This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    That's why you campaign. That's why you try to educate those voters. That's why Sanders recently had more people at a rally in an Iowa High School gymnasium than caucused in the entire county in 2016.

If we're just going to worry about the voters who already agree with us then don't bother with a campaign. Just stay dark until the last week and GOTV in the days before the election.
    Waste of time.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Waste of time.
      "Bernie can't win the Michigan primary. Waste of time."
      "AOC can't defeat the #4 Democrat in the House. Waste of time."
      "The House Majority Leader is 30 points up in the polls and has outspent his opponent 40 to 1. He won his last primary 79-21. Challenging Eric Cantor is a waste of time."

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        But no one is saying otherwise. But we are allowed to discuss whether or not those ideas will work. And just because you campaign and educate people that doesnt mean they are going to support your candidate.

BTW your fellow Bernie supporter just wrote all those people off two posts later.
        I don't need everyone. I need 50%+1.

I debated a Catholic priest about choice. He focused on the moral implications. I focused on the health and safety of the woman. I didn't convince all of the people in attendance to vote our way, but a handful of undecideds saw the light. You think fighting a campaign in South Dakota on an issue like abortion is easy or comfortable? Hell no. Talking in Dorchester about an increased minimum wage or here in Maine about ranked choice voting was so much simpler and far more comfortable. The odds were against us from the start but we campaigned. We made phone calls, we went door to door, we educated people on the truth of the matter and in the end we won. That's why you wage a campaign. If you aren't willing to fight for the things you claim to believe in then what will you fight for?

Comment

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          If you aren't willing to fight for the things you claim to believe in then what will you fight for?
          Exactly.

Big changes should be hard. There should be resistance. That's a healthy skepticism for new ideas, and it also means you're getting somewhere. Show me a movement that faced no resistance and I'll show you people who didn't really change anything.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Exactly.

Big changes should be hard. There should be resistance. That's a healthy skepticism for new ideas, and it also means you're getting somewhere. Show me a movement that faced no resistance and I'll show you people who didn't really change anything.
            I don’t want the guy to be president (it’s time to go play shuffleboard in Boca Raton Joe), but Joe Biden was the guy that said (paraphrasing) “you know what, I don’t give a **** if gay people get married” and forced Obama to publicly “evolve” when most democrat politicians were still supporting the dumb “separate but equal” civil unions.

We can worry about “electability” and still make progress.

Comment

"Bernie can't win the Michigan primary. Waste of time."
              "AOC can't defeat the #4 Democrat in the House. Waste of time."
              "The House Majority Leader is 30 points up in the polls and has outspent his opponent 40 to 1. He won his last primary 79-21. Challenging Eric Cantor is a waste of time."
              1) It didn't do Sanders any good. he still got crushed in the primaries.
              2) Nobody said this and the race wasn't on anybody's radar
              3) Same as #2.

Sometimes the exception is just the exception!
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Barack Obama
                Everybody needs to chill out about the candidates, but gin up about the prospect of rallying behind whoever emerges from this process.

Comment

I don't need everyone. I need 50%+1.

I debated a Catholic priest about choice. He focused on the moral implications. I focused on the health and safety of the woman. I didn't convince all of the people in attendance to vote our way, but a handful of undecideds saw the light. You think fighting a campaign in South Dakota on an issue like abortion is easy or comfortable? Hell no. Talking in Dorchester about an increased minimum wage or here in Maine about ranked choice voting was so much simpler and far more comfortable. The odds were against us from the start but we campaigned. We made phone calls, we went door to door, we educated people on the truth of the matter and in the end we won. That's why you wage a campaign. If you aren't willing to fight for the things you claim to believe in then what will you fight for?
                  Right...but you seem offended (and trix is perpetually offended) if anyone dares question if the ideas you put forth will garner you the support needed to get that 50+1. You want a primary system but you dont want to hear anyone dare question the policies you support and demonize those that do. (not you per se but people closer to trix in their standoffishness) Just because some people dont support M4A right now doesnt make them bad people (or basically Republicans as they are sometimes called) and just cause a candidate might not be as Left doesnt make them Corpratist Sellouts or Sociopaths.

The blade cuts both ways, if we are here to debate (which I think we all are on this side of the aisle) then that means all candidates get put under a microscope, not just the ones you choose.

I am all for trying to educate the masses because I would much rather get past the stupidity and put in the policies that help everyone, but I also live in the real world and realize that you can give the people all the information they need to make an informed decision and they still might choose poorly. I would love to believe that Bernie can go into the Rust Belt and turn people's minds around on many of the issues but until he actually does I am going to highly doubt it. That doesnt mean he shouldnt try or that he should be discouraged from trying. We should be out there acting that way every day from now til the end of time. But until I see they will vote for him I wont believe it.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Right...but you seem offended (and trix is perpetually offended) if anyone dares question if the ideas you put forth will garner you the support needed to get that 50+1. You want a primary system but you dont want to hear anyone dare question the policies you support and demonize those that do. (not you per se but people closer to trix in their standoffishness) Just because some people dont support M4A right now doesnt make them bad people (or basically Republicans as they are sometimes called) and just cause a candidate might not be as Left doesnt make them Corpratist Sellouts or Sociopaths.

The blade cuts both ways, if we are here to debate (which I think we all are on this side of the aisle) then that means all candidates get put under a microscope, not just the ones you choose.
                    I hope you don't doubt that liberals want the same thing. We want to win in the free market of ideas. We don't want to impose anything. We believe in our ideas and our thought processes and we welcome an honest debate with a free vote at the end. If we lose then we support whoever the party chooses. That's what happened in 2016.

Democrats are not the problem. While a few people can be intolerant intolerance is not baked into the Left the way it is the Right. We are curious while they are authoritarian. We, both center and Left, can have a free and logical debate. They have to argue back from received wisdom to make the facts fit. That's why the more we make electoral processes democratic and free and logical the better Democrats do.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 11-22-2019, 12:48 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What is the free stuff someone was just complaining about last night? I’ve heard free college from a few candidates- which I personally oppose without some real concrete guidelines existing - but what else are candidates saying will be totally free?

I didn’t get an Obama phone, I want my free goodies this time around!

Comment

I'd just like to see some evidence of progressives winning in swing districts. No offense to AOC (notice how all the good looking and smart people go to BU? AOC...mookie...me.. ), but she represents a very liberal district. Otherwise all I see in places like PA, MI, VA, WI, NC (all with Dem govs) are corporate sellout conservadems! What gives?
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          What is the free stuff someone was just complaining about last night? I’ve heard free college from a few candidates- which I personally oppose without some real concrete guidelines existing - but what else are candidates saying will be totally free?

I didn’t get an Obama phone, I want my free goodies this time around!
                          Healthcare.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Healthcare.
                            I mean, it’s not free. Goddamit that’s what taxes are for. People would pay less than they’re paying now and I wish people had to take one advanced Econ course before crying about it

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              I mean, it’s not free. Goddamit that’s what taxes are for. People would pay less than they’re paying now and I wish people had to take one advanced Econ course before crying about it
                              No, he's right. We should each pay for the military through user fees and private invasion insurance. That'd be way more efficient.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Reparations

Seriously?
                                4 more years
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X