This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Amber, check Groupon. Some concerts and festivals put tickets on there. You'll find them for 25-40% discount. That's my experience, at least.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Amber, check Groupon. Some concerts and festivals put tickets on there. You'll find them for 25-40% discount. That's my experience, at least.
      I will. I wasn't much into Garbage in the 1990s, but since starting transition, songs like "Queer," "I Think I'm Paranoid," "Bleed Like Me," "Cherry Lips," "#1 Crush," "Not Your Kind of People," and a few others have spoken to me.

And with the entire bill being Liz Phair, Garbage, and Alanis, this is a "back to the 90s" concert that I WANT to go. I mean, there's no Haddaway, Vanilla Ice, Blessid Union of Souls, etc. When I was at NMU, we had a Back to the 90s weekend featuring Blessid Union of Souls and Naughty By Nature. More people showed up for Naughty By Nature.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Right now I'm trying to picture Treach in Marquette.

Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          A more powerful version even.
          How powerfully does the message of this song (from 1998) resonate today?

Some very smart literary references in the lyrics too:

The future teaches you to be alone
          The present to be afraid and cold
          "So if I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

Bullets for your brain today
          But we'll forget it all again
          Monuments put from pen to paper
          Turns me into a gutless wonder

And if you tolerate this then your children will be next
          Will be next, will be next, will be next

Gravity keeps my head down
          Or is it maybe shame
          At being so young and being so vain

Holes in your head today
          But I'm a pacifist
          I've walked La Ramblas but not with real intent

Will be next, will be next, will be next, yeah will be next

And on the street tonight
          An old man plays with newspaper cuttings of his glory days

Will be next, will be next, will be next
          Girl kills O Mio Babbino Caro.
          No one? Not looking for validation I just like sharing new experiences.

Comment

No one? Not looking for validation I just like sharing new experiences.
            When I tried to look at your first youtube video it gave me a message that said the uploader had not authorized it for the country I am located in (US).
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              When I tried to look at your first youtube video it gave me a message that said the uploader had not authorized it for the country I am located in (US).
              I sometimes get the reverse of that. If you want search for, "Yola - Faraway Look". Lady has pipes.

Comment

This video is old, but I learned that today one of my managers is one of the sisters to this group. Music is not my style but this is a pretty cool story.

Comment

Yola - It Ain't Easier. Who should have been Elvis, only without the OD on a toilet ending.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    For Garbage and Alanis Morrisette? Please. That's friggin' ridiculous.
                    Mudhoney was 30 bucks for standing room in a dive club. Those two are waaaaay bigger than Mudhoney ever was, and are playing a much larger suburban venue where Ticketbastard rules the roost. *shrugs* It is what it is.

Plus, Alanis is probably going to have a bit of a career resurgence with her Broadway musical out now.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Last summer I saw Belinda Carlisle sign at the Leinenkugel bandshell at the Minnesota state fair. It's free. You sit on a park bench and watch as myriad acts flow across the stage. You might start with a local talent contest, followed up by Herman's Hermits, followed by Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band, followed by Belinda Carlisle.

Now, we got hot, cocaine Belinda instead of Go-Go's Belinda, so it was ok.
                      It can work in reverse, though. Some country artist was booked a couple years ago at the Leinie Lodge, and right before the State Fair hit, he scored a HUGE hit (from what bbdl told me) and they could have charged $30+ per ticket for a show of his. However, the contract was already set. Needless to say, the Lodge was packed. I have to admit, despite me not remembering specifics, he wasn't bad.

And IIRC, Eric Church tries to keep his prices down. I know the Grateful Dead did, when Jerry was still around. Pearl Jam tried, too.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And I was looking at Sara Bareilles at the Fox Theater this past October. But it was $100 just to get in the building, plus the trip to Detroit to see her.

Maybe when I'm a millionaire.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Mudhoney was 30 bucks for standing room in a dive club.
                          Much like the Replacements, this is the correct way to see Mudhoney.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Much like the Replacements, this is the correct way to see Mudhoney.
                            It certainly was.

Comment

Starting the morning with "Beautiful Garbage," and hit repeat on "Cup of Coffee" and "Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)."

Comment

Proof that humans can be beautiful creatures when we put our minds to it. And when the harmonies kick in? Wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X