Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I'd actually be interested in a more in-depth look at this.

Here's a site with budgets for FBS and FCS conferences and schools.

The MAC's average budget is the following:

42% Institutional Support
    22% Student Fees
    11% NCAA/Media distributions
    6% Donors
    5% Guarantees (this one surprises me)
    All other below 5%

Big XII

32% NCAA/Media distributions
    28% Donors
    21% Ticket Sales
    11% Sponsorships
    All other below 6%

Now, obviously, these are just percentages, and the Big XII pulls in around 3x as much revenue, and it does take a certain "flat rate" to have athletics in the first place, so the MAC could be treading water as it is, but based on that the MAC actually has a more "stable" budget, barring school getting canceled, but if that happens there's no football anyway. You're right in that the bigger schools have way more money to take a hit with, but if the games go on with limited crowds, the Big XII loses 20% of their revenue, while the MAC loses less than 5%.

I think if anything kills these sports, it's the loss of NCAA distribution from the tournament getting canceled. They only paid out about a third of their usual amount, and that was after digging into reserves.
    For Iowa, I believe that was $2.8MM in NCAA distribution last year, so for the big boys, that won’t matter.

Northern Iowa has a total Athletic Department budget of $19 million, however...
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      For Iowa, I believe that was $2.8MM in NCAA distribution last year, so for the big boys, that won’t matter.

Northern Iowa has a total Athletic Department budget of $19 million, however...
      True, the NCAA distribution doesn’t hurt them much, but if there’s no football that media payout is going to drop.

I realize my post made it sound like WMU could be in a better position than Texas Tech if the season were to be canceled, and I don’t want it to sound like that because in no way do I think that’s true. The entire reason the MAC has a more “stable” budget is because they’re basically treading water and need to force students to fund the athletic department. They probably do need every bit and piece of that budget, even if ticket sales only account for 3% of total revenue.

But, I do think it would cause some of the P5 schools to take a second look at things. If this had happened six or seven years ago, Rutgers would have been in big trouble. They’re actually receiving a smaller payout now even after their “probationary” period in the Big Ten ended because they needed to borrow money. UConn is hemorrhaging cash at the moment. Maybe this could be the final blow to their program. I don’t think it would affect the SEC much because most of them are running with the NCAA minimum amount of sports, but what does a school like Ohio State do with 29 sports? Or Oklahoma with a niche sport like men’s gymnastics?
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Yikes!

SEC could play even if other conferences don’t because it just means more

https://flip.it/T1hjgZ
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Yikes!

Let's be honest that's what they always wanted anyways.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Yikes!

One of many books not read at SEC schools:

Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

MAC is making more cuts to the budget.

This on top of elimination or contracting conference tournaments in other sports.

Akron dropped three sports earlier this week and Bowling Green dropped baseball today.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Furman drops baseball and men’s lacrosse.

Covid athletic casualties:
                Urbana U (OH) - D2 school closed, though they were likely going to go close regardless
                Florida Tech - D2 football dropped
                Akron - men’s golf and cross country, women’s tennis dropped
                Bowling Green - baseball dropped
                Furman - baseball and men’s lacrosse dropped

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Interesting thought experiment: what if all sports ended, everywhere? Where would all that money, energy, time, and public participation go?
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2020, 09:37 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

War
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      War
                      I'm thinking the main beneficiaries would be:

1. War
                      2. Sex
                      3. Politics

Sports is certainly one way the ruling class keeps the proles' minds off their enslavement. Without that distraction things might get a little dire for the rich.

"Hey, Sunday's free, let's go burn the banker's house."
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Sports is certainly one way the ruling class keeps the proles' minds off their enslavement. Without that distraction things might get a little dire for the rich.

"Hey, Sunday's free, let's go burn the banker's house."
                        Sports, religion, and TV sitcoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Interesting thought experiment: what if all sports ended, everywhere? Where would all that money, energy, time, and public participation go?
                          Video games, especially shooters.

Comment

Central Michigan cuts men's track and field.

Track must be a lot more expensive than I think to run because it always seems to be one of the first ones on the chopping block even though on its face it looks extremely cheap. They're keeping women's track and both men's and women's cross country. All of those teams share the same coaching staff, so theoretically everyone still has a job, though I'm sure some consolidation will happen. Since you still get five scholarships with just a XC team, they're basically just cutting 7.6 scholarships with this move and whatever associated travel costs, but even those seem low. It looks like they take a few long trips each year, but other than that with the number of interdivisional meets and the number of D2 schools in Michigan, everything is within 4-5 hour drive.

Also, looks like I missed a couple earlier, Old Dominion dropped wrestling, Cincy dropped men's soccer and FIU dropped men's indoor track.
                            Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 05-19-2020, 11:30 AM.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

They'll drop any low-profile sport with little-to-no gate revenue. No one watches or cares about track below the Olympic level except for runners' families. The only reason they cut the men instead of the women is Title IX.

Other sports also have sunk costs that track does not have, like an on-campus pool for the swimming teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                They'll drop any low-profile sport with little-to-no gate revenue. No one watches or cares about track below the Olympic level except for runners' families. The only reason they cut the men instead of the women is Title IX.

Other sports also have sunk costs that track does not have, like an on-campus pool for the swimming teams.
                                You’d be surprised at the popularity of college track and its importance in developing world class athletes not just for the US.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X