2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Lakers decisively beat Syracuse tonight 6-2. Great start to the weekend and still holding a one point lead over RMU in the standings. Silvonen in net again.

Comment

Lakers go undefeated at home this year 12-0-4, with a 1-0 win over Syracuse today. Only goal was by Emma Nuutinen assisted by Vasko. Nuutinen toe dragged the defender as cut to the middle then went to her back hand and roofed it against Allison Small. Really pretty goal.

Obvious stars are Nuutinen, and Blair who got the shutout. Great team game and the team made history with their home record this year - never went unbeaten at home before. Congrats to all. Edit: ok they went unbeaten once at home before, still amazing!

Thought Pinto, Knott and Mortlock all made some great individual plays today whether it was clogging up the middle late in the game, cleaning up the puck in front of the Laker net when things were a little yikes, or jumping into the air to keep a puck in the offensive zone respectively. things the scoresheet doesn’t show. Korzack was all over the ice in a good way.

Really exciting time of year in women’s hockey and hopefully for the Lakers the best is yet to come. Penn State on the road next weekend.
      Last edited by Lindsay; 02-22-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Really exciting time of year in women’s hockey and hopefully for the Lakers the best is yet to come. Penn State on the road next weekend.
        Congrats on the fantastic home record this season - wowza!

It's Senior Day next Saturday at Penn State, so you can't win that one. In fact, showing up with an extra-short Mercyhurst bench would be the right thing to do. You know, for the Penn State seniors.

Comment

A great 2 wins by the Lakers over Syracuse this weekend. Senior day on Sat capped off by an ‘undefeated at home’ record and a beauty goal from Nuutinen. Highlight goal !
          Next week Lakers at Penn State while Syracuse at RMU. It’ll be an interesting regular season CHA final weekend for sure .

Comment

Enjoying the Mercyhurst Penn State broadcast. They are playing Christmas music between periods for some reason, but I guess that’s how they roll. And now the zamboni song.... I really do need to get to a game at Penn State!

Little bit of power play left for the Lakers as they start the second. Blair is looking sharp in net. 1-0 Lakers on a nice goal off the rush by Korzack assisted by Theissen....goal was maybe tipped by Pinto.

Comment

Lakers take a 1-0 lead into the 2nd intermission. They 3-0-7 vs Penn State in their last ten... and last 4 games vs each other ended in ties.

Penn State starts the third on the power play. Big 20 minutes coming up.

Comment

Great third period from the Lakers, who won 3-0. Felt like the whole third period was played in the Penn State zone. A Penn State player baubled the puck and had a turnover near their own blue line early in the third. Believe it was Nelles who pounced on the puck and got it to Nuutinen for one a one time bomb off the wall. Lakers were energized by that, and eventually drew a penalty that quickly resulted in a nice Vasko goal. In tight to the crease, she received a pass and got the puck upstairs to put this game away.

Tremendous game by Blair. Play of the game was end of the first when she made a huge save on the rush on what would have been a short handed tying goal for Penn State had it gone in.

Really enjoyed watching the Korzack line. More than once they’d go out and have a good offensive shift, get some zone time and then be followed by the Vasko line. Had to be a lot for Penn State to handle. A nice night by the Lakers.

If Syracuse wins tonight, Lakers lock up first place. Regardless Hurst controls its own destiny and has a chance to win the regular season tomorrow.

Comment

Huge congrats to the Lakers on their regular season Championship.

Cuse helped Hurst out today by finishing off RMU, whereas Lakers just didn't have things go their way and got beat 2-0 by an energetic, hardworking Penn State team. Both Penn State goals were nice goals. The 3 and 4 seeds winning today will make for a great tournament where anyone believes they can win the tourney.

Credit to Penn State on the win, and especially on dominating Hurst on face offs oh my god. Lakers will hold their heads up and regroup and be ready for the playoffs. They had some goal posts, some good plays in their own right. They'll enjoy the success of a a reg season championship and be hungry for more.

Comment

Mercyhurst should drive the trophy down to Robert Morris and let them look at it.

Comment

Blair has three assists which is more than some of our skaters. That's impressive for a goalie.

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2020...nce-teams.aspx

Nice job Lakers!
                        Nuutinen CHA player of the year, Vasko defensive forward of the year, Sisti Coach of the year.

Nuutinen and Robillard first team all CHA, Isbell and Knott 2nd Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          https://hurstathletics.com/news/2020...nce-teams.aspx

Nice job Lakers!
                          Nuutinen CHA player of the year, Vasko defensive forward of the year, Sisti Coach of the year.

Nuutinen and Robillard first team all CHA, Isbell and Knott 2nd Team.
                          Robillard! What a senior year. Not sure on Nuutinen for player of the year over Gebhard, but definitely First Team.
                          Vasko, the Stoney Creek product, continues to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            Robillard! What a senior year. Not sure on Nuutinen for player of the year over Gebhard, but definitely First Team.
                            Vasko, the Stoney Creek product, continues to get better.
                            Well you know Emma has my vote. But of course you could debate back and forth. I’m not debating your view but just want to share how much I’ve enjoyed watching Nuutinen the past few years.

She is yet another player whose game has evolved and improved since we first saw her. She definitely made noise as a freshman at UND - she was a huge pick up for Hurst, but she got better and better. I don’t know the last time Hurst had a 20 goal scorer on their roster or a player who posted more than a point a game. Maybe the 2014 season? But Nuutinen got there this year. There are scores of examples of timely goals, but most recently her ability to capitalize on that Penn State turnover and one time a puck off the wall into the net in game 1 last weekend to lift Hurst to 2-0 score. Just a really fun player to watch, a work horse and and an on ice leader. She is a huge part of why Hurst won that championship game a couple years back and I’m sure she’ll give everything she’s got this weekend.

I’d like to say more about the other winners but time is short. Isbell converting to a D partway through her career and then thriving is impressive. We’ve talked about Robillard’s senior season. No one plays tougher minutes than Vasko, another even keel workhorse who shows up every game. Knott somehow flies under the radar because she is an assist machine rather than flashy goals, but is another great choice for an all CHA team and will be missed next year. Sisti, Kelley and Beth continue to a great job with this program. Should be a great weekend of hockey ahead of us.

Comment

Nuutinen is fun to watch regardless of which team you're rooting for. Last week, I heard other fans at Penn State say what I was thinking when she was on the ice: "Man, she looks so big!". She's just so smooth, and I did enjoy watching her play hockey, even when it was costing Penn State.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lindsay;6915661]Well you know Emma has my vote. But of course you could debate back and forth. I’m not debating your view but just want to share how much I’ve enjoyed watching Nuutinen the past few years.

She is yet another player whose game has evolved and improved since we first saw her. She definitely made noise as a freshman at UND - she was a huge pick up for Hurst, but she got better and better. I don’t know the last time Hurst had a 20 goal scorer on their roster or a player who posted more than a point a game. Maybe the 2014 season? But Nuutinen got there this year. There are scores of examples of timely goals, but most recently her ability to capitalize on that Penn State turnover and one time a puck off the wall into the net in game 1 last weekend to lift Hurst to 2-0 score. Just a really fun player to watch, a work horse and and an on ice leader. She is a huge part of why Hurst won that championship game a couple years back and I’m sure she’ll give everything she’s got this weekend.

Bad goal let in by Burke on the howitzer from the wall at a 45 degree angle.

Nuutinen looked like Zdeno Chara when she did that spinorama on #16. (The size difference). I'm not sure PSU wants to see that matchup again or at least they shouldn't.

Certainly, the argument should be made that Nuutinen was on the regular season champs and Gebhard wasn't. Sports are a game of inches.

Comment

Working...
                                X