Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey 2019-20 Season

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I would favor going to something like the boys tourney had "back in the day", where the losers of the finals of Sections 7 and 8 played to represent the vacant section (2 or 3?) In this case, reduce it down to seven sections (why have a six-team section where two wins gets you to state), and let the losers of the two sections with the highest power rankings of its top four seeds do a play-in game on Monday night for the eighth tournament berth.
    At last. I reap an advantage of age. And for probably the first time ever I get to add something because I know something that apparently ARM does not.

Back in the day there was no hockey in either Section 1 (Southeast, yes there was a time when Rochester did not have any hockey) or Section 2 (Southwest).

The Section 7 and 8 runners up played for the Section 1 entry to the state tournament and the runners up of Sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 had a four team two game playoff for the Section 2 entry. These two entrants were referred to as having come in the back door.

Rochester started up hockey and rather quickly John Marshall became pretty good. The name Scott Lecy rings a bell for me. Soon enough that section had enough quality that the schools there were allowed to play for their section championship and the two back doors were reduced to one. Rochester John Marshall won the south's only state championship in 1977 defeating Edina East (remember that? two Edina high schools?) 4-2 in the final.

With only one back door it was only the failed finalists from 7 and 8 getting that second chance.

Also, IIRC back when the Range was dominant Duluth wasn't particularly good yet and I am prepared to be wrong here if someone else knows for sure, but I think Duluth was in 6, the Range schools were in 7. I remember some controversy when Duluth had improved enough that Denfeld and East were legitimate powers (and Duluth Cathedral was regularly winning the Catholic school state tournament) and then a realignment moved Duluth into 7 with the Iron Range Conference schools. The complaint was too many really good teams playing down for only one spot in the tournament. Something like 6AA girls right now.
    Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 02-21-2020, 11:12 PM.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Reminiscing for those who may have watched him with the great Bloomington Jefferson teams, and in college with the Gophers, Vivian Jungels reminds me of Mike Crowley
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Reminiscing for those who may have watched him with the great Bloomington Jefferson teams, and in college with the Gophers, Vivian Jungels reminds me of Mike Crowley
        What stood out most for me about Crowley was he had great lateral movement at the offensive blue line, to either hold the zone or get his shot through. It seems that V. Jungels has improved defensively from last year to this, and by the end of her HS career, I think that it will serve her well to have played in the sound defensive scheme that Reber coaches, rather than the more helter skelter styles that some uber-talented teams employ.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
          ...for probably the first time ever I get to add something because I know something that apparently ARM does not.
          As I can't compete with ARM on hockey knowledge, I am playing the long game and hoping he forgets stuff.

Comment

Watching the Rochester Lourdes vs Warroad game this morning, I find it curious as to why Boston University offered to Rochester Lourdes Maggie Hanzel. Does not have D1 skating ablity.

Btw, if there are any Cornell lurkers interested in seeing Rory Guilday for Minnetonka... Minnetonka's game against Maple Grove will be streamed on PrepSpotlight.tv today at 11.00AM central, Noon EST.
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-22-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Was up VERY late last night, watching the games on the DVR. The Andover/Tonka game was superb, glad to see Gopher recruit Hemp get a couple. And even though Tonka's Nicholson didn't get on the scoreboard I thought she was very solid throughout. Smart player, and her size will be a big asset at the next level.

I thought Edina would be more dominant against a scrappy Maple Grove team. As is so typical with the Hornets they don't have any "super-duper" individual all stars, but the depth throughout their entire lineup is tremendous. Tonight's battle between the State's two top teams should be amazing.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Watching the Rochester Lourdes vs Warroad game this morning, I find it curious as to why Boston University offered to Rochester Lourdes Maggie Hanzel. Does not have D1 skating ablity.

Btw, if there are any Cornell lurkers interested in seeing Rory Guilday for Minnetonka... Minnetonka's game against Maple Grove will be streamed on PrepSpotlight.tv today at 11.00AM central, Noon EST.
                Ohh, I still lurk.

Comment

The Lindsay sister came to play! Breck up 3-0 after 1 period

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                    Ohh, I still lurk.
                    Hope you got a chance to see Guilday as she has been terrific.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey 2019-20 Season

No surprise, Breck wins the Class A championship 6-0. Just too much talent for Cloquet-Esko-Carlton to overcome.
                      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-22-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

End of the first period. 2-2 tie between Edina and Andover. Great game so far!

Comment

It's a shame that Andover's goaltender is not playing well.. Edina goes ahead 3-2 on the PP but as I type this Andover responds to tie it early in the second period.

Comment

End of the 2nd period Edina and Andover are still tied 3-3.

Comment

What a performance by Andover...They win 5-3 and really took time and space away from Edina. Krause scored the hugh go ahead goal off a great feed from Jamie Nelson. They add a ENG to finish it off.

Andover gave up 3 PP goals in the first half of the game but really changed to more of an aggressive penalty kill after that and that worked for them. Andover was the better team 5 on 5.
                              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-22-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

What a performance by Andover...They win 5-3 and really took time and space away from Edina. Krause scored the hugh go ahead goal off a great feed from Jamie Nelson. They add a ENG to finish it off.

Andover gave up 3 PP goals in the first half of the game but really changed to more of an aggressive penalty kill after that and that worked for them. Andover was the better team 5 on 5.
                                What a fantastic finish to the Minnesota girls hockey high school season. Championship games don't get any better than this one.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X