X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS: He's A Witch!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Tucker please go play in traffic.
    Quelle surprise; that guy would've rooted for Hitler.

Comment

I would not expect an explicit single party coup like the Nazis in 1933. I would expect all the institutions will remain formally in place and roughly look the same, but the real power will have moved to a different focus, like Augustus in 30 BC.

One should however keep this in mind:

Both within Germany and abroad initially there were few fears that Hitler could use his position to establish his later dictatorial single-party regime. Rather, the conservatives that helped to make him chancellor were convinced that they could control Hitler and "tame" the Nazi Party while setting the relevant impulses in the government themselves; foreign ambassadors played down worries by emphasizing that Hitler was "mediocre" if not a bad copy of Mussolini; even SPD politician Kurt Schumacher trivialized Hitler as a "Dekorationsstück" ("piece of scenery/decoration") of the new government. German newspapers wrote that, without doubt, the Hitler-led government would try to fight its political enemies (the left-wing parties), but that it would be impossible to establish a dictatorship in Germany because there was "a barrier, over which violence cannot proceed" and because of the German nation being proud of "the freedom of speech and thought". Theodor Wolff of Frankfurter Zeitung wrote:

It is a hopeless misjudgement to think that one could force a dictatorial regime upon the German nation. [...] The diversity of the German people calls for democracy.

— Theodor Wolff in Frankfurter Zeitung, Jan 1933
      We're already seeing subversion of our political democracy by billionaires and large corporations. Unless we restore an active regulatory state with real teeth that is the direction that an existential threat to democracy will come from. With Rome it was the army. With us it's the rich.

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

— Louis D. Brandeis
      Last edited by Kepler; 11-26-2019, 11:06 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Not to pick on Scooby, but his profile out here (I have no idea what he's like in real life as I've never met the man) is typical of a subset of people who like to be victims. Why that is I couldn't tell you, but they're always trying to find a way to lose, or to show the deck is stacked against them, blah blah blah. People with this mindset also tend to easily buy into conspiracy theories. I grew up in a place like this, and from that observation I can tell you its not the way to go as that area has been running in place or declining for the last 60 years if not more.

Personally, I'm just having trouble with the notion that Donald Trump is some sort of all powerful super villain that can't be defeated, as opposed to a top notch con artist who's luck appears to be running out which is what happens to most con artists (Madoff, Ponzi, etc).
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Here's the thing, it isnt straight up vote tampering that influenced the election. It was the psychological subtleties by planting false stories, creating just enough doubt.

This isn't the brute force CIA "topple a Central American dictator to instill our will" elections. This was "plant just enough doubt *everywhere*" to create confusion. And now Putin is playing with house money because someone who "has never met Putin, but somehow tied to so much Russian businesses that also works with Putin" that no one cares.

Like if the Hunter Biden story was such an issue, why wasn't it investigated from 2016 to 2018? Why is there zero details about Uranium One anymore? There is so much scattershot from this administration that Dick Cheney is refusing to go hunting with Trump...
          We know that Russia targeted voting systems in all 50 states. A bi-partisan report from the Senate Intelligence Committee even told us that “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in Illinois. We know that Republicans are doing everything they can to PREVENT any upgrades to the current system. Again, not quite a coup, but the R's sure seem to be ok with a takeover of the government by means other than open honest elections.

Comment

Until the Russians help the dems, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Here's the thing, it isnt straight up vote tampering that influenced the election. It was the psychological subtleties by planting false stories, creating just enough doubt.

This isn't the brute force CIA "topple a Central American dictator to instill our will" elections. This was "plant just enough doubt *everywhere*" to create confusion. And now Putin is playing with house money because someone who "has never met Putin, but somehow tied to so much Russian businesses that also works with Putin" that no one cares.

Like if the Hunter Biden story was such an issue, why wasn't it investigated from 2016 to 2018? Why is there zero details about Uranium One anymore? There is so much scattershot from this administration that Dick Cheney is refusing to go hunting with Trump...
              It's funny you mention the CIA because they also have decades of experience with the kind of psychological manipulation the Russians did so perfectly to us in 2016. It all comes out of marketing. The majority of people are very easily played.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                So Nazi rule here is inevitable?
                There are plenty of regimes out there to choose from. The Nazis are just the most famous. The whole "start a world war of conquest" thing seems outdated though.

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                And some are now fighting that. A full blown coup will not happen here. I'd stake my life on that.
                It doesn't have to happen. Putin was democratically elected. Marcos was loved. So was Mugabe.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  It is crazy. This country isn't falling into a coup. And if one was attempted...it isn't happening without a fight.
                  So as usual...it's Chicken Little.
                  I hope you’re right, obviously, but think there is a lot higher chance of something crazy happening than most of us realize. It could be something good like Trump walking away so not all bad.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    There are plenty of regimes out there to choose from. The Nazis are just the most famous. The whole "start a world war of conquest" thing seems outdated though.
                    It's done with monetary policy now, and not by countries but by classes. The wealthy conquered the world with the IMF and the World Bank in 1945. The world was overrun. We've been living in it all our lives.

Nobody knows they're living in a Dark Age until it's much too late.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Not to pick on Scooby, but his profile out here (I have no idea what he's like in real life as I've never met the man) is typical of a subset of people who like to be victims. Why that is I couldn't tell you, but they're always trying to find a way to lose, or to show the deck is stacked against them, blah blah blah. People with this mindset also tend to easily buy into conspiracy theories. I grew up in a place like this, and from that observation I can tell you its not the way to go as that area has been running in place or declining for the last 60 years if not more.

Personally, I'm just having trouble with the notion that Donald Trump is some sort of all powerful super villain that can't be defeated, as opposed to a top notch con artist who's luck appears to be running out which is what happens to most con artists (Madoff, Ponzi, etc).
                      It's not that he can't be defeated. If he was competent, or had people around him who were, then yes. I don't see him leaving without a fight though, and that will be bloody. You've already seen violent morons who are willing to commit mass shootings to provoke a "second Civil War" or send pipe bombs to liberal leaders. Is it really a stretch to think those people will only be emboldened by the idiot in the White House?

Comment

It's not that he can't be defeated. If he was competent, or had people around him who were, then yes. I don't see him leaving without a fight though, and that will be bloody. You've already seen violent morons who are willing to commit mass shootings to provoke a "second Civil War" or send pipe bombs to liberal leaders. Is it really a stretch to think those people will only be emboldened by the idiot in the White House?
                        There's a difference between terrorism and full blown civil disorder. The former is a sporadic criminal act, the latter is a widespread interruption of society.

I fully expect the far right to respond to their demographic decline with terrorism. It fits their MO perfectly: violent, Manichean, paranoid, authoritarian. What we need is a government with the will to crush them when they resort to it. The right are cowards to the bone. They love to mouth off about their machismo and sacred honor but it's tweeny boys playing soldier. These people are p-ssies at every level -- it's why they are so incompetent in life, in love, in everything. They are the losers we have had to carry for hundreds of years. When they start blowing up schools, end them.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          We know that Russia targeted voting systems in all 50 states. A bi-partisan report from the Senate Intelligence Committee even told us that “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in Illinois. We know that Republicans are doing everything they can to PREVENT any upgrades to the current system. Again, not quite a coup, but the R's sure seem to be ok with a takeover of the government by means other than open honest elections.
                          The joke will be on them when some hacker makes Kylie Jenner the next president.

Comment

The joke will be on them when some hacker makes Kylie Jenner the next president.
                            At least then we would have a real billionaire.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

How the Russians hacked the 2016 election

Comment

If the godawful Chump era has a silver lining, perhaps its that more Americans start taking elections seriously, from President on down to dog catcher. The Nazi's are fully engaged, yet despite that they got smoked in the 2018 and 2019 elections. It would be nice if all voter participation remains high in the upcoming years, and not just amongst bitter old people who still wish it was 1950.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X