No announcement yet.

USCHO Memories: Back In The Day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Memories: Back In The Day....

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    I miss Puck Swami.
    Me too. I never figured out what was posted that got him so riled up that he left.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Wayne T. Smith. He was a computer admin at UM and an usher at Alfond Arena.

IIRC, hockey-l turned 30 this fall.
      I did not join Hockey-L until a couple of years after it started. I remember thinking at the time that it turned 30 that it seemed like a long time between when I joined it and when I came here, but it wasn't.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Me too. I never figured out what was posted that got him so riled up that he left.
        I think he left because someone didn't like his DU game recaps and found him in real life to let him know about it.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I remember Puck Swami had issues when registering for Extra, and ended up changing his screen name to puck_swami. That lasted only a brief time until board/admin was able to help him out. I ended up reading one of his first/few posts with the new name, and thought it was somebody else trying to hijack his credibility. I actually went off on him for it, too, until he explained the situation.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            The Pinheads were a lot of fun when UNH was making deep NCAA runs and still not winning a title. Every team in Hockey East was magically the dirtiest team ever. Good times. I still miss hearing about Darth Platt and the Skating Mother Theresa's.
            CAH is still with us. Which is both good and bad because I owe him many a beer.
            My favorite was probably the threads of the women's DI board where UNHCat07 kept talking about PU getting their desevrings and Coach Nutty being... nutty.
            I am just quoting this because I miss seeing your posts Jon! I figured you were long gone. (barely venture out of Cafe these days)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Puck Swami was a DU poster who really added a lot to the board, but quit after I believe a player/player's family member took offense to something that PS posted here. PS always gave candid assessments of a team's play as he saw it, even though he was a diehard DU fan. As a poster he is missed, I'm sure.
              He was getting a bit weird though. He had this crazy conspiracy theory that when the BTHC became official the Big Ten schools would just schedule each other and DU would go under because of it. Before that though he was about as good as it gets.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by sagard View Post
                Weirdest thing about 2003 around here was it seemed Easterners were for the Gophers, Westerners for UHN.
                Yeah until the Gophers won then they all started whining. I remember the guy who went frame by frame to explain how Vanek interfered with the goalie on his ridiculous GWG.

And even though Donald was nuts...Drop the Puck was fun when he mocked "Robot Hockey" and went on his rants about either the Gophers or his own squad UAA.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  I think he left because someone didn't like his DU game recaps and found him in real life to let him know about it.
                  Apparently, he was a former DU or professional player. Whoever took part in the Denver FF Poster's game met him, and said that you'd know who he was if they gave out his name. I never bothered researching it from there, his identity is none of my business.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Who was the PU coach who HAD TO BE FIRED TODAY!!!11!, for about 7 seasons? This was about the time of the legendary }PROVICED post.

I think "Umile has lost it" / "the game has passed him by" was part of that whole thing.
                    Fire Pooley morphed into Fire Army very quickly...
                    The thread I really want to find is the one about Ferris State and the Dumby Barn.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Fire Pooley morphed into Fire Army very quickly...
                      I looked up career stats, and Pooley was 2 games off from being a 0.500 coach. Army was much, much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I did not join Hockey-L until a couple of years after it started. I remember thinking at the time that it turned 30 that it seemed like a long time between when I joined it and when I came here, but it wasn't.
                        I was looking through the archives for old box scores and I saw a post by you and thought, "Hey, that name looks familiar!"

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          I looked up career stats, and Pooley was 2 games off from being a 0.500 coach. Army was much, much worse.
                          Pooley had a crazy post season run in 1995 and good seasons in 1996, 1999, 2001 and 2003 and he’s been great at Notre Dame as an associate coach. It's possible we were unfair to him.
                          Army’s first season was okay. Everything after that was disappointing.
                          Last edited by Jon; 11-26-2019, 01:57 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            I was looking through the archives for old box scores and I saw a post by you and thought, "Hey, that name looks familiar!"
                            I was thrilled when I found Hockey-L because it was still very difficult to find anything about college hockey here in DC at that time. Just about everyone used their real name there, and I carried that over here. I have wanted for a long time to change it but have been too lazy to attempt to do so. Thankfully, because of the late computer game pioneer whom I shared a name with, it takes some effort to find anything about me on the Internet.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              I miss Puck Swami.
                              One of the few DU posters I can't recall getting into it with during the NCHC exodus. Him and ASaaG.

Also, kick PROVICED out of Hockey Rast!

EDIT: And Fire Timmay! (even when Maine was still making the playoffs regularly)
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Pooley had a crazy post season run in 1995 and good seasons in 1996, 1999, 2001 and 2003 and he’s been great at Norte Dame as an associate coach.
                                Army’s first season was okay. Everything after that was disappointing.
                                Dump and Watch, right?
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X