Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Poorly officiated game or compensating for being outplayed? Or both? Now that Cornell presumably has their bus legs back under them (well, other than the goal-scoring Russian who got to fly), we'll see if the Spartans can apply the lessons learned yesterday and improve upon a good performance. Time for a statement game from DeRidder.
    I’d lean towards the first as most of our penalties came in the first period when Cornell was noticeably disjointed. Even strength they were on their heels and our parade to the box bailed them out. They definitely got their legs and timing under them by the third period, though.

But we can’t blame the refs as we had a good number of powerplays of our own. A few of our penalties were definitely of the dumb and selfish variety, as well.

Nevertheless, I think we were much better than either of the exhibitions I witnessed in person. As long as we don’t take a step back tonight I think this will be a weekend to continue building upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

Nevertheless, I think we were much better than either of the exhibitions I witnessed in person. As long as we don’t take a step back tonight I think this will be a weekend to continue building upon.
      Well I’d say getting the wheels beaten off of us counts as taking a step back.

Cornell is good. We’re not on their level so hopefully that 5 ranking is accurate.

Comment

Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
        Well I’d say getting the wheels beaten off of us counts as taking a step back.

Cornell is good. We’re not on their level so hopefully that 5 ranking is accurate.
        Yeah, you beat me to it. I guess I jinxed things because Cornell certainly got much stronger the further removed from the long bus ride, and DeRidder definitely didn't make any statement with that performance. Time to regroup and beat those teams that are at our level.

Comment

This team is in deep trouble if discipline issues continue. Small sample size, but once again we're in the bottom 10 of the PK. And when matched with six penalties a game, that's not a good combination.

Credit to Cornell for placing the puck where they did, but there's no excuse for a wrist shot from the blue line to make its way into the net, nor their (I think) final goal that went top corner with zero angle. Lethemon needs to cut that off.

On the plus side, the PK continues to look good. Unfortunately that was the only way we scored this weekend.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            This team is in deep trouble if discipline issues continue. Small sample size, but once again we're in the bottom 10 of the PK. And when matched with six penalties a game, that's not a good combination.

Credit to Cornell for placing the puck where they did, but there's no excuse for a wrist shot from the blue line to make its way into the net, nor their (I think) final goal that went top corner with zero angle. Lethemon needs to cut that off.

On the plus side, the PK continues to look good. Unfortunately that was the only way we scored this weekend.
            I had that thought after 3 straight penalties in the last 10 minutes put away any aspirations of making the game even slightly exciting. We gotta be close to the most penalized team in the country subtracting out any other teams’ line brawl shenanigans if they happened.

The Krygiers are pretty bad about this. Fortunately, I do feel their play on the ice has taken a step forward this season. They gotta get those roughing and elbowing penalties under control.

Note: I’m not sure if one is worse than the other so I’m lumping them in as one.

Comment

They definitely call that “goaltending.”

Comment

I know Cole likes to split weekend starters, but I think you have to go with Lethemon again tonight. He's at .972 in starts if you take out the NMU game, which would be #1 in the country.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I know Cole likes to split weekend starters, but I think you have to go with Lethemon again tonight. He's at .972 in starts if you take out the NMU game, which would be #1 in the country.
                  I totally agree, I think you stay with the hot hand in Lethemon. But I'll be very surprised if Cole doesn't give the nod to DeRidder.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                    I totally agree, I think you stay with the hot hand in Lethemon. But I'll be very surprised if Cole doesn't give the nod to DeRidder.
                    Lethemon is starting, would be silly if he wasn't

Comment

Well 6 goals given up to PSU total on the weekend isn’t bad!

For real, though, it sounds like we actually played a pretty good game last night. PSU just got all of their puck luck in a single night instead of spreading it over 2 games. I only listened to the 3rd period due to watching that absolutely catastrophic football game but it’s hard to find much to complain about. 5 goals in Lethemon isn’t great but like I said earlier, it sounds like PSU got a few nice bounces around the net that went our way Friday.

Powerplay produced again. It took me a little while to come around but I think we have a capable team this season. Capable enough to climb out of the B1G basement, at least.

Comment

Good start to the weekend last night. Men, women, and hockey all came up with big road wins.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Good start to the weekend last night. Men, women, and hockey all came up with big road wins.
                          I thought we played excellent the last 30 minutes or so. It felt like we flipped a switch once UM took that 3-1 lead.

My body is ready for a sweep. We’’d be 3-1 in BiG play which would almost certainly be our best start. Hell, even if we lose, 2-2 might still be our best start.

Comment

Powerplay also looked great. 1 for 2 with 8 shots on goal. The first few weeks were rough so it is a big positive that we can still get it done on the PP without Hirose running it.
                            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

PP is going to the be the biggest asset to this team. Looks like it’s accounted for half the goals going back to the Cornell series.

It’s a good thing the PK faced a struggling Michigan PP, because once again there were some incredibly careless and undisciplined penalties. You just can’t be going to the box for a retaliatory slash or cross checking a guy who’s already down and out of the play.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

There have been quite a few 1-0-1 weekends, but it looks to be almost ten years to the day since the last sweep of Michigan. November 13-14 of 2009 was the last one. Also the same year as the last GLI title.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X