Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SUNY Plattsburgh 2019-20 - Steve Moffat - Season 1

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I’m completely joking about being the one that threw the bagel that chased that.
    Yeah that guy isn't with us anymore...

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      I’m completely joking about being the one that threw the bagel that chased that.
      Knew that. But I was there to beat the Lakers and close out Romney. Was quite a game. Always good and lots of fun there. Miss atmosphere too. Really miicr now but was fun but very cold !!!! LOL.

Comment

• Is WIRY not doing the game tonight???

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          Is WIRY not doing the game tonight???
          No.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            No.
            What happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
              What happened?
              I don’t know. I was only told they weren’t here.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                Is WIRY not doing the game tonight???
                I don't think they have anyone real keen on the travel. I don't think we'll see someone travel with the team full time like Ducky did...
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Unfortunately, it was the completely predictable end to the season. Plattsburgh just doesn't have the talent to stay with good teams any more. They were completely outplayed last night and were unable to generate any offense at all. Maybe this team will improve just with age, but I saw a very wide talent gap last night that 9 months of aging isn't going to close...
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

So there has been much discussion here and Facebook about the fall of Plattsburgh State hockey. A lot of people have said this year it was because it was such a young team but I have had a hard time believing that because if you look at Oswego's Senior class this year there was no let down when most of them were underclassmen. So I decided to look into it and this is what I have come up with. Plattsburgh's senior class was 4 players 2 of which were D1 transfers. Joe Drabin and Philip Middleton played all 4 years at Plattsburgh so I went back to their Freshman class. Drabin an Middleton were part of a 11 player Freshman class, so what happened the other 9 players? 2- Graduated early and left, 2- Transferred to other schools, 1- went pro and 4- haven't showed up on any other rosters so not sure what happened with them. I compared Plattsburgh's 16-17 Freshman class to Oswego and Geneseo's 16-17 Freshman class. Geneseo had a 7 player Freshman class that year and have a Senior class this year that has 8 players, they had a D1 transfer come in the reason for a extra player. Oswego had a 10 player Freshman class and this years Senior class has 14 players, they had 5 Transfers come in and Richer lost a year of eligibility because of his play in Major Junior. They lost 3 players from that Freshman class to transfer. Then I looked at players that have left school in that same time frame and this is what I have got-

Brockport-3
                    Buff St- 7
                    Cortland- 2
                    Fredonia- 4
                    Geneseo- 1
                    Morrisville- 8
                    Oswego- 3
                    Plattsburgh- 10
                    Potsdam- 2

Plattsburgh has lost the most in a 4 year span, that includes this year where they lost 5 players 1 which had just transferred to Plattsburgh for the 2nd semester. What this tells me is that recruiting has not been the best in the past few years finding players that want to be here and committed to Plattsburgh State hockey. We need to start getting players with skill and that want to be here for the 4 years no matter if they need to wait a year or two to get a full time position. Losing so many players on a consistent basis makes it very difficult to create team chemistry. To me that is where the coach's need to start in rebuilding this program and branch out from there.

Comment

Agree players coming in and out is not good for anybody,instability is not good, just look at the stock market lately...Perhaps the uncertainty in the front office had a little to do with it?? I am sure PSU can put together another post or just point us to a old one?? D1 transfers are NOT the answer for sure,and most come from D1 lite...I think these are tough days recruiting,many new teams in D3 who are out there grabbing players that may have gone to other top teams b4...….who knows...will say winning does solve a lot of things,but then gotta get recruits to win.....I am sure Platty will figure it out..

Comment

Agree with bak. The solution would point to what Genny did this year and last. But then, in OZ, our 13 seniors couldn't get it done this year.

Comment

• From talking with a few who knows Platts old bball Coach and Emory I got the feeling that the new AD will be a huge issue with the athletic program moving forward. You just can't loose 3 hall of fame type coaches in 1 year and not have flaggs go up. Heard a rumor that Kevin Houle was not even ask about the men's hockey opening but also one has to apply. I honestly hope the Cards right the ship for the program has been the standard bearer for such a long time.
                          Oswego'88

Comment

I hate to see what seems to have happened a Plattsburgh. The same thing happened at Middlebury, but both women's programs have continued to succeed. I don't know what the reasons are for the declines (although Midd did start to tail off at the end of Beaney's reign, but after he left they are just no longer really relevant). You want your rivals to be good, just want them to be a shade less good than you, because those rivalry games are a real important part of the season. I'd like NU/Platts and NU/Midd to have the electricity they used to have.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
                              From talking with a few who knows Platts old bball Coach and Emory I got the feeling that the new AD will be a huge issue with the athletic program moving forward. You just can't loose 3 hall of fame type coaches in 1 year and not have flaggs go up. Heard a rumor that Kevin Houle was not even ask about the men's hockey opening but also one has to apply. I honestly hope the Cards right the ship for the program has been the standard bearer for such a long time.
                              Oswego'88
                              I'm not going to make any comments about the AD situation or Plattsburgh in general. I'll leave you to speculate on that.

The only thing I will say having ZERO knowledge on the situation and just looking at it objectively...why on god's green earth would Kevin Houle ever leave the setup he's got on the women's side at Plattsburgh?

He makes nearly as much as Emery did, has undeniably the top D-III women's program year in and year out winning five national championships in six years and he's been out of the men's game for 15+ years.

In what world would it make sense for Houle to leave that to try and right the ship on the men's side when Plattsburgh has become a middle of the pack team in its conference?

What incentive is there for Kevin Houle to leave the Plattsburgh women's position for anything else other than maybe a high profile Division I job, if he even had interest in going to that level?

EDIT: I just looked it up through seethroughny and Emery and Houle made basically identical salaries in 2019.
                              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 03-11-2020, 11:03 AM.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this wasn't a sudden collapse by this program in 2019/2020. After going 20-4-3 in 2015/16, the team has posted records of 17-10-1, 13-12-1, 13-12-2, and 10-14-3. It would seem that the roster has slipped over the last four years. Can they come back? I have my doubts they'll ever be as elite as they once were. I'll be very happy if they become competitive in the SUNYAC conference again.
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Working...
                                X