A Weekly Canadian Hockey Tradition For Over Three Decades is No Longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weekly Canadian Hockey Tradition For Over Three Decades is No Longer

This is not women's hockey but it is hockey from where many of us here who love women's hockey have come and I have no doubt that it is also a place from which many women hockey players whom we have enjoyed watching play the game over the years have also come.

Some will be familiar with the story that began a week ago tonight...others may not be. For those who may not be, this article should be self explanatory.

The talk of the country for the last week.

I initially just wanted to post the video of Ron McLean's solo comments from tonight's edition of Coach's Corner on Hockey Night in Canada but it wouldn't allow me to do so. I had to copy the entire article in which the video is embedded. In the end maybe that was the better idea.

I wanted to post it because of some of the comments that he makes about hockey and what the game means to relationships, to people, what it means to this country and certainly, as well, to those in other countries. Something to give some thought to as he speaks. This is a borderless topic with the central controversy centering (no pun intended) around a homegrown hockey icon/legend who at times seemed like he was bigger than life.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...v-16-1.5362580
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-17-2019, 01:30 AM.

Re: A Weekly Canadian Hockey Tradition For Over Three Decades is No Longer

video didn't play for me using Safari, this one does.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6179238/...ight-in-canada

Comment

From my perspective Don Cherry is proud to be Canadian and rightly so and knows who he's grateful to for their sacrifice and service for Canada and he believes some in Canada don't show the proper gratitude.
      When you punish someone for speaking the truth perhaps those above him don't know what it means to be Canadian anymore too, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        From my perspective Don Cherry is proud to be Canadian and rightly so and knows who he's grateful to for their sacrifice and service for Canada and he believes some in Canada don't show the proper gratitude.
        When you punish someone for speaking the truth perhaps those above him don't know what it means to be Canadian anymore too, eh?
        Hmmm... Someone who speaks the truth... Maybe not the best delivery, but you know where they stand. Some people back him. Some people hate him. Sounds really familiar to a situation here in the U.S. The world really is becoming soft. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
          Hmmm... Someone who speaks the truth... Maybe not the best delivery, but you know where they stand. Some people back him. Some people hate him. Sounds really familiar to a situation here in the U.S. The world really is becoming soft. IMHO
          For those who are so easily offended out there it's like Jack Nicholson said in A Few Good Men, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"
          IMHO

Comment

For those who are so easily offended out there it's like Jack Nicholson said in A Few Good Men, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"
            Spoken right before he was taken into custody.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

many thousands of Canadian and US soldiers died to protect us from outsiders who would take away our right to free speech, today those people are from within

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
              Note that our constitution says nothing about our right to possess arms for hunting, sport, or collecting, only to protect ourselves from an oppressive government
              Last edited by pokechecker; 11-22-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Although there's nothing here I disagree with I'd suggest we try and keep the hockey aspect in this somewhat or the powers that be may kill the thread as being political and controversial - JUST LIKE HOCKEY LEGEND DON CHERRY! (see what I did there to make it about hockey?)

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  many thousands of Canadian and US soldiers died to protect us from outsiders who would take away our right to free speech, today those people are from within

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
                  Note that our constitution says nothing about our right to possess arms for hunting, sport, or collecting, only to protect ourselves from an oppressive government
                  Only in this case, no level of government has weighed in here. This is not a free speech issue; Don Cherry was fired by the rights holder to Hockey Night in Canada. It would be more correct to yell 'thousands of Canadian and American lawyers have sacrificed their tee times in order to protect us from public relations disasters' from the barricades.

Comment

Although there's nothing here I disagree with I'd suggest we try and keep the hockey aspect in this somewhat or the powers that be may kill the thread as being political and controversial - JUST LIKE HOCKEY LEGEND DON CHERRY! (see what I did there to make it about hockey?)
                    I’m not sure what this thread has to do with US college hockey, let alone women’s college hockey, so what would the loss be?

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    Only in this case, no level of government has weighed in here. This is not a free speech issue; Don Cherry was fired by the rights holder to Hockey Night in Canada. It would be more correct to yell 'thousands of Canadian and American lawyers have sacrificed their tee times in order to protect us from public relations disasters' from the barricades.
                    Many people in Canada have been saying Cheery should be prosecuted for what he said, hate speech is a crime in Canada, and the Lefties are trying to make it a crime here too.
                    (actually anything they disagree with)

the real crime here is that Cherry ever became the influencer he is/was. his record as a player speaks for itself, he never played in the NHL
                    as a coach, ... let the record speak for itself as well, he failed to win a Stanley Cup with one of the most talented teams in hockey
                    fittingly, he lost twice to the Montreal Canadiens, his style of hockey, ruff and rumble, a true come to a fight and a hockey game may break out, though it received/receives much attention, in the end was not successful, the Canadiens (as opposed to the Canadian) style of speed and skill won out
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 11-25-2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X