X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: We All Have A Crush On Shirley Manson

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I went from age 14 to age 44 thinking Aja specifically and Steely Dan generally was elevator music. Technically proficient of course but inane and dismiss-able. I didn't tweak to it, or them, until way, way later than I should have, in large part because of a dogged insistence that popular equals crap.

Something I learned, albeit late in life: just cuz everybody believes something doesn't make it wrong.
    Wow. Normally I'd say all your taste is in your mouth but from what I've read about your eating preferences that can't be true

Here is a newer Fagen song, once again the band behind him is excellent, Wayne Krantz on guitar. Maybe You have heard it, maybe not

https://youtu.be/7rv6mDYfgbc

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by walrus; 05-16-2020, 08:09 AM.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Nice. Much more Bluesy than Jazzy. Still has that easy listening vibe but underneath it's so solid and interesting. Though, put some more work into lyrics there, Don.

An easy band to dismiss, like the Beach Boys. Way, way, more than first glance.
      Last edited by Kepler; 05-16-2020, 10:54 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Nice. Much more Bluesy than Jazzy. Still has that easy listening vibe but underneath it's so solid and interesting. Though, put some more work into lyrics there, Don.

Fagens Best solo CD is his first Nightfly, its great from start to finish. His 2nd one is one Becker produced, Kamikriad. The sound quality is off the charts.Like Aja, took forever from start to finish.

Painting bathroom, started out listening to Alice Cooper Killer, awesome CD and finished with Dwight Yoakam Live CD, little rockabilly, good stuff also
        Last edited by walrus; 05-16-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Fagens Best solo CD is his first Nightfly, its great from start to finish. His 2nd one is one Becker produced, Kamikriad. The sound quality is off the charts.Like Aja, took forever from start to finish.
          Picked up a used vinyl copy of that last year, as it wasn't a huge priority for me when it came out, as yes, the last Dan album and this were rather on the sleepy mellow sideSurprised me as to how many of the songs I had already heard on the radio. All but 1 or 2.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

cc to Slap Shot... I downloaded all of Soccer Mommy's stuff this morning. Clean, Collection, For Young Hearts, and Color Theory. Apparently that was more important than writing an overdue paper and starting on the next one.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Song off Nightfly that fits in todays world, I think you are old enough to remember these times?
              https://youtu.be/qBruAooXPNU

One of Beckers solo tracks off 11 tracks of whack, produced by Fagen
              https://youtu.be/E_-1BZTWdsc
              Last edited by walrus; 05-16-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Was digging through my stash and came across this compilation which I bought without really looking at it in a gift shop in Gatwick on my way to Bahrain. Some Brit friends I met there later picked up Vols. 2, 3 and 4 and they'd get tons of play at parties I held that year. Some very good memories from that year including meeting my future wife.

Separately this Primal Scream track kills!

Comment

Another gem from the past. Ry Cooder's soundtrack from Paris, Texas. The title track in particular hauntingly wonderful.

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine. Take that pearl right mookie?
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-17-2020, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Another gem from the past. Ry Cooder's soundtrack from Paris, Texas. The title track in particular hauntingly wonderful.

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine. Take that pearl right mookie?
                    While not for everyone, everyone should be impressed with the musicianship of Ry Cooder & VM Bhatt
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

The Promise Ring: https://youtu.be/tq-__7NmjtM
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I’ve been listening to a lot of Steve Martin recently. He posted a video of him playing his banjo on 3/21, simply stated “Banjo Balm” and I recently remembered that post. I haven’t been able to get enough since. Him and Edie Brickell.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

"Sitting in the morning sun
                          I'll be sitting until the evening comes
                          Watching the ships roll in
                          Then I'll watch em roll away again..."

Thanks Otis. This is exactly what I want to do today.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            "Sitting in the morning sun
                            I'll be sitting until the evening comes
                            Watching the ships roll in
                            Then I'll watch em roll away again..."

Thanks Otis. This is exactly what I want to do today.
                            Legendary song, personal fave of mine. This particular lyric hits home at times:

I can't do what ten people tell me to do
                            So I guess I'll remain the same
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I Want You (She's So Heavy). With any listen it's incredible, with proper headphones divine.
                              And while Lucy In... wasn't written with LSD in mind, Tomorrow Never Knows sure was.
                              Killer teen female plays an excellent tribute to Ringo. Forgot to mention the last 5 mins or so of this video is this gal with other teen gals playing assorted covers. Pretty cool.
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-22-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                And while Lucy In... wasn't written with LSD in mind, Tomorrow Never Knows sure was.
                                Truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X