Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Yes, nobody gave a sh-t. The fans were all 60-year old fat oil guys who came into town for game day like the murder victim from Double Indemnity.

They care even less at Cal, where football is considered "a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war."
    No, Cal cares more in that hating Stanford is like 90% of their personality.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      No, Cal cares more in that hating Stanford is like 90% of their personality.
      My brother lives in Berkeley and hangs out with Cal people.

They don't even think about Stanford. It's that big house on the hill where a decrepit old family who used to have money lives, but now it's just creepy and don't let your daughter anywhere near there or she'll get raped.

The Cardinal opinion of itself is very high, but not shared by the surrounding populace. If you want to know how Stanford is regarded 5 miles outside Palo Alto, go to Daly City or Hayward.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My brother lives in Berkeley and hangs out with Cal people.

They don't even think about Stanford. It's that big house on the hill where a decrepit old family who used to have money lives, but now it's just creepy and don't let your daughter anywhere near there or she'll get raped.

The Cardinal opinion of itself is very high, but not shared by the surrounding populace. If you want to know how Stanford is regarded 5 miles outside Palo Alto, go to Daly City or Hayward.
        That's cute, but as someone who has been here for 15 years, it's wrong. They will mention how much they hate Stanford in their campus tours, it will be brought up during their orientation, they will get more pleasure out of us losing than them winning (though given the last decade they haven't had too many chances to win); walk around either campus during a Big Game and see who's yelling at who and who general doesn't about who. It's more mentioned as a formality to Stanford students, like yeah I guess this is the team we're supposed to dislike, while it's more ingrained into Cal. Now, maybe it's stronger among football and other sports than among the general student population and town populace; interest in both schools, to be honest, falls once you get outside campus grounds; this isn't exactly Alabama and Auburn country. But, and I hate to say it, among the students it's more like Cornell and Harvard, where we primarily hate Harvard but Harvard is split between disliking a number of schools.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

That's cute, but as someone who has been here for 15 years, it's wrong. They will mention how much they hate Stanford in their campus tours, it will be brought up during their orientation, they will get more pleasure out of us losing than them winning (though given the last decade they haven't had too many chances to win); walk around either campus during a Big Game and see who's yelling at who and who general doesn't about who. It's more mentioned as a formality to Stanford students, like yeah I guess this is the team we're supposed to dislike, while it's more ingrained into Cal. Now, maybe it's stronger among football and other sports than among the general student population and town populace; interest in both schools, to be honest, falls once you get outside campus grounds; this isn't exactly Alabama and Auburn country. But, and I hate to say it, among the students it's more like Cornell and Harvard, where we primarily hate Harvard but Harvard is split between disliking a number of schools.
          Personally I can only speak for the 80s when I was there. At Stanford, the rich kids cared about coke, the frat kids cared about sports, the other students didn't care about football because there's no football in Taiwan. At Cal, the kids cared about smashing the state and getting stoned. So the kind of student who cared about sports was the kind of person at Cornell who rushes DU and tri-delt.

My experience of Cal people is they just aren't college students. They're like kids who go to Columbia or NYU. They're already in the world doing work stuff, or at least doing city kid stuff. Participating in the college hothouse life would be like putting them in assisted living. They're already alive.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Personally I can only speak for the 80s when I was there. At Stanford, the rich kids cared about coke, the frat kids cared about sports, the other students didn't care about football because there's no football in Taiwan. At Cal, the kids cared about smashing the state and getting stoned. So the kind of student who cared about sports was the kind of person at Cornell who rushes DU and tri-delt.

My experience of Cal people is they just aren't college students. They're like kids who go to Columbia or NYU. They're already in the world doing work stuff, or at least doing city kid stuff. Participating in the college hothouse life would be like putting them in assisted living. They're already alive.
            Your 80s-hyperbole aside, there's still a bit of rich kids being rich kids, jocks being jocks, and international grad students being international grad students. The tech explosion had led to it also becoming, in the words of one article, "a tech incubator with a good football team". So your impression of Cal students may have shifted across the bay a bit since. As for Cal itself, to me there's an interesting dichotomy among the part of the student body that is very much like the city that surrounds it - very liberal - and the other half who are representative of how good the school is and how hard it is now to get into. Given the tough admissions, you're going to get a lot of the kids from well-off (and possibly international) families with the money to spend on good schooling and tutors and test prep that in your mind, ironically, seems to have applied more to Stanford back in the day. Think of the Cal as either the most public private school or the most private public school; you're essentially getting the same students as all of the other elite schools, except if you live in CA you get quite the deal. As a result, that mindset of student is also likely to be very rah-rah about their sports, especially football, in the sort of preppy-jockish attitude you might assign to other schools; so you get the half that couldn't care less about violent sports and the other that wears their colors brightly on their sleeve.

KDR

Comment

This series is great

Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

CFP:

Top 4 remains unchanged, but waiting in the wings are Utah at #5, Oklahoma at #6, and Baylor at #7.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Utah doing its job to guarantee two SEC teams in the playoff.

KDR

Comment

Utah doing its job to guarantee two SEC teams in the playoff.
                    Utah winning or losing doesn't really move the needle as far as two SEC teams making the playoff. If Georgia wins, both LSU and Georgia will make it (regardless of whether Utah wins). If LSU wins, then the winner of Oklahoma/Baylor gets in (again, presuming Utah loses).

That being said, Utah losing does leave the door open (slightly) for Clemson to make it in with a loss. It would require LSU and Ohio State both winning though.

So....go Ducks?
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Going into the late afternoon/evening championship games, Playoff picture looks like:

Ohio State - Likely a lock. Win and probably #1.
                      LSU - Likely a lock. Win and potentially #1.
                      Clemson - Win and they're in. Could get in with a loss AND LSU win AND Ohio State win.
                      Georgia - Win and they're in. Lose and they're out.
                      Oklahoma - In with LSU win OR Clemson loss.
                      Wisconsin - Almost assuredly out, but case could be made with win AND LSU win AND Clemson loss.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I feel like there are far less people at today’s Cincy-Memphis game than last week’s Cincy-Memphis game. Weird situation where the teams and stakes are basically the exact same.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          I feel like there are far less people at today’s Cincy-Memphis game than last week’s Cincy-Memphis game. Weird situation where the teams and stakes are basically the exact same.
                          Guess it's different with season tickets/planning that the game today isn't on the schedule till late. Sorta like how the league QFs in college hockey (at least Hockey East) never draw well.

Comment

So if the favorites take care of business I think LSU will leapfrog Ohio State.

1. LSU
                            2. Ohio State
                            3. Clemson
                            4. Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              So if the favorites take care of business I think LSU will leapfrog Ohio State.

1. LSU
                              2. Ohio State
                              3. Clemson
                              4. Oklahoma
                              Sounds good. Another participation trophy for OU.

KDR

Comment

It's just a lottery to see who loses to Clemson first.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X