Yale Bulldogs 2019-2020 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Bulldogs 2019-2020 season thread

Followed the game on my phone while watching a spring training game between the Brewers and A's.

I was worried going into the third period on Saturday, but the offense finally clicked.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      Well deserved win, Yale dominated the day. If not for Hanson this game should have been a rout.
      Yale should have won comfortably in regulation, but you have to admit that was a pretty close shave on the Union disallowed goal in 2OT.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Yale should have won comfortably in regulation, but you have to admit that was a pretty close shave on the Union disallowed goal in 2OT.
        I was at the other end of the rink, and the replay on ESPN did not show the overhead view, so I really can’t make an educated statement. I think the determining factor could have been that the forward who made contact and the Yale D-man were moving on an angle away from the goalie and not directly towards the goalie. If the forwards skate made contact with the goalies skate within the blue paint, before the puck went in, then I think they have to call interference. The Ref waved it off immediately. It would be interesting to find whether the refs call was confirmed or there was not enough evidence to overturn his call. Longest review I have ever seen. I took off when Yale scored in OT, what did Union review?
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

I was at the other end of the rink, and the replay on ESPN did not show the overhead view, so I really can’t make an educated statement. I think the determining factor could have been that the forward who made contact and the Yale D-man were moving on an angle away from the goalie and not directly towards the goalie. If the forwards skate made contact with the goalies skate within the blue paint, before the puck went in, then I think they have to call interference. The Ref waved it off immediately. It would be interesting to find whether the refs call was confirmed or there was not enough evidence to overturn his call. Longest review I have ever seen. I took off when Yale scored in OT, what did Union review?
          Only saw the ESPN broadcast. Kascpersky didn't seem to protest after he realized that the puck was past him, although there wasn't much of an opportunity to protest given the immediate waive-off.

I thought it was a good goal, but to be fair, Rick Bennett and some of the Union players said that it would have been tough to overturn and that the referees did their job in the postgame comments. I just don't like seeing goals waived-off when the contact appears incidental and doesn't actually impede--at least judging from the lack of protest from the goaltender.

Comment

Good luck this weekend LT!

Never say never . . . you guys have pulled this magic off before on us - except that year (2013) Harvard's Luke Esposito boarded Sam Anas taking the sharp end of the stick away from the Bobcats, which weighed into the changed season outcome. When Billy Sweezey took out (clean hit, ala setting blind pick in basketball - teach one to dribble with head up) Jayden Lee the first thought was Luke Esposito boarding Sam Anas - - in any case, hopefully we are going to see great weekend of hockey either way. This is year over year the best rivalry.

Comment

Just spoke to the Yale box office and they stated that meetings are taking place today about whether fans will be allowed to attend this weekends games.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

I would have counted the goal or called an interference penalty on the Yale defenseman playing Kolias (which IIRC they couldn't call in review so it wasn't an option given that it wasn't called on the ice). He came from the outside and leaned in using his stick to obstruct as they came down the slot - leaving Kolias no path other than into the goaltender (he was leaning to the right into the defenseman when his left foot apparently clipped Kaczpersky on the way by). Given that he almost successfully avoided contact anyway it's hard to see how the defenseman's actions weren't considered enough to have caused any obstruction of the goaltender.

The rulebook says, "If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player and causes contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

Since it's a judgment call the ref could have justified his decision based on the fact that he didn't think the defenseman fouled or pushed enough to cause the contact or that he didn't see enough evidence that Kolias tried to avoid it. I wouldn't agree with those interpretations, but I could see how he could come to such a conclusion, particularly since he waived off the goal immediately.
                Last edited by rpi82; 03-09-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Well this season has ended unexpectedly. I presume that the university did what it thought it was best for the kids. We can argue all day about the decision, but safety is paramount. Good luck to the seniors moving forward.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Well this season has ended unexpectedly. I presume that the university did what it thought it was best for the kids. We can argue all day about the decision, but safety is paramount. Good luck to the seniors moving forward.
                    Truly a sad situation, but I've come to accept the "rather be safe than sorry" approach to this whole thing.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Not sure what to make of the season in retrospect. On the one hand, Yale started 2-7 and was around .500 at seasons end. On the other hand, the descent into mediocrity continues. The team had some pretty bad performances against the good teams in the league, mixed in with a couple of close ones against Q and Harvard.

They did, for the most part, beat the teams they should have beaten, but it's no consolation finishing in the middle of the pack again.

Comment

Working...
                      X