This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

I'm not going to speculate about the financial bottom-lines re: any Maine sports... And I'm pretty sure that none of us on here have the data to discuss that topic with any accuracy. None of us have access to the books, would be my guess.

Having said that, football has been worth more money to me than has hockey for a while now. (Not a lot of bang for the buck, granted, but hockey hasn't returned one thin dime in the net since Red was hired, while football absolutely has. It's been very easy to decide where to spend money and drive for miles to see Blue lately.)

It's clear to me that if hockey is to be resurrected, the very first move is to dump Red... That's as clear as glass to me, has been for years, and is logically irrefutable.

When he's gone, this discussion might make more sense. Right now, not so much. It might be less about the allocation of resources in Maine sports than it is about the hires, and Red was an awful choice, yet Maine doubled-down on that one.

I'll never figure that one out. Talk about "throwing good money after bad".
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-09-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Analysis of spending and revenue has been posted on here before, I believe by Sean Picket. He has spreadsheets and all from univ reporting.

Comment

Fish, when was the last you were in Orono?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I blame Red. I blame Steve Abbott for hiring him. I blame Abbott for waiting 2 years to fire Whitehead when Leaman was available.

“Pie in the Sky candidates” I mean they could’ve hired Bob Corkum and been better than this. The guy’s going to win a gold medal in a couple years.

The institutional support thing bugs me too. Whitehead complained about it at the end. So now we’re saying Maine can’t win bc the support? So Whitehead was right all along then? Far as I’m concerned its excuse making.
          Last edited by BoSox3066; 12-10-2019, 08:47 AM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Montgomery just got canned in Dallas... Come on Ken Ralph!

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
              Wow, didn't see that coming.
              Here we go, onto dreams of Monty.

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                Fired for "unprofessional conduct", whatever that means. I wonder if he's been caught up in the Peters/Babcock/etc scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Fish, when was the last you were in Orono?

Oh I stop by most years, but just to look around and reminisce. I admit to knowing nothing from the inside anymore.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-10-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    Fired for "unprofessional conduct", whatever that means. I wonder if he's been caught up in the Peters/Babcock/etc scandal.
                    Bettman had a press release yesterday that touched on some of that stuff, talking about professional conduct... sounds like there may be some not so good news coming... press conference at 11...

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                      And that will be why he will be not considered by Maine, now with this happening can you bet there will be 101 ways that Montgomery is coming to Maine. Will spice up this thread and rumors galore from today till the end of this season. IMO I always thought that Coaching College Hockey was Montgomery...he's more or less in the Shawn Walsh mode where he's a maverick type but his teams and planning are always thought thru. Well its Christmas time and we can all dream.

Comment

Monty had that DWI arrest pre-Denver, now this (whatever it is). You have to wonder how employable he'll be after the news comes out.

Too bad, he can obviously coach. I wanted him as Tim's replacement, but hard to say if any college will want to deal with the PR factor now.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Monty had that DWI arrest pre-Denver, now this (whatever it is). You have to wonder how employable he'll be after the news comes out.

Too bad, he can obviously coach. I wanted him as Tim's replacement, but hard to say if any college will want to deal with the PR factor now.
                          The rumor is that this one has nothing to do with abuse or racism accusations, a la Peters. Maybe it's another DUI type charge.

Comment

The team was doing pretty well so it must be something pretty bad?

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If they didnt look at Monty due to PR 6 years ago theres no way they will now.

Although he may need a job on the cheap to rebuild image, and cheap may be music to Maines ears

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I would figure he will get a job somewhere's...PR or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X