X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    People might want to ease off on the Buttigieg is the nominee schtick for a little while.
    Is anybody saying he will be the nominee? The argument is whether he would make a competitive one. I think he would. I think all the top five (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, Harris) would.

It looks like Klobuchar will beat Harris out for fifth in both IA and NH. That kills Harris unless she wins in SC (she is currently polling 5% there) and gives us the top four. And then those four run for a while. Biden never gets out no matter what, it's his last dance. The loser of the Sanders/Warren h2h eventually drops out and endorses the other. Let's say that's Warren for the sake of argument.

The question is, what shape is the Democratic electorate in the primaries? If it's anything north of 60/40 Centrist then Biden probably wins the nomination unless he completely collapses. With say a Biden/Pete 70/30 split and a Center/Left split of 60/40, Biden comes into the convention with 42% of the electorate which translates to over 50% of the delegates.

Likewise, a Center/Left split of 50/50 means the combined delegates for Warren and Sanders are going to be around 50% and the leader between them will also lead the field. Since delegates remain committed on the first ballot that means Warren (remember, we're assuming she's the Left survivor, but it could as easily be the other way) is in the low 40s on the first ballot. The second ballot happens and the superdelegates are released. If Biden is trailing Warren significantly (>5%) then, with the Sanders delegates moving to Warren, the superdelegates will make it a love in and indeed at that point I would expect a nomination for Warren by acclamation to start the hugs and kisses.

If Biden completely disintegrates, as in the final Center split is like 70/30 Buttigieg, then the Biden delegates and supers push him through on the second ballot regardless of the Center/Left party balance, because the supers have an excuse to hose the Left (again).

So, there are ways for each of four to win. At this point the odds I'd lay are:

.4 Biden
    .3 Warren
    .1 Sanders
    .1 Buttigieg
    .1 a convention white knight. Let's say Sherrod Brown to swing OH and the election.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I was making a joke, sonny.
      If you have to explain the joke Old Man...

(A Millennial would have said "Ok Boomer" )
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I 100% do NOT think Mayor Pete will be the candidate. I think he has the power to crown them though.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          As usual...you missed the point.
          So I must conclude you are intentionally trying to be a moron...
          You don't have a point for me to miss so instead you're just insulting me.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            I don't think most of us have a problem with Bernie's tax plan. Again, most of us would be perfectly happy if Bernie won.

pointing out valid concerns about his health, or pointing out that Trix is an idiot does not meany we have a policy disagreement.
            Every major candidate with the exception of Mayor Pete is over 70 years old. Let's not pretend they're all spring chickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Every major candidate with the exception of Mayor Pete is over 70 years old. Let's not pretend they're all spring chickens.
              That is true. Only one had a heart attack on the campaign trail. Let’s not pretend that didn’t happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                You don't have a point for me to miss so instead you're just insulting me.
                Try reading it again...see if you can come up with a reason why calling a candidate a sociopath without proof vs calling how supporters may view their chosen candidate as a God...not only is different but why the former is likely a bad idea.
                Can you figure that one out?
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  People might want to ease off on the Buttigieg is the nominee schtick for a little while. The guy had one good poll in one state. He's statistical noise in NH and he's non-existent in South Carolina (polling at zero % in one survey). Maybe everyone can put away the knives at least until he shows a little more staying power.
                  He's had multiple good polls in Iowa and is clearly rising in New Hampshire. Whether he can start attracting African American support is your one correct offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    I 100% do NOT think Mayor Pete will be the candidate. I think he has the power to crown them though.
                    Interesting theory. I could probably buy that second sentence.

This might be an interesting question: Are there more viable candidates or people who could lock it down for the candidate? Are these people universal or for specific candidates?

I'm leaning towards there being fewer crowners than viable canddiates. There are probably four still viable candidates. Biden, Warren, Sanders, and at the fringe, Pete. Who are the people that could lock them in? Kepler mentioned Abrams would lock it down for Pete. Anyone else want to weigh in on the him or any of the other pairings?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Iowa:
                      11/17 CNN Buttigieg 25, Warren 16, Biden 15, Sanders 15
                      11/17 CBS Buttigieg 21, Warren 18, Biden 22, Sanders 22
                      11/12 Monmouth Buttigieg 22, Warren 18, Biden 19, Sanders 13

New Hampshire:
                      11/17 CBS Warren 31, Biden 22, Sanders 20, Buttigieg 16
                      11/11 Quinnipiac Warren 16, Biden 20, Sanders 14, Buttigieg 15

Comment

[Pete]'s non-existent in South Carolina (polling at zero % in one survey).
                        Source?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...outh-carolina/

Edit: Are you talking about the October 3rd poll from Gravis Marketing that had Steyer at 7%? Or the one in February? Otherwise they've all had him at least register.
                        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-19-2019, 04:15 PM.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

(polling at zero % in one survey)
                          I believe you saw the same thing I did which was a predicted delegate count. He wasn't actually polling at zero, it was like 8%, but that would net him zero delegates.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I believe you saw the same thing I did which was a predicted delegate count. He wasn't actually polling at zero, it was like 8%, but that would net him zero delegates.
                            It was the Gravis poll but correct, this is more right as that was one out of 5 polls.
                            Last edited by Rover; 11-19-2019, 04:20 PM.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

South Carolina:
                              11/18 Quinnipiac Biden 33, Warren 13, Sanders 11, Buttigieg 6
                              11/17 CBS Biden 45, Warren 17, Sanders 15, Buttigieg 8

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Kepler mentioned Abrams would lock it down for Pete. Anyone else want to weigh in on the him or any of the other pairings?
                                I meant that Abrams would be a great Veep pick to beat Dump. I didn't mean to suggests that Abrams would help him win the nom if he chose her before the convention was locked.

As a rule I hate it when candidates chose their Veeps early. The convention is the appropriate place for that because it should be in consultation with the party. It's the nominee's final choice, but beforehand everybody should have their say so there are no nasty surprises afterwards.

My Veep picks for beating Dump:

Biden. Best: Castro. Worst: a white guy
                                Warren. Best: Buttigieg. Worst: Sanders
                                Sanders. Best: Harris. Worst: Warren
                                Buttigieg. Best: Abrams. Worst: a white guy
                                Last edited by Kepler; 11-19-2019, 04:25 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X