Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Elections

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You should have seen Morning Joe this morning. Joe was yelling in the camera at Trump telling him that Bevin was UP by 5 points until his rally. I was dying laughing.
    If Trump didnt have donors on the ready giving these guys millions they would cut him off at the knees. Everywhere he goes and holds one of his rallies the numbers for himself or who he supports drop. All he does is get the 36% excited. The rest give him the side eye and walk away.

As for Kentucky...I mean I give them credit for the effort but there is no way that happens.
    Last edited by Handyman; 11-06-2019, 10:01 AM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Kentuckians had a special hate for Bevin, as evidenced by every other statewide official running for office winning fairly comfortably yesterday, meaning there were a lot of ticket-splitters who were still on board with Republicans, just not pieces of s*** like Matt Bevin. That said, with a uniquely awful candidate like Bevin losing by only 5,000 votes to a state family scion like Andy Beshear (his dad was governor who expanded the ACA/Medicaid in the state), I'm fairly confident that Trump is right that McConnell will win comfortably yet again next year, especially with Trump at the top of the ticket. I'll predict a 10% win, despite McGrath's penchant for raising large sums of money and having a good background.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Everywhere he goes and holds one of his rallies the numbers for himself or who he supports drop. All he does is get the 36% excited. The rest give him the side eye and walk away.
        An important point. Often times when a President's party gets smoked in mid-term or off year elections its because of low enthusiasm on their side. That's not the case for Chump. His people as befitting of any cult are 100% engaged and voting every election. And yet, Republicans are STILL getting their a sses kicked. Even in place like Virginia where by and large they are running in districts that they specifically drew to maximum benefit (a handful of VA state house districts got redrawn due to racial gerrymanders, but the majority was fought under a GOP map).

Regarding Kentucky, I reject the glass half empty idiocy of Dems losing downballot races. I suspect Dems didn't invest a lot in those races and regardless nobody thinks Bashaer's win is turning KY into a swing state. However, its nice to have someone who's won statewide in case McConnell ever gives up the ghost and retires to his Dacha on the Baltic Sea or Rand Paul's neighbor finishes the job once and for all.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          However, its nice to have someone who's won statewide in case McConnell ever gives up the ghost and retires to his Dacha on the Baltic Sea or Rand Paul's neighbor finishes the job once and for all.
          Legit LOL. Nice.

Wins beget wins in red states. There won't ever be a lot of them because then it wouldn't be a red state, but it is never a bad thing to have these isolated victories. If nothing else it puts the wind up the national GOP and makes them divert resources.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I still don't understand how taxpayers have had to fund a never ending campaign trail for Trump since basically the day he took office. At what point must his campaign start paying for this s**t? Will we ever know the difference?

Comment

An important point. Often times when a President's party gets smoked in mid-term or off year elections its because of low enthusiasm on their side. That's not the case for Chump. His people as befitting of any cult are 100% engaged and voting every election. And yet, Republicans are STILL getting their a sses kicked. Even in place like Virginia where by and large they are running in districts that they specifically drew to maximum benefit (a handful of VA state house districts got redrawn due to racial gerrymanders, but the majority was fought under a GOP map).

Regarding Kentucky, I reject the glass half empty idiocy of Dems losing downballot races. I suspect Dems didn't invest a lot in those races and regardless nobody thinks Bashaer's win is turning KY into a swing state. However, its nice to have someone who's won statewide in case McConnell ever gives up the ghost and retires to his Dacha on the Baltic Sea or Rand Paul's neighbor finishes the job once and for all.
              Kentucky actually has a long history of electing Democrats statewide and held the General Assembly until 2016. Beshear is currently Kentucky's Attorney's General. Lundergan-Grimes is Secretary of State. It certainly looks like Kentucky is getting redder as evidenced by their sweep last night outside of the governor's race, but to act like those statewide offices were foregone conclusions for Republicans because Kentucky consistently votes Republican on a federal level doesn't fit Kentucky's history.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
                Kentucky actually has a long history of electing Democrats statewide and held the General Assembly until 2016. Beshear is currently Kentucky's Attorney's General. Lundergan-Grimes is Secretary of State. It certainly looks like Kentucky is getting redder as evidenced by their sweep last night outside of the governor's race, but to act like those statewide offices were foregone conclusions for Republicans because Kentucky consistently votes Republican on a federal level doesn't fit Kentucky's history.
                The union I used to work for had a substantial number of members from Kentucky, mostly the eastern portion of the state. Most of those democrats being elected in the last couple of generations were democrats in name only because of the last vestiges of the democrats being a "southern" party. They may have been a tick better than the republican they were facing on any particular ballot, but all democrats are not created equally.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
                  Kentucky's history is largely irrelevant. People don't split tickets anymore like they used to even 10 years ago. Kentucky has been red for a looong time. I would expect it to mirror West Virginia, a state now largely re-aligned with the occasional exception (Beshear, Manchin) able to break through.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Kentucky's history is largely irrelevant. People don't split tickets anymore like they used to even 10 years ago. Kentucky has been red for a looong time. I would expect it to mirror West Virginia, a state now largely re-aligned with the occasional exception (Beshear, Manchin) able to break through.
                    This.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: 2019 Elections

The only reason WV isn't pure R is the state GOP keeps running actual criminals. They are only a matter of time until they are straight red. Ideologically it's right down there with the most vicious backwaters in the country (SC, MS).
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

They just split them last night in a fairly significant fashion...you're right that Kentucky on a federal level is similar to a West Virginia, but when it comes to statewide elections, that hasn't proven to be the case yet. Time will tell whether your hypothesis that you're currently passing off as fact is correct.

WeareNDHockey, yes, plenty of DINO voters living in eastern Kentucky. They're definitely not the Democrats of New York or California, and most have voted Republican at the federal level for decades now. When it comes to state offices though, they're still willing to send Democrats to Frankfort.

Comment

More good news: suburbs continue to go blue. That was the major takeaway in TX in 2018 and it also drove the VA blue tsunami. Happening also in PA which traditionally has a fairly conservative white fight suburban population. You can mix and match with every city in the US, and in particular in the 2020 purples. Who knows, maybe even in FL burbs?
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            More good news: suburbs continue to go blue. That was the major takeaway in TX in 2018 and it also drove the VA blue tsunami. Happening also in PA which traditionally has a fairly conservative white fight suburban population. You can mix and match with every city in the US, and in particular in the 2020 purples. Who knows, maybe even in FL burbs?
                            Florida bucks all trends because that place is the 7th circle of hell
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Florida bucks all trends because that place is the 7th circle of hell
                              It really is the p-ss drain of the Eastern US. Every old, decrepit Republican from the Midwest and every Northeastern Archie Bunker retires there. You'd think it would be more liberal from all the Jews but it's as if only the racist Jews from Five Towns go there.
                              Cornell University

Comment

If you look at the Jewish areas they tend to be liberal...unless you go farther North and they have lots of cash so they could go either way. My relatives there though are definitely not Racist Red. (and quite wealthy)

I dunno Florida is just its own little world...I blame the humidity
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X