Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Arcade Fire, Death Cab, and Counting Crows were easy to listen to when I was super depressed. Now that I've come out, started hormones, my MSW, etc, and my life is improving, I want music that matches my mood. Mama Wendy got me going on Sara Bareilles, Norah Jones, Ingrid Michaelson, etc, and that's been the music of my transition.
    And from my POV: how many times do I need to hear "Help," "Welcome To The Jungle," "Start Me Up," etc? As you said, if I'm in the mood, sure. But otherwise....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      And from my POV: how many times do I need to hear "Help," "Welcome To The Jungle," "Start Me Up," etc? As you said, if I'm in the mood, sure. But otherwise....
      You don't have downloaded music nor do you listen to anything from when you were a teenager? My musical rotation is vast, but I don't go very long without listening to most of the following. Not every day, but I listen to music most of the day in my office and it's pretty likely there are bands from way back when that come up at least once a week.

The Cure
      The Replacements
      REM
      U2
      The Beatles
      Zeppelin
      The Who
      The Clash
      Etc.
      Etc.

Maybe you also need to go deeper into musical catalogs. There's way better material from each respective band than Help, WTTJ and SMU.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        No matter what I have pretty much thumbs downed every band's top selling songs on Pandora. I've just heard them tool many times -- even bands I really love. I would much rather hear a band's 100th most popular song for the first time than their most popular for the 100th.

We could do the world a favor and erase all of these songs, for a start. And there are plenty of people on that list (Chubby Checker, Santana, the Police, Blondie, the Monkees, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye) worth listening to.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-22-2020, 04:11 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          You don't have downloaded music nor do you listen to anything from when you were a teenager? My musical rotation is vast, but I don't go very long without listening to most of the following. Not every day, but I listen to music most of the day in my office and it's pretty likely there are bands from way back when that come up at least once a week.

The Cure
          The Replacements
          REM
          U2
          The Beatles
          Zeppelin
          The Who
          The Clash
          Etc.
          Etc.

Maybe you also need to go deeper into musical catalogs. There's way better material from each respective band than Help, WTTJ and SMU.
          I do, but nowadays I have to be in the mood to hear the "hits." That's one reason I started listening to the Current a couple years ago. The corpie stations around here play the same old stuff I've heard for the last few decades. IF there is a new song, they'll hype it for a month or two, then it disappears.

FTR: of that list you have, I have most of the Cure, ALL of the Zeppelin, and not a big enough fan of anyone else on the list to get anything more than their Greatest Hits stuff.

Related: While AC/DC's Back In Black is a tremendous album, TNT (US version was Dirty Deeds) album was way better, IMO. And I think Whole Lotta Rosie was their best song. The guitar work, especially at the end, was so sick. And "Ride On" is such an underrated song.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Me in my teens: this radio station is playing my jams.

Me in my 20s: this bar is playing my jams.

Me in my 30s: the grocery store is playing my jams.

What happens when I hit 40? The oldies station is playing my jams?
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yes. I've heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the "classic rock" station.
              The old joke was: did you know Will Smith was a rapper? Or Mark Wahlberg? (Some of my co-workers were legit shocked). Now, the joke is, "There's a whole generation that only knows Billy Ray Cyrus for Old Town Road, and not Achy Breaky Heart.

Comment

50's: The Elevator is playing my jams
                60's: The Doctor's office is playing my jams
                70's: What???
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  I need to read Ghost Rider.

Neil went on a cross-continent motorcycle trip to get his mind straight after losing his wife and daughter in the span of a year and wrote about it.
                  Yeah, I heard the book is great. I have it but I have like 40 other books to get to including by The Replacements Trouble Boys that i’m Not sure when i’ll Get to Ghost Rider. Hopefully by the end of the year if I keep up my reading discipline.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Queensryche Operation:Mindcrime

Timeless. Never gets old.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Queensryche Operation:Mindcrime

Timeless. Never gets old.
                      I used to think
                      That only America's way, way was right
                      But now the holy dollar rules everybody's lives
                      Gotta make a million, doesn't matter who dies

Comment

Oof, tried to play Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta on drums for the first time in forever. Now those are real workouts. And now way in hell i’ll Be able to nail every nuance.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I used to think
                          That only America's way, way was right
                          But now the holy dollar rules everybody's lives
                          Gotta make a million, doesn't matter who dies
                          Yep. That blurb from Revolution Calling and then the stuff about AK-47's from the next album's song Empire are very prophetic.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Started to get into The Script. They had a huge hit with "Hall Of Fame," but I'm liking their other stuff!
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Also, Kesha is on tour this summer, and I plan to see her in Chicago with VIP passes. Her albums Warrior and Rainbow have helped define my transition.

Comment

Halsey is just a massive talent. Phenomenal on SNL last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X