Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey 2019-20 Season

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    9-1 final. Breck was just way too much for Rochester. Cloquet-Esko-Carlton is going to have to Bemidji Breck to have any chance tomorrow.
    I think you will see a similar result in the Class A final. Really looking forward to the AA final, especially if it's Andover vs. Edina.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      While that suggestion has merit, I think that the format of the state tournament should be altered as well. What sense does it make to have two or three really strong sections followed by state quarterfinals where 75% of the quarterfinals aren't competitive. If you want a team like Breck to move up and sacrifice a great chance at a state title every year, then they shouldn't have to risk being thrown into a section with four other top-eight teams and never getting to experience a state tourney. If they look at Blake's move, why should Breck make the same move in the current system?
      I know your playing devil's advocate a bit here as even you can see that Breck has no business being in 1A. I do agree though that Section 6 AA is a problem.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I think you will see a similar result in the Class A final. Really looking forward to the AA final, especially if it's Andover vs. Edina.
        Minnetonka has a chip and a chair's chance...Lots of talent on that team as well.

Comment

... the format of the state tournament should be altered as well. What sense does it make ...
          I would suggest that it makes sense if you are a State high school league with a goal of having statewide representation in the state tournament.

The boys had a 50 year head start with The Tourney - the girls side deserves more time to develop the depth of talent that results in 75% competitive quarterfinals before concluding it makes no sense. And, every once in awhile we will get a gem like 2019 ... maybe in 2020 it will be the CEC Lumberjacks that surprise in A!

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
          How could anyone not want Brainerd to win this game if they watched it at all.
          Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Only if you live in Edina or used to play for Edina. Otherwise, Brainerd all the way!
          Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Judging by all the blue in the stands Brainerd might be a ghost town tonight.

... a tremendously entertaining game...a great example of heart for all other players watching this...they've left nothing in the dressing room.

Comment

I know your playing devil's advocate a bit here as even you can see that Breck has no business being in 1A. I do agree though that Section 6 AA is a problem.
            "even you" ... nice.

From a competitive standpoint, you're 100% correct. I just don't see the incentive for Breck to move from a tournament that is unfair to their advantage to one that is likely to be unfair to their detriment. Otherwise, you're just relying on the Mustangs getting bored with the current arrangement.

This isn't quite the same as St. Thomas Academy that for years took advantage of a system that failed to take into account that 100% of the cadets were male. By size, Breck is where they belong, but it is just better than everyone else of that size. Of course, none of this takes into account the advantage that the privates have, or that a program like Hopkins basketball is a recruiting mecca.

I would favor going to something like the boys tourney had "back in the day", where the losers of the finals of Sections 7 and 8 played to represent the vacant section (2 or 3?) In this case, reduce it down to seven sections (why have a six-team section where two wins gets you to state), and let the losers of the two sections with the highest power rankings of its top four seeds do a play-in game on Monday night for the eighth tournament berth.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

"even you" ... nice.

From a competitive standpoint, you're 100% correct. I just don't see the incentive for Breck to move from a tournament that is unfair to their advantage to one that is likely to be unfair to their detriment. Otherwise, you're just relying on the Mustangs getting bored with the current arrangement.

This isn't quite the same as St. Thomas Academy that for years took advantage of a system that failed to take into account that 100% of the cadets were male. By size, Breck is where they belong, but it is just better than everyone else of that size. Of course, none of this takes into account the advantage that the privates have, or that a program like Hopkins basketball is a recruiting mecca.

I would favor going to something like the boys tourney had "back in the day", where the losers of the finals of Sections 7 and 8 played to represent the vacant section (2 or 3?) In this case, reduce it down to seven sections (why have a six-team section where two wins gets you to state), and let the losers of the two sections with the highest power rankings of its top four seeds do a play-in game on Monday night for the eighth tournament berth.
              I wrote that and posted it and then looked back at it....yikes.

I should have left out "even"

I also should probably be thankful you didn't offer an invitation to "meet me" at the rink.
              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I also should probably be thankful you didn't offer an invitation to "meet me" at the rink.
                I'm not a riot, quiet or otherwise. You could whoop me easily. So if I was going to meet you at the rink, like as not I'd end up having to buy you a beverage as a peace offering.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'll be in "Hockey Heaven" until very late tonight.
                  1. Going to the Gopher-Mavs women's game
                  2. Recording and then watching the Gopher-Nittany Lions men's game when I get home
                  3. Recording and then watching the Class 2A semifinal games when I'm finished watching....zzzzzzzz (maybe tomorrow)
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

"even you" ... nice.

Create a AA Private school Section the winner of which goes to the State tournament. All the privates have the recruiting advantage which is truly unfair - especially to the Class A public schools.

Comment

Minnetonka played very well and it looked like they would come out of the period with a 1-0 lead but a great face-off win and shot by Hemp produced a rebound goal for Nelson. Tied at 1.

Comment

Minnetonka taking advantage of their opportunities and their goaltender is playing better than Andover's. 2-1 advantage for Minnetonka at the end of the 2nd period.

Comment

Such a good game...Very close offsides call goes Minnetonka's way for a rebound goal late to take a 3-2 lead. Peyton Hemp ties with under a minute left and we've got bonus hockey!

Comment

OMG. It takes 18 seconds and Gabby Krause wins it for Andover! Hope Edina and Maple Grove can match this one...

Comment

Edina is leading 1-0 after the 1st period. Maple Grove is fortunate that it is only 1-0.

Comment

Edina finishes off an over-matched but game Maple Grove team 3-0.

You asked for it D2D...Edina vs Andover for the championship.
                                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-21-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X