X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: A Succession of Watchmen in The Good Place

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I love punk rock so obviously I don't need everything to be cerebral.

BTW I haven't watched the Bachelor in ten years now. My guilty pleasure now is computer games. That's where I get my zen downtime.

A show is "too clever" only if it has nothing to say. Community is a great example of a show whose meta-meta-meta cleverness worked exactly because it had things to say. c.f Atlanta, Gary Shandling, Fargo, BoJack.
    No it didnt...well sometimes it did...but no the clever for clever sake stuff got old fast. Meta isnt clever anymore, in fact it is almost cliche and they definitely cliched it out after about season 3. The last season and a half was completely unwatchable. (I hate watched it but I couldnt even binge it I hated it so much so it took forever)

Shandling did it better, because Shandling is arguably the most unique comic mind of the last 40 years. Harmon is great, but he couldnt hold Shandling's jock.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      No it didnt...well sometimes it did...but no the clever for clever sake stuff got old fast. Meta isnt clever anymore, in fact it is almost cliche and they definitely cliched it out after about season 3. The last season and a half was completely unwatchable. (I hate watched it but I couldnt even binge it I hated it so much so it took forever)

Shandling did it better, because Shandling is arguably the most unique comic mind of the last 40 years. Harmon is great, but he couldnt hold Shandling's jock.
      Harmon is great.

The last season sucked because he wasn't there.

We get it, meta makes you angry. Irony and violence make me angry. You have 3 or 4 shows and movies to complain about a year. I have 96% of American popular culture to avoid. You'll live.
      Last edited by Kepler; 05-08-2020, 12:26 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No you don't get it. I like meta. I don't like it when it is all you have. Meta is good in brevity. It is why Abed went from my favorite character to the character I wanted to die.

Just because something is meta doesn't make it clever. Sooner or later you need something else or you are just as lame as the stuff you are mocking.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I found with Amazon Prime I can binge old shows like House, Psych, Burn Notice, and Monk.

And yet, I have a whole bunch of papers to write...
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

No you don't get it. I like meta. I don't like it when it is all you have. Meta is good in brevity. It is why Abed went from my favorite character to the character I wanted to die.

Just because something is meta doesn't make it clever. Sooner or later you need something else or you are just as lame as the stuff you are mocking.
            Meta is like condiments or seasoning for a burger/steak. It enhances, but does not take over, the flavor.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Patton Oswalt's "Star Wars filibuster" in a 2013 episode of Parks & Recreation proves to be prophetic, Boba Fett is a character in season two of The Mandalorian. Will be played by Temuera Morrison, which makes sense seeming he played the clones in the prequels.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                I found with Amazon Prime I can binge old shows like House, Psych, Burn Notice, and Monk.

And yet, I have a whole bunch of papers to write...
                Oooooh Burn Notice. I really liked that show. Hey...wasn’t Psych supposed to come back somehow? Another movie? Or James and Dule introducing old episodes or something? I vaguely recall seeing a commercial with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Oooooh Burn Notice. I really liked that show. Hey...wasn’t Psych supposed to come back somehow? Another movie? Or James and Dule introducing old episodes or something? I vaguely recall seeing a commercial with them.
                  They reran seasons 1-8 in April.

I missed that (studies), so I plan on catching up as much as I can via Prime (when I'm not studying).
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Showtime is free on Comcast again until the 17th. FYI.

Or at least billions is
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Psych has their second movie coming out this year. They also had a binge-a-thon where they had Zoom reunions during the commercial breaks.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Showtime is free on Comcast again until the 17th. FYI.

Or at least billions is
                        Suggest you binge the hell out of it!
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          They reran seasons 1-8 in April.

I missed that (studies), so I plan on catching up as much as I can via Prime (when I'm not studying).
                          Psych has their second movie coming out this year. They also had a binge-a-thon where they had Zoom reunions during the commercial breaks.
                          Oh man, how did I miss that??? I blame you guys for not posting a lot about it while it was happening thereby reminding me it was on.

Comment

Oh man, how did I miss that??? I blame you guys for not posting a lot about it while it was happening thereby reminding me it was on.
                            Handy, we messed up. We should have posted about that more often.

Meanwhile, I'm bribing myself with Psych to get work done. Write 2 pages. Psych. Write 2 pages. Psych. And so on.

Comment

I dvred it
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Suggest you binge the hell out of it!
                                I got cut off halfway through season 2.

I do an episode a night most free nights. Maybe two if Mrs. 316 is working.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X