X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
    Love it! I know it’s far fetched but you have to think the university would be foolish to not at least reach to Monty. I’ve heard every rumor so far and I have no idea what he did. If it was infidelity, I can live with that, if it was drugs or alcohol related, I can live with that. All these people saying “he had a dui in his past!! No way we can hire him.” Have any of these people ever been to a game at the Alfond? Half of the arena is hammered and i can guarantee they’re not getting ubers home.
    This part is definitely a contender for POTY. Nice work!

Most fun I've had on a Maine thread in years.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.
      amk, what's your perspective as a young Maine fan as far your expectations or hopes? I'm interested in hearing it.

(Us old fahts often resemble an echo-chamber on here, clearly. It would be refreshing to get a little more real right about now.)
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-11-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.
        If Maine could regularly host hockey east quarterfinals I would be content.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Well, it did rule out anything involving any former or current players.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that he got caught coaching while drunk.

(Whoa..! Maybe that Red's problem, too!)
          I read a quote where Nill said he was surprised. There were many other tweets where it is known he had fun of the ice. Not sure this would fall under surprising Nill.

It also is said this is not under the new Betmen four points policy, which seems to rule out racism or abuse. In fact it seems his players are surprised and have good things to say and don’t appear to be aware of the issue.

It also is not a criminal issue, so this rules out a lot.

It also doesn’t involve a stars employee.

Maybe he just put beans in his chili. Or he was caught grilling a veggie burger.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Well, it did rule out anything involving any former or current players.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that he got caught coaching while drunk..........
            Based on what officially has been ruled out as unprofessional conduct, I think you may have nailed it.

Comment

amk, what's your perspective as a young Maine fan as far your expectations or hopes? I'm interested in hearing it.

(Us old fahts often resemble an echo-chamber on here, clearly. It would be refreshing to get a little more real right about now.)
              I used to think that Maine's long-term expectations should be something like a team thats usually around .500, with a good year every now and then that sees them win 20-25 games and make the national tournament, possibly making a serious run. The landscape is changing, and Orono isn't exactly a prime destination for the majority of young people. However, the more I think about it, a team more in the range of routine national tournament participant that makes a run now and again is what we should be striving for. Its been proven that you can be a successful program in a rural area in hockey, as we've seen programs like Clarkson, Michigan Tech, Union, Miami, and others be in the national tournament somewhat routinely in the last several years, and none of those are exactly bustling metropolitan centers. We've also seen former also-rans be built up into consistent national contenders, like Massachusetts and Northeastern just in our own conference to name a few. I think the days of what Maine was for the 15 years from 1992-2007 are gone and never coming back, 5 national championship game appearances in 11 years should not be counted on to happen again. Bottom line, Maine should strive for being a routine national tournament participant, and some years they miss out and sag to .500, and others where they win a few games and make it to the FF. FWIW, I also think Maine will win another national championship in my lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                I used to think that Maine's long-term expectations should be something like a team thats usually around .500, with a good year every now and then that sees them win 20-25 games and make the national tournament, possibly making a serious run. The landscape is changing, and Orono isn't exactly a prime destination for the majority of young people. However, the more I think about it, a team more in the range of routine national tournament participant that makes a run now and again is what we should be striving for. Its been proven that you can be a successful program in a rural area in hockey, as we've seen programs like Clarkson, Michigan Tech, Union, Miami, and others be in the national tournament somewhat routinely in the last several years, and none of those are exactly bustling metropolitan centers. We've also seen former also-rans be built up into consistent national contenders, like Massachusetts and Northeastern just in our own conference to name a few. I think the days of what Maine was for the 15 years from 1992-2007 are gone and never coming back, 5 national championship game appearances in 11 years should not be counted on to happen again. Bottom line, Maine should strive for being a routine national tournament participant, and some years they miss out and sag to .500, and others where they win a few games and make it to the FF. FWIW, I also think Maine will win another national championship in my lifetime.
                In your lifetime? 🤣

That was a bold prediction. Way to put your neck out there.

Imagine if you are wrong though, none of us will be around to tell you that you are wrong. 🤔

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                  In your lifetime? 🤣

Imagine if you are wrong though, none of us will be around to tell you that you are wrong. 🤔
                  I only included that because my father does not agree, lol. I know it's not the hottest of takes you'll see on here.

Comment

I would like to see a New Coach in place that when here, his design is to make it his Program...to win. A team that has a work ethic second to none, a team that recruits players based on talent and not just BIG-BIGGER-BIGGEST...and the trade mark of Maine and is with all teams, solid goaltending, a backup that is as good as the starter. A team that prides itself on defense and discipline. A team that a .500 season is a bad season, winning some where's from 18-20-22 in the regular season, placing in the top 5 of Hockey East, going to Boston 2 out of every 4 year cycle, legit chance at being in the NCAA's 2 out of every 4 years. Having a team that the Alfond is full 85% of the time and is the ACE in the hole, that no team wants to play Maine there. Sounds like a lot and not realistic at this time, but goals in making the Team better is what this is about. I didn't add being in the Frozen 4, because for now the rebuild/retool will be more important in setting the foundation of ever going to the Frozen 4. I am a old timer, I "HOPE" but for now I don't see Maine winning the Frozen 4 in the next 5-6 years...maybe after that...but,???????...time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      In your lifetime? 🤣

Gotta give the young man credit for knowing how to cover his a**. It heartens to see that Maine is still attracting the best and the brightest.

Comment

Gotta give the young man credit for knowing how to cover his a**. It heartens to see that Maine is still attracting the best and the brightest.
                        Oh no doubt. From a bright mind and engineering side it is. But can’t show that off to most folks. Unless darpa gives me a grant on neural network brain learning with a life like robot modeled after Lindros. We would have a whole team of Lindai. But one would be tweaked for butterfly. One hybrid shield goalie. Three tweaked like Scott Stevens. Then four like Modano. And eight like Kariya.

Comment

• The question was and is how often do you get back to Orono. Not nearly as much as I would like. Truth is last time I did I had kiddos go to the planetarium, which I would encourage all locals to check out. I showed them campus and bought Maine gear in new look commons/book store. But I get through Orono a lot. But through campus is different. Because sometimes old ****ers like me will refuse to go when there is a clear problem behind the bench.

Comment

Oh oh...

D***, it's only Thursday here.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-12-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Oh oh...

I’m trying my hardest to make a connection... which is the stars organization and Orono Maine. It might take a while but it can work or fail. 🤣✌️

Comment

Oh oh...

How’s this... the only difference between Orono and Orion... Io ...

Comment

Working...
                                X