Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Highly disappointing performance tonight with first place on the line. Nothing was in sync.
    Neither of our teams looked like they did the night before. The Gophers went from really REALLY bad to very average, just enough to hang in there and pull out a road win. Despite still making way too many careless mistakes, our team's effort and compete level was enough to prevent suffering a sweep. It might have been the most physical the Gophers have been all season, which was necessary in order to match what your club was dishing out.

Meanwhile the Spartans just didn't have what they're capable of tonight. It was obvious right away that they just weren't clicking like they were the night before. They still won most of the physical battles, but this time the Gophers didn't shy away from contact. I thought the referees were fair to both teams, letting them play those battles out.

Good luck the rest of the way, except when you visit Minneapolis on February 7th and 8th!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      The Gophers were astonishingly punchless last night. I don’t believe that was a typical performance from the Gophers, but MSU has proven to be pretty rock solid by now. 7 shots on goal through 40 minutes for the Gophers might be the lowest I have ever seen for any team.
      Sadly that was a pretty typical Friday night effort for them. Can't say I blame your coach for tearing out his hair in the third period of that game because the Gophers had shown literally nothing up until that point and MSU should've taken the opportunity to put them away rather than just hanging onto the lead it had. Didn't see any of the game Saturday.

Anyhow it's good to see MSU becoming a better team because hopefully that means one less boring in conference matchup

Comment

Huh, first place. How about that.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well, first place was fleeting. Tough to let another one get away like that.

Currently 16th in the Pairwise. Unless Minnesota St wins the WCHA bid, it looks like the final at large will be 14th at best.

Winning out would put MSU at 6th independent of other results. Continuing this trend of splits will keep things static at 16.

That Tech game continues to be a thorn in the side. Still worth four spots. As is the Minnesota loss.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I said earlier in the thread that MSU would go as far as Lethemon takes them (with props to the defense), and that's now more true than ever. It would be a shame to let a Hobie Baker-nominated level performance go to waste because we can't achieve consistent scoring, but that's the recurring theme of all the split series. I'm not optimistic that we have what it takes to make the PW cut-off, but I'd love the boys to prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Well, first place was fleeting. Tough to let another one get away like that.

Currently 16th in the Pairwise. Unless Minnesota St wins the WCHA bid, it looks like the final at large will be 14th at best.

Winning out would put MSU at 6th independent of other results. Continuing this trend of splits will keep things static at 16.

That Tech game continues to be a thorn in the side. Still worth four spots. As is the Minnesota loss.
              It’s a bummer to be splitting the last few weekends but I don’t believe too much separates any of those teams. We may have a slightly better record, but much hinges on Lethemon. The team in front of him is solid but unlikely to run through anyone.

I gotta say that a split this weekend would be nice. Obviously a sweep would be great but that’s a pretty tall order.

Comment

So there’s ads everywhere, now? At least they make it look like we’re the ones posting them😒

Comment

Back in first.

Just to show how lean some of these years have been offensively, there have been nine players to get 50 career goals since 2000. I believe I heard Lerg was the last one, and he was the only Comley recruit I could remember. The rest were Mason guys from the early 2000s.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Tim Crowder was the last one.

Very happy for the win, but I don’t believe I’ve seen a team worse at scoring into an empty net.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                      Tim Crowder was the last one.

Very happy for the win, but I don’t believe I’ve seen a team worse at scoring into an empty net.
                      And I neglected to mention that Khodorenko getting #50 (and 51 and 52) last night was the reason for bringing up that fact.

The funny thing is Hirose, despite his prolific point scoring, may not have made it. He would've needed 17 this year, which would've been two more than his career high. He probably had the best wrister on the team, but he loved to pass the puck.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Biggest win of the season last night, and tonight would be even bigger.
                        Second period got squirrely but the 1st and 3rd were dimes.

Would Lethemon’s performance to date rank among all time great MSU goalies? Especially considering past contenders probably had stronger teams in front of them.

Comment

Tough one tonight. Unlike the Minnesota game they played well and had plenty of chances. Just left too many on the doorstep. Of course, PSU hit about four posts so they had their fair share of bad luck as well.

Fortunately Minnesota is taking care of OSU. Unfortunately tonight's result means it's a tie for first rather than a five point lead if Minnesota hangs on. Even more unfortunately, at this moment the Pairwise ranking is now 17th, though RPI can be fickle so we'll see once all the games for tonight are finally in the books.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I feel like I've seen this show before. Grinding MSU team seems to run out of gas on the back-end of a series. Still, I'm impressed with how they shut down PSU's prolific scorers over the entire series (albeit they were missing one in Biro). Definitely trending in the right direction and something to build upon. Now let's see where they can take this.

Comment

Very disappointing result last night but not due to the team’s performance. The guys played extremely hard and probably a more complete game than Friday night but Jones was stellar in net for PSU.

We dropped to 19th in PWR this weekend. We’re gonna need some sweeps to finish out the year because going .500 the rest of the way is apparently not gonna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                                Very disappointing result last night but not due to the team’s performance. The guys played extremely hard and probably a more complete game than Friday night but Jones was stellar in net for PSU.

We dropped to 19th in PWR this weekend. We’re gonna need some sweeps to finish out the year because going .500 the rest of the way is apparently not gonna do it.
                                Certainly a tale of two contrasting games. State lost more puck battles than won on Friday - and thus the shot disparity (PSU had 80+ total shots). But Jones was fairly brutal - zero rebound control and couldn't seem to make a clean save. We just needed a couple more guys to the net and that thing would have been well out of reach. Saturday was maybe our best defensive performance of the year, and maybe the best 200-foot game of the season as well. Great forecheck and puck control in the third ... but Jones was just good enough. He got hot, survived a furious barrage near the end - and anything can happen and did in OT.
                                Last edited by owslachief; 01-26-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X