X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    The Henry Lee Lucas Docu-Series on Netflix is crazy interesting
    You really couldn’t make that entire story up, pun intended.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Watchmen stuck the landing. That's how you write an ending.
      I had the day off so I binged watchman....wow.

Comment

• Re: TV: A Succession of Watchmen in The Good Place

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Watchmen stuck the landing. That's how you write an ending.
        I'm thinking about it. I wasn't disappointed anyway.

Moore must be going insane and that alone is worth something.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I'm thinking about it. I wasn't disappointed anyway.

Moore must be going insane and that alone is worth something.
          Coming from you that's good enough for me.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            I had the day off so I binged watchman....wow.
            Yeah. It was great, right?
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Yeah. It was great, right?
              It was great. And I knew nothing about the graphic novel.
              Ending was great, I’d put it up there close to Leftovers finale

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I am through 4 episodes of the final season of Mr. Robot...what the heck am I watching? I mean it is blatantly obvious whatever story they came up with wasnt long enough to take up a whole season but the filler crap is so boring! Almost none of the stories (even the main one) are interesting anymore. Unless they really improve the last half of the season (which they have done before) this is going to go down as one colossal crapping of the bed. The navel gazing and long scenes of dialogue only work if the story is engaging and right now it isnt.
                Binged the entire season this past week to get ready for the finale next week and I have to disagree, I thought the early episodes were great. Of course, I had the choice to immediately go onto the next episode, maybe I would’ve felt the same as you if I had to wait week to week.

Hard to believe everything will be wrapped up in just two hours, but Esmail said the entire story was originally supposed to be a movie, so I’m sure he’ll make it work.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The Henry Lee Lucas Docu-Series on Netflix is crazy interesting
                  I had to look up who that was. That he goes by 3 names should have clued me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    From Wikipedia:

On January 11, 1960, in Tecumseh, Michigan, Lucas killed his mother during an argument regarding whether or not he should return home to her house to care for her as she grew older. He claimed she struck him over the head with a broom, at which point he stabbed her in the neck.
                    He resolved the issue. I don't see the problem.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I had a friend many years ago who said, "if your middle name is Ray, Lee or Bob, there is about an 84% chance you will spend time in prison."

The Netflix show is pretty fascinating, although it doesn't really rise to the level of Making a Murderer. I did want to know a little more about the part of the story dealing with the prosecution of the DA from Waco. Something in that part of the documentary just didn't seem to ring entirely true to me. It probably felt more incomplete than anything.

I have no doubt the feds and the Texas Rangers might conspire to take down someone who is looking to expose their bad conduct, but I really found it hard to believe the feds could find a dozen attorneys down there who were willing to come in and basically commit professional suicide by admitting to payment of bribes to the prosecutor in exchange for lenient treatment of their clients, just because the feds were threatening to look into their taxes. That doesn't make any sense.

The Texas judicial system has long been rife with concerns about substantial financial support paid by lawyers to judges for their re-election campaigns, and I assume the same is true for District Attorneys. I suspect they were able to prove a lot of financial payments to the DA from attorneys as campaign contributions, and tried to connect the dots to show that they were direct bribes in exchange for specific cases, but weren't able to prove it to the jury.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I had a friend many years ago who said, "if your middle name is Ray, Lee or Bob, there is about an 84% chance you will spend time in prison."
                        Isn't that every white male in the Midwest?
                        Cornell University

Comment

For the upper midwest, I would say "no." I would be hard pressed to think of anyone I know who qualifies, although I'm sure there are many "Roberts." Now, go south of Kansas City...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Don’t you mean the south? I’ve never heard of a Midwest person with a name like that

Comment

I know some Bob's, but no Ray's or Lee's.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Don’t you mean the south? I’ve never heard of a Midwest person with a name like that
                                Interestingly there are not a lot of three namers in the South anymore, unless you count KY and WV as "the South." Girls are named for their budding stripper careers. Boys are named after firearms.

You mostly get three namers when a big family wants to hammer every relative into their brats' names. If you have five brothers it takes three two-namer boys to get every first name into the permutations.

True story: my best friend from high school went to Penn with a guy from an Olde Money Virginia family (the actual Lees) who was a five namer. He signed all formal correspondence with all five cuz he could. Nice kid. If you wonder what Light-Horse Harry Lee's great-great-great-great-great-great-grand daughter (his mom) is doing, she owns Anthem or Aetna or one of those companies. Money never sleeps.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 12-17-2019, 09:59 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X