Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2019...ckey-tour.aspx

Congrats to Emma Nuutinen and freshman goaltender Jenna Silvonen on being named to Team Finland for the next tourney in the Euro Cup. This means Hurst will be without them for the series against St Cloud in 2 weeks time; hopefully they are available for the RMU series this weekend.

Silvonen got her first collegiate start on the weekend, and turned in a shutout against Union.

Interesting that two wins against Union gets Mercyhurst back receiving votes in the polls but I will definitely take it. The win against UConn a few weeks back paid some surprising dividends I suppose, with UConns two wins against BC and BC tying Minnesota. Further, a win is a win and the Lakers have taken care of business against the teams they are supposed to beat. Still looking for a statement win but this weekend is a great opportunity. No question that right now they should be in discussion as a top ten team.

The goal hi lights are out there on Twitter for anyone who cares to look....that top shelf OT one timer by Dobson off the draw from Knott was so nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      https://hurstathletics.com/news/2019...ckey-tour.aspx

Congrats to Emma Nuutinen and freshman goaltender Jenna Silvonen on being named to Team Finland for the next tourney in the Euro Cup. This means Hurst will be without them for the series against St Cloud in 2 weeks time; hopefully they are available for the RMU series this weekend.

Silvonen got her first collegiate start on the weekend, and turned in a shutout against Union.

Interesting that two wins against Union gets Mercyhurst back receiving votes in the polls but I will definitely take it. The win against UConn a few weeks back paid some surprising dividends I suppose, with UConns two wins against BC and BC tying Minnesota. Further, a win is a win and the Lakers have taken care of business against the teams they are supposed to beat. Still looking for a statement win but this weekend is a great opportunity. No question that right now they should be in discussion as a top ten team.

The goal hi lights are out there on Twitter for anyone who cares to look....that top shelf OT one timer by Dobson off the draw from Knott was so nice!

If Mercyhurst beats Robert Morris, then maybe those five votes go-to Mercyhurst. Or I guess it could be vice versa.

Thanks on Twitter links.

UCONN is currently ahead of BU in the Hockey East, but is getting even less love than Mercyhurst and Robert Morris with no votes at all --- so it could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
        UCONN is currently ahead of BU in the Hockey East, but is getting even less love than Mercyhurst and Robert Morris with no votes at all --- so it could be worse.
        Absolutely. And as is often the case, there are numerous teams that could be in the top ten convo. Really, the polls are fun for fans and probably a recruiting tool, but for the players it comes down to just going out and getting wins and everything will sort itself out.

Comment

UConn is in a pack of five HEA teams that are within two games either way of .500. For any of those to get votes, I think it will need to separate from that group and make a run at the top group with the three Boston teams.

It's similar with RMU and Mercyhurst. The voters are more likely to embrace one that cements itself as the top team in the CHA. If neither does, then a team like UMD has enough good results (wins over Mercyhurst, Clarkson, Colgate, UConn, ties with OSU and UM) to balance out bad losses to BSU and Quinnipiac.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Lakers defeated RMU 5-2 on the road to move to 10-4-1 on the season. Kennedy Blair didn’t get a star in the game but obviously kept them in it in the first when the Lakers were outshot a bit. I watched the last ten minutes of the game and she made some big saves. On the second goal by RMU, Blair pretty much stopped a one on 0, and then it was the secondary chance (short handed) that went it. At least that’s how it looked on the replay; they may have been piecing highlights together as the goal happened right before I turned it on... In other words she was solid, with 34 saves on the night, and I would have given her a star if I were in charge of such things.

Goal scorers for Hurst were Nelles, Nuutinen, Knott, Pinto and then
            Robillard with an empty netter. Nice job on at least three of those goals of having a mess of traffic in front of the net. Goaltender DeSmet couldn’t have seen much. I have to think Raygan Kirk will get the start tomorrow. On RMU scoring it was Templeman, Gebhard, and Boyle that got all the points.

Can’t remember the last time there was a series sweep between these two teams. Record in last 11 games vs each other is 6-4-1 in favor of Hurst if I recall the pregame stat correctly. I’m hoping Hurst can take that step forward tomorrow, and not have any kind of emotional let down after today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
              Lakers defeated RMU 5-2 on the road to move to 10-4-1 on the season. Kennedy Blair didn’t get a star in the game but obviously kept them in it in the first when the Lakers were outshot a bit. I watched the last ten minutes of the game and she made some big saves. On the second goal by RMU, Blair pretty much stopped a one on 0, and then it was the secondary chance (short handed) that went it. At least that’s how it looked on the replay; they may have been piecing highlights together as the goal happened right before I turned it on... In other words she was solid, with 34 saves on the night, and I would have given her a star if I were in charge of such things.

Goal scorers for Hurst were Nelles, Nuutinen, Knott, Pinto and then
              Robillard with an empty netter. Nice job on at least three of those goals of having a mess of traffic in front of the net. Goaltender DeSmet couldn’t have seen much. I have to think Raygan Kirk will get the start tomorrow. On RMU scoring it was Templeman, Gebhard, and Boyle that got all the points.

Can’t remember the last time there was a series sweep between these two teams. Record in last 11 games vs each other is 6-4-1 in favor of Hurst if I recall the pregame stat correctly. I’m hoping Hurst can take that step forward tomorrow, and not have any kind of emotional let down after today.
              Another win and you will be top ten.

Comment

Another win and you will be top ten.
                Exactly. Tomorrow should be an amazing game. Last one of the year for RMU.

Comment

That would be huge if Mercyhurst sweeps Robert Morris tomorrow, and at Robert Morris, no less - what a way to head into the holiday break!

Comment

Great win by the Lakers, hopefully they build off that for Saturdays game. Looked like it was a good crowd. I think RMU won the 1st period, pretty even 2nd, then all Mercyhurst in the 3rd. Nice seeing 5 different goal scorers for the Lakers and Blair was solid.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                      Great win by the Lakers, hopefully they build off that for Saturdays game. Looked like it was a good crowd. I think RMU won the 1st period, pretty even 2nd, then all Mercyhurst in the 3rd. Nice seeing 5 different goal scorers for the Lakers and Blair was solid.
                      Robert Morris had other ideas in game 2, classic CHA.

Comment

Lakers play St Cloud this weekend at home. Thankful it’s at home, after a week of finals...and does St Cloud still has Olympic sized ice? I always felt that was a tough building to play in. Further, Lakers will be without Nuutinen and Silvonen.

St Cloud is 4-0-1 against the CHA this year and 0-12 against the WCHA teams although they don’t get blown out. Scored 5 goals against Wisconsin in a weekend and 4 against OSU for example. So I expect the Lakers will have to work hard for any wins. Last years last game of the year were a train wreck that we won’t discuss, but in terms of progressing as a team, a sweep this weekend would be huge. Not taking anything for granted; Lakers need to go out and get the first one.

I believe St Cloud will be without a player due to the Euro Cup as well.

Comment

St Cloud will actually be without 3 players due to National team commitments.... 2 of them are in the top 5 in points on the team.

Fazokas, Kluge and Nyland will be away.

Comment

Yes, the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center still has an Olympic sheet. The Huskies have the same problem that they've had through most of the decade: can't score much. They have strong goaltending and I think that they are playing better team defense under Coach Macdonald. Nylund is the skater on their roster who most stands out to me (although I haven't seen as much of Hymlárová), so her absence should hurt SCSU.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Yes, the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center still has an Olympic sheet. The Huskies have the same problem that they've had through most of the decade: can't score much. They have strong goaltending and I think that they are playing better team defense under Coach Macdonald. Nylund is the skater on their roster who most stands out to me (although I haven't seen as much of Hymlárová), so her absence should hurt SCSU.
                              With Alder out with concussion issues the goal tending has been very inconsistent! Not sure whats up with Polusny, but she has not helped the cause....

Comment

Thanks for the info Tool Shed and ARM. I was wondering what the story with Alder was.

Comment

Working...
                                X