USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

And "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" is really just a song about demanding figgy pudding with increasing hostility.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      And "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" is really just a song about demanding figgy pudding with increasing hostility.
      I always hear "figgy pudding" as the means of production.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bring me my wassail!
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A Twisted Christmas. That is all you need to know.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

How powerfully does the message of this song (from 1998) resonate today?

Some very smart literary references in the lyrics:

The future teaches you to be alone
            The present to be afraid and cold
            "So if I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

Bullets for your brain today
            But we'll forget it all again
            Monuments put from pen to paper
            Turns me into a gutless wonder

And if you tolerate this then your children will be next
            Will be next, will be next, will be next

Gravity keeps my head down
            Or is it maybe shame
            At being so young and being so vain

Holes in your head today
            But I'm a pacifist
            I've walked La Ramblas but not with real intent

Will be next, will be next, will be next, yeah will be next

And on the street tonight
            An old man plays with newspaper cuttings of his glory days

Will be next, will be next, will be next

Comment

Girl kills O Mio Babbino Caro.

Comment

Garbage and Alanis are coming to the DTE Energy Theater next year, and I'm thinking f my finances, I want to go.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Garbage and Alanis are coming to the DTE Energy Theater next year, and I'm thinking f my finances, I want to go.
                  I can't imagine that'll be an expensive show. Both good acts, but they're not exactly top billing these days.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    I can't imagine that'll be an expensive show. Both good acts, but they're not exactly top billing these days.
                    Yeah but do tickets ever go down? Once acts get into the nostalgia racket the Olds have more money.

The one exception is when the wheels come off entirely and you see a former stadium rock act at a county fair or worse.

Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Yeah but do tickets ever go down? Once acts get into the nostalgia racket the Olds have more money.

The one exception is when the wheels come off entirely and you see a former stadium rock act at a county fair or worse.
                      A now defunct annual festival, the Taste of Minnesota, had the Doobie Brothers playing to a few dozen people on a minor stage for free while one-hit-wonder Paula Cole ("Where Have all the Cowboys Gone") was playing the main stage to thousands. It was a dark time for music.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        A now defunct annual festival, the Taste of Minnesota, had the Doobie Brothers playing to a few dozen people on a minor stage for free while one-hit-wonder Paula Cole ("Where Have all the Cowboys Gone") was playing the main stage to thousands. It was a dark time for music.
                        I disagree; that's healthy.

No band should exist 20 years after it started unless it's a black blues guitarist.

The only thing sadder than a Young Republican is an old rocker. It's children's music. Count your money and make way for the next set of children.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Last summer I saw Belinda Carlisle sign at the Leinenkugel bandshell at the Minnesota state fair. It's free. You sit on a park bench and watch as myriad acts flow across the stage. You might start with a local talent contest, followed up by Herman's Hermits, followed by Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band, followed by Belinda Carlisle.

Now, we got hot, cocaine Belinda instead of Go-Go's Belinda, so it was ok.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Last summer I saw Belinda Carlisle sign at the Leinenkugel bandshell at the Minnesota state fair. It's free. You sit on a park bench and watch as myriad acts flow across the stage. You might start with a local talent contest, followed up by Herman's Hermits, followed by Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band, followed by Belinda Carlisle.

Belinda Carlisle is 61 years old. There isn't enough cocaine in the world.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I'll take Go-go's Belinda every time. Bonus if Jane joined in.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Belinda Carlisle is 61 years old. There isn't enough cocaine in the world.
                                Aren't you like 61 years old?
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X