X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
    Well lets start another rumor then. Last I heard (right after the BU weekend) Gendron got his extension. I expect that he will be with us until he decides to retire. The school is in pretty hard times financially so I think a buy out or hiring a new high priced coach isn't in the cards for now...
    Given the financial situation in Maine I wouldn't doubt Red got an extension. They probably wouldn't announce for fear of more fans throwing there hands up in disgust. Sway staying would be great but he really isn't in control of that if the money is right. Happy New Year to one and all.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

To this Red extension rumor; it would be a shame and disappointment for sure, surprise yes. I just cant see a traditional extension being offered, for example two more years. I could see one more year with some of the contract boiler plate removed leaving the door open to replace him after next season. I believe buying out his last year of the contract (next season) is not realistic when the Pres said she was against this practice. Which in principle I agree with, the coaching situations should be better managed.

I don’t see Red as being in a position of strength for negotiating much with an extension. Why couldn’t a one year extension be written to provide benefits for the program while setting the transitioning for the eventual replacement of Red. Like including performance goals for Red after next year leaving the door open to replace him without buying him out. Even setting the stage for bringing in the next coach into an Assistant position allowing for a transition of one year or two. By the way, I feel that changes at the assistant level should be made as a minimum after this year anyway.

As to the talk about the Univ not being in a good financial position, my 2 cents is that the Univ is fine, yes the State should have been funding it better but it is providing good education and enrollment is up. The Athletic department is not financially supported well enough to expect good consistent results across the board. This part is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        To this Red extension rumor; it would be a shame and disappointment for sure, surprise yes. I just cant see a traditional extension being offered, for example two more years. I could see one more year with some of the contract boiler plate removed leaving the door open to replace him after next season. I believe buying out his last year of the contract (next season) is not realistic when the Pres said she was against this practice. Which in principle I agree with, the coaching situations should be better managed.

I don’t see Red as being in a position of strength for negotiating much with an extension. Why couldn’t a one year extension be written to provide benefits for the program while setting the transitioning for the eventual replacement of Red. Like including performance goals for Red after next year leaving the door open to replace him without buying him out. Even setting the stage for bringing in the next coach into an Assistant position allowing for a transition of one year or two. By the way, I feel that changes at the assistant level should be made as a minimum after this year anyway.

As to the talk about the Univ not being in a good financial position, my 2 cents is that the Univ is fine, yes the State should have been funding it better but it is providing good education and enrollment is up. The Athletic department is not financially supported well enough to expect good consistent results across the board. This part is true.
        A three-year terminal extension with the HC choosing his own successor and bringing him onboard as an assistant is the UNH model, if you are looking for an example to follow, or not. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Bottom line, NO EXTENSION...he has a deal in place...why add more to this sinking ship in terms of a extension. Pressure needs to be put on him, no sugar coating it: HE HAS NOT DONE THE JOB, period. I know sports and contracts are different them you and I at work, but the so called practice of not Buying him out is BS...he's failed and will not get any better with a extension...he has had his chance...now give the PROGRAM A CHANCE to move forward...it won't happen but CAN HIM the day after the season ends and that's/that. Won't happen but, the fire is burning everything down, why ADD MORE GAS....

Comment

I'd ignore the advice about just going to the Portland game. Go to Orono its a good trip, take in a game at the alfond. It's a good college hockey rink. Portland rink is a sterile ahl rink without an ahl team.
            There's good food and beer in orono too.
            Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            This. And with attendance being what it is, move around. My favorite was up in balcony. Though back then it was very loud and you run the risk of being annoyed. But the atmosphere from that vantage point is on full if you are an atmosphere junky. Maybe start there then take in the rest of game nearer center ice opposite the team benches.

If you got to Orono there are going to be many disagreements about where to go first. I like Pats, Or Margaritas. Then I like governors for pie and coffee post game. Then hit Dysarts for breakfast on your way out of town in Holden, I think.
            These. And I live in Portland, mind you, and enjoy all the city has to offer. Of course, I grew up walking to the Alfond - even before the Walshy era.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I'd ignore the advice about just going to the Portland game. Go to Orono its a good trip, take in a game at the alfond. It's a good college hockey rink. Portland rink is a sterile ahl rink without an ahl team.
              There's good food and beer in orono too.
              Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Go to great lost bear .... or three dollar deweys. You will save yourself windshield time driving to mass.
              I'm going to strongly recommend not going to Dewey's. It closed several months back. And on Commercial Street was a shadow of its original self up on Fore Street.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                I'm going to strongly recommend not going to Dewey's. It closed several months back. And on Commercial Street was a shadow of its original self up on Fore Street.
                Hmm, the whole idea of Deweys was the lore behind how it got its name. Why change locations? Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Bottom line, NO EXTENSION...he has a deal in place...why add more to this sinking ship in terms of a extension. Pressure needs to be put on him, no sugar coating it: HE HAS NOT DONE THE JOB, period. I know sports and contracts are different them you and I at work, but the so called practice of not Buying him out is BS...he's failed and will not get any better with a extension...he has had his chance...now give the PROGRAM A CHANCE to move forward...it won't happen but CAN HIM the day after the season ends and that's/that. Won't happen but, the fire is burning everything down, why ADD MORE GAS....
                  Yes, aside from the buyout.

Red is a proven loser. And Maine won't have to offer any more than his current salary to entice a few dozen D-3 and D-1 coaches to sign-on at Maine.

Another extension makes absolutely no sense, either in terms of money or hockey.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-02-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Drove Owego, N.Y., to Portland, Maine, today.
                    Vermont and New Hampshire were snowy, but what’s with these mini-mountains in Portland’s parking lots and around the streets? he he he
                    Went to Saigon restaurant tonight for some very good seafood soup.
                    Will head to Orono in the late morning or early afternoon. Back to Portland hotel (near the airport) after the game.
                    Noon game downtown on Saturday. Was going to Merrimack in the evening until they moved the starting time up to 5 p.m., as I don’t like feeling rushed. Will likely now go to Brown at New Hampshire, even though I have already been to the arena (saw Colgate there in 2017).
                    Anyway, again, thanks for the tips. It’s been fun already.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      Vermont and New Hampshire were snowy, but what’s with these mini-mountains in Portland’s parking lots and around the streets? he he he
                      Will head to Orono in the late morning or early afternoon. Back to Portland hotel (near the airport) after the game.
                      Noon game downtown on Saturday. Was going to Merrimack in the evening until they moved the starting time up to 5 p.m., as I don’t like feeling rushed. Will likely now go to Brown at New Hampshire, even though I have already been to the arena (saw Colgate there in 2017).
                      She’s washing away. For me it is a good thing. Don’t like snow so much anymore. Glad you made it on safe travels.

Comment

Just a reminder that everything is entirely speculation. But feel free to get all worked up about it.

Candace predicts a Maine sweep this weekend; Matthew a split and both Jim and Dave predict an Omaha sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          Just a reminder that everything is entirely speculation. But feel free to get all worked up about it.

Candace predicts a Maine sweep this weekend; Matthew a split and both Jim and Dave predict an Omaha sweep.
                          My take is a split, a Maine win at Alfond and an Omaha win in Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            My take is a split, a Maine win at Alfond and an Omaha win in Portland.
                            A split sounds right the way Maine has played this season...

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                              In case you missed at your Colgate game in 2017, good chowda at the Whitt.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                both Jim and Dave predict an Omaha sweep.
                                Not surprised, is Omaha any good? Doesn't matter we all know Maine isn't Sway can be the great equalizer though, so I see a split
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X