2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Lakers are currently 4-1–1 and receiving votes in the polls. Really exciting weekend this weekend as Hurst hosts the first ever Ice Breaker tournament in Buffalo at Harbor Center. Teams playing are Hurst vs UMD, and UConn vs Colgate, and then a second game based on the results of the first.

Great event for the players to make it to HarborCenter and exciting to watch teams play each other who don’t usually do so. In 20 years Hurst has played UMD 6 times, UConn 10 times and Colgate 30+ times.

I won’t be able to watch much this year, but wanted a general thread on here for the Lakers as I still follow generally, and appreciate all the commentary on various teams here.

Gist out of Erie as far as I can tell so far is that Blair is the starter. Vasko is off to a great start with a team leading 12 points. Senior Isbell and Junior Dobson don’t get much commentary but they are key to this team’s success. The D is young - no seniors that get substantial minutes. Look to Thiessen and Marmen to lead the D corps and see which other defenders emerge as go to players.

Excited to cheer for this crew as always.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 10-24-2019, 09:24 PM.

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Lakers are currently 4-1–1 and receiving votes in the polls. Really exciting weekend this weekend as Hurst hosts the first ever Ice Breaker tournament in Buffalo at Harbor Center. Teams playing are Hurst vs UMD, and UConn vs Colgate, and then a second game based on the results of the first.

Great event for the players to make it to HarborCenter and exciting to watch teams play each other who don’t usually do so. In 20 years Hurst has played UMD 6 times, UConn 10 times and Colgate 30+ times.

I won’t be able to watch much this year, but wanted a general thread on here for the Lakers as I still follow generally, and appreciate all the commentary on various teams here.

Gist out of Erie as far as I can tell so far is that Blair is the starter. Vasko is off to a great start with a team leading 12 points. Senior Isbell and Junior Dobson don’t get much commentary but they are key to this team’s success. The D is young - no seniors that get substantial minutes. Look to Thiessen and Marmen to lead the D corps and see which other defenders emerge as go to players.

Excited to cheer for this crew as always.
    Are these games televised anywhere?

Comment

Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Woohoo! I was wondering if you were going to cover Mercyhurst this season (and hoping you would).

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Woohoo! I was wondering if you were going to cover Mercyhurst this season (and hoping you would).
        Happy to be “back”. I didn’t think there’d be much movement in CHA rankings this year, but RIT seems to have regressed, and Syracuse is having a heck of a tough start. Yes, strong opponents, but one wonders if there will be movement in the CHA rankings afterall, compared to last year. Good luck to Penn State this weekend vs BU. Another series to keep an eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
          Are these games televised anywhere?
          Streamed for a fee, but not televised as far as I know.

Comment

Streamed for a fee, but not televised as far as I know.
            Boxcast is the streaming company. Any report on the frosh Lindsay?

Comment

Lakers fell 4-1 to UMD. Lone Laker goal came from Sophomore Sarah Nelles on the pp, her second goal of the year. Looking at the box score Lakers outplayed UMD in the first, but gave up a last minute goal, to tie it at one going into the intermission. Final shots were 31-31 and UMD had an empty net goal. 36 minutes in penalties this game, hopefully today has more flow.

Lakers take on UConn today. UConn gave up 5 goals plus an empty net goal on 25 shots, in a loss to Colgate yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                Boxcast is the streaming company. Any report on the frosh Lindsay?
                I’ve only looked at boxscores, but Alexandria Weiss of Plover Wisconsin is a freshman defender who seems to be getting ice time, and has 2 goals thus far.

Jenna Silvonen is a Finnish National team goalie who hopefully has a promising college career ahead of her. She’s played 1 period, with 4 saves and 0 goals against.

Comment

I’ve only looked at boxscores, but Alexandria Weiss of Plover Wisconsin is a freshman defender who seems to be getting ice time, and has 2 goals thus far.

Jenna Silvonen is a Finnish National team goalie who hopefully has a promising college career ahead of her. She’s played 1 period, with 4 saves and 0 goals against.
                  Vasko, the Stoney Creek product, is putting up some big numbers. I'm not surprised.

Comment

https://victorypress.org/2019/10/29/...nesota-duluth/

Recap of the inaugural Ice Breaker Tournament, by Melissa Burgess of Victory Press. Includes quotes from Hurst, UMD and Colgate players.

Comment

https://www.spreaker.com/user/116353...side-cha-bonus

And here’s a 5 minute q and a with Alexa Vasko of Mercyhurst. Atlantic Hockey has a podcast I guess, and this is the first bonus episode with a CHA player. Hopefully they do more of these, I enjoyed this.

There’s also a comment on Vicki Bendus in here, an alum that now works with Hockey Canada among other places.

Comment

Lakers playing their 2nd CHA series this weekend vs Lindenwood. Hopefully a winning weekend, the team off to a nice start 🏒

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                          Lakers playing their 2nd CHA series this weekend vs Lindenwood. Hopefully a winning weekend, the team off to a nice start 🏒
                          For sure. 3 CHA series going this weekend. In the fall Hurst vs Lindenwood series, I hope to see the Lakers get a sweep that has eluded them the past 2 seasons. There is no road trip for the Lakers to endure and Lindenwood was just at Clarkson last weekend so hopefully that gives Lakers an edge.

Lindenwood is coming off their worst loss of the season 7-0 to Clarkson. Curious to see who starts in net. Wolf was the starter for Lindenwood in the second half last year, but this year Asplundh has been playing, and it was Hennessy that came in for relief in last weeks blowout.

Goal scoring is a major challenge for Lindenwood, 11 goals in 8 games, but they appear to be working hard for Looney and defensively will put up a fight that the Lakers are going to have to persevere through.

To wrap up last weekend - The Lakers moved to 5-2-1 with a 3-1 win over UConn. Goals came from Nuutinen, Dobson, and sophomore Liliane Perreault. Game was tied until mid of the third when Lakers took the lead. Freshman Aubrey Cole got her first collegiate point, an assist.

Comment

Lindenwood is coming off their worst loss of the season 7-0 to Clarkson. Curious to see who starts in net. Wolf was the starter for Lindenwood in the second half last year, but this year Asplundh has been playing, and it was Hennessy that came in for relief in last weeks blowout.
                            When my brain thinks "Lindenwood goaltender" and then sees a combination of letters something like this, it automatically reads it as "Hensley".
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              When my brain thinks "Lindenwood goaltender" and then sees a combination of letters something like this, it automatically reads it as "Hensley".
                              Hahahaha...that was exactly my first thought when I read it: "How did she get back onto the Lindenwood team?".

Comment

Working...
                              X