Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 1001

Thread: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

  1. #681
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,827

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Speaking of health insurance, I liked this as a veteran of the nhs myself


  2. #682
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,299

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Scoobs, did you ever think your personal experience may not be the experience of the rest of the civilized world? It changed the industry by enforcing certain new rules upon it, such as they had put 80% of premiums towards care or rebate the rest, couldn't discriminate for pre existing conditions, cap of 10K in out of pocket expenses per year, etc etc. However, for the vast majority of us covered under employer insurance, we didn't have to switch carriers.

    This is the rub with M4A. If people have no problem with their current insurance (a different standard than being "happy" with it) they may not feel the disruption is worth the uncertainty of going on Medicare. That's not the same thing as the transition to the ACA by a longshot which mandated higher standards in the existing industry as opposed to getting rid of the industry entirely.

    BTW - I thought the ACA did nothing according to you? When did your opinion change?
    Insurance is how you distribute risk in a system in which government payment is not guaranteed. So, guarantee payment. Your medical bills will no longer be a cost you bear, just as national defense costs are not a cost you bear. They will be reimbursed by the government to the care provider directly. The entire middle man game of insurance and profiteering will be eliminated as a cost.

    It doesn't matter if you "lose" your insurance if. You. Don't. Need. Insurance. It's like saying you "lose" your debt collection "service" from Big Louie.

    F-ck Big Louie. He always was a predator.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-03-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  3. #683
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    4,425

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Insurance is how you distribute risk in a system in which government payment is not guaranteed. So, guarantee payment. Your medical bills will no longer be a cost you bear, just as national defense costs are not a cost you bear. They will be reimbursed by the government to the care provider directly. The entire middle man game of insurance and profiteering will be eliminated as a cost.

    It doesn't matter if you "lose" your insurance if. You. Don't. Need. Insurance. It's like saying you "lose" your debt collection "service" from Big Louie.

    F-ck Big Louie. He always was a predator.

    I don't have any major complaints about my insurance. We're self-insured and pay Aetna to administer the medical plan and CVS to administer the RX benefit plan. My out-of-pocket costs and premium are both reasonable (and less than I'd probably pay in taxes to support M4A). Selfishly, could be fine with the status quo. I know what my costs are. I know what my coverage is. I'm pretty happy with it. I've never had to fight to get something covered and I've never been stuck with a huge bill. But I know a lot of people are facing different circumstances. My in-laws insurance is not good and they've had a few medical issues and have racked up a little hospital debt. I know other people that just don't go to the doctors, even if they are pretty sick. I think M4A is the right thing to do, even if personally it doesn't benefit me right now.

  4. #684
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,890

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Harris is out.

  5. #685
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,890

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Ouch.



    Chumming the waters. Iím guessing the debates are not going to go well for the billionaires. Biden, and possibly warren and sanders, are going to be the biggest beneficiaries. No more cannons trained on them. Everyone is going to go after Steyer and Bloomberg.

    The most effective question is to ask why theyíre not using their resources to fight down ballot where itís waaaaaaaaay more effective. Every dollar in a tight senate election is probably the same value as $2 or $3 in the presidential. Or $100-$1,000 in their own campaigns. Could you imagine what a million bucks would be to a senate race? Or $100,000 in ten house races?

    These two ****wits deserve to get eaten alive on stage.

  6. #686
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,991

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Insurance is how you distribute risk in a system in which government payment is not guaranteed. So, guarantee payment. Your medical bills will no longer be a cost you bear, just as national defense costs are not a cost you bear. They will be reimbursed by the government to the care provider directly. The entire middle man game of insurance and profiteering will be eliminated as a cost.

    It doesn't matter if you "lose" your insurance if. You. Don't. Need. Insurance. It's like saying you "lose" your debt collection "service" from Big Louie.

    F-ck Big Louie. He always was a predator.
    Great, Kep but I think you left a few things out which you might want to address, like the higher taxes issue. If the funding his tripped up no less than Lizzy Warren who previously had been spot on with all her proposals, I'm seriously worried about anybody else's ability to sell it to the voters.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  7. #687
    Inspired by Actual Events
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da tech
    Posts
    6,017

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    F-ck Big Louie. He always was a predator.
    Naw Big Louie was alright. (I can see his house from my office window)
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

  8. #688
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,336

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Great, Kep but I think you left a few things out which you might want to address, like the higher taxes issue. If the funding his tripped up no less than Lizzy Warren who previously had been spot on with all her proposals, I'm seriously worried about anybody else's ability to sell it to the voters.
    Aaah, yes, the tax issue. HINT FOR THOSE THAT DON'T GET IT: If the government takes over your health care that means that you're current health care costs go away. So, if your taxes go up the same or less than that number there is no ****ing tax issue.

    Elizabeth tried to address this and as usual the mindless automatons aka, the electorate, wasn't listening.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  9. #689
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,991

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Aaah, yes, the tax issue. HINT FOR THOSE THAT DON'T GET IT: If the government takes over your health care that means that you're current health care costs go away. So, if your taxes go up the same or less than that number there is no ****ing tax issue.

    Elizabeth tried to address this and as usual the mindless automatons aka, the electorate, wasn't listening.
    Umm...you do realize that you have to convince the electorate, right? Your own personal view of them aside...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  10. #690
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,336

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Umm...you do realize that you have to convince the electorate, right? Your own personal view of them aside...
    You mean the same electorate who still believes trickle down is awesome? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  11. #691
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,991

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You mean the same electorate who still believes trickle down is awesome? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    So you're saying we're doomed?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  12. #692
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,336

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So you're saying we're doomed?
    I can't teach 150 million people how to add and subtract. That's the only skills that are required.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  13. #693
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    42,713

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ouch.



    Chumming the waters. Iím guessing the debates are not going to go well for the billionaires. Biden, and possibly warren and sanders, are going to be the biggest beneficiaries. No more cannons trained on them. Everyone is going to go after Steyer and Bloomberg.

    The most effective question is to ask why theyíre not using their resources to fight down ballot where itís waaaaaaaaay more effective. Every dollar in a tight senate election is probably the same value as $2 or $3 in the presidential. Or $100-$1,000 in their own campaigns. Could you imagine what a million bucks would be to a senate race? Or $100,000 in ten house races?

    These two ****wits deserve to get eaten alive on stage.
    Well she wont endorse Biden most likely...she wont add much but it would be a nice endorsement for Bernie or Warren.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  14. #694
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,890

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Iím not even talking about endorsements. Iím talking about to who is going to be the biggest targets in the debates.

    She wonít endorse yet I wouldnít think. Maybe in the coming weeks.

  15. #695
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    42,713

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    I dont care who the targets of the debates are...the debates are a friggin unwatchable clownshow. No one is watching them and no one is being swayed by them.

    Endorsements are what matters now.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #696
    Internet Nutcase
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Posts
    4,425

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Aaah, yes, the tax issue. HINT FOR THOSE THAT DON'T GET IT: If the government takes over your health care that means that you're current health care costs go away. So, if your taxes go up the same or less than that number there is no ****ing tax issue.

    Elizabeth tried to address this and as usual the mindless automatons aka, the electorate, wasn't listening.
    i'm onboard, but I think my taxes likely will go up by more than what I currently spend on my insurance.

  17. #697
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,299

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Ideally, the offset will be:

    the wealthy pay a huge amount more

    the upper middle class pays somewhat more

    the lower middle class pays a lot less

    The Poors pay nothing and are now all covered


    Now do this across the board, particularly with education and child care.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  18. #698
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,421

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Aaah, yes, the tax issue. HINT FOR THOSE THAT DON'T GET IT: If the government takes over your health care that means that you're current health care costs go away. So, if your taxes go up the same or less than that number there is no ****ing tax issue.

    Elizabeth tried to address this and as usual the mindless automatons aka, the electorate, wasn't listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Umm...you do realize that you have to convince the electorate, right? Your own personal view of them aside...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You mean the same electorate who still believes trickle down is awesome? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So you're saying we're doomed?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I can't teach 150 million people how to add and subtract. That's the only skills that are required.
    It's a little more complicated than that. I'm paying roughly $4600 pre-tax for my insurance premiums. My employer is contributing a little less than twice that amount to cover the remaining premiums. As much as you'd like to sell the electorate on it, I highly doubt that my employer would increase my wages by that ~$9000 it no longer pays to Screw You Medical Insurance to help cover the increased taxes I'll face under the new system. She can't guarantee that'd happen; you know it, I know it, and any critically thinking adult in this country knows it.

    With that, can the US Government create a universal health care system for just the amount I personally pay in premiums? Without that goal/promise, you can easily bet that program will be highly unpopular.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  19. #699
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,299

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    She's dead, Jim.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  20. #700
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,336

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's a little more complicated than that. I'm paying roughly $4600 pre-tax for my insurance premiums. My employer is contributing a little less than twice that amount to cover the remaining premiums. As much as you'd like to sell the electorate on it, I highly doubt that my employer would increase my wages by that ~$9000 it no longer pays to Screw You Medical Insurance to help cover the increased taxes I'll face under the new system. She can't guarantee that'd happen; you know it, I know it, and any critically thinking adult in this country knows it.

    With that, can the US Government create a universal health care system for just the amount I personally pay in premiums? Without that goal/promise, you can easily bet that program will be highly unpopular.
    And this ladies and gentlemen is how you reap what you sow when you create stupid public policy. What stupid public policy you ask? The stupid public policy that equated health care with employment. You're right, that's an issue. I would have the same issues. That being said it was cheaper for me to cover my daughter through Obamacare than it was to continue to carry her on my employer provided insurance. But, will there be a "donut hole" that people will fall through and pay more? Probably.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •