration to invest more in a soon to be successful product, or the opposite: deciding to spend more money can then lead to finding a better coach, by being willing to pay him more and by giving a larger search budget.

All this said, I don't see Red being fired this summer with one year left on his deal. The real question will be if he gets an extension after next season, or if they decide to move on.
                            I'm with you; eating Red's contract would be a dumb move. The damage has already been done there.

But renewing him yet again would be even dumber.

(Good God, could that possibly happen?)

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post

I think we are also forgetting Standbrook and his role in scouring to no end and fixing one aspect of a players game. He could take an overlooked kid and work on an aspect and turn him into a top player. Not all worked out, but as a whole body of work he raised the quality of players as a whole by finding kids with heart and determination to be better, and making them be better. Combine that with Walsh’s salesmanship and bench work.... a combo that is difficult to replicate.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                Duluth to name another, there are more.
                                I don't buy the argument goblue51 presents. As a player would you go to York's team or Reds, no brainer. It's about coaching and development. Yeh some kids might not want rural or a state school atmospheres but there's lots of talent who won't mind.
                                Do we want to take a look at the gym at both universities?

Do we want to take a look at the dorms at both universities?

The locker room? The cafeteria? Need I go on?

It’s more than just the location. There’s a reason why a lot of in-state students chose to go elsewhere.

The entire campus needs to catch up to other universities.

Comment

Working...
                                X