Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

The odds are long, but I believe there are still some ways to win the conference.

MSU:
    1) Wins out, finishes with 40 points and 13 wins

ND:
    1) Wins tonight at UM, gets swept next week vs MSU. Finishes with 35 points and 9 wins.
    2) Wins in SO tonight at UM, gets swept next week vs MSU. Finishes with 34 points and 8 wins.

Penn State:
    1) Wins in SO tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 40 points and 11 wins.
    2) Loses in SO tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 39 points and 11 wins.
    3) Loses in regulation tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 38 points and 11 wins.

Ohio State:
    1) Loses tonight. Have Wisconsin next week, but even a sweep only gets them to 40 points and 12 wins, which loses them the tiebreaker. Finish anywhere from 34 points and 10 wins to 40 points and 12 wins.

Michigan and Minnesota get tricky. A lot of what happens next week is dependent on tonight, but the basic outlook is:
    1) The easiest one is that Minnesota beats Penn State tonight, Michigan loses tonight, and then Michigan sweeps next week. That would leave Minnesota at 40 with 10 wins and Michigan at 39 with 12 wins.
    2) If Minnesota wins in a SO, Michigan needs to take 5 of 6 next week, which means they can only get two points tonight. Leaves both with 40 points and under 13 wins.
    3) If Minnesota loses in a SO, Michigan needs to take 4 of 6 next week, which means they could win in regulation tonight. Leaves both with 40 points and less than 13 wins. In scenarios 2 and 3, if OSU also sweeps Wisconsin, it would actually create a 5-way Big Ten Championship.

The good news: MSU would win every tiebreaker and get the bye based on most Regulation/OT wins.
    The bad news: The odds aren't good given a heavy reliance on road teams, as well as only scoring two goals the last three games.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Blech. Half the team probably felt that way last night too, and for sure Lethemon, Lambdin and an asst coach. So they can be forgiven for looking underwhelming. Aside from a fluky and ugly goal, Deridder did his job. But I'm thinking this weekend will be pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        The odds are long, but I believe there are still some ways to win the conference.

MSU:
        1) Wins out, finishes with 40 points and 13 wins

ND:
        1) Wins tonight at UM, gets swept next week vs MSU. Finishes with 35 points and 9 wins.
        2) Wins in SO tonight at UM, gets swept next week vs MSU. Finishes with 34 points and 8 wins.

Penn State:
        1) Wins in SO tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 40 points and 11 wins.
        2) Loses in SO tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 39 points and 11 wins.
        3) Loses in regulation tonight vs Minnesota. Finishes with 38 points and 11 wins.

Ohio State:
        1) Loses tonight. Have Wisconsin next week, but even a sweep only gets them to 40 points and 12 wins, which loses them the tiebreaker. Finish anywhere from 34 points and 10 wins to 40 points and 12 wins.

Michigan and Minnesota get tricky. A lot of what happens next week is dependent on tonight, but the basic outlook is:
        1) The easiest one is that Minnesota beats Penn State tonight, Michigan loses tonight, and then Michigan sweeps next week. That would leave Minnesota at 40 with 10 wins and Michigan at 39 with 12 wins.
        2) If Minnesota wins in a SO, Michigan needs to take 5 of 6 next week, which means they can only get two points tonight. Leaves both with 40 points and under 13 wins.
        3) If Minnesota loses in a SO, Michigan needs to take 4 of 6 next week, which means they could win in regulation tonight. Leaves both with 40 points and less than 13 wins. In scenarios 2 and 3, if OSU also sweeps Wisconsin, it would actually create a 5-way Big Ten Championship.

The good news: MSU would win every tiebreaker and get the bye based on most Regulation/OT wins.
        The bad news: The odds aren't good given a heavy reliance on road teams, as well as only scoring two goals the last three games.
        Beautiful number-crunching. Maybe we're just saving goals for the last weekend push?

Comment

Tough one last night. Really the only late collapse I can think of this season. ND got a late goal back in November, but that game still ended in a tie.

There’s still home ice to play for. Take at least 5 against the Irish and Michigan takes at most 3 or 4 against Minnesota and I believe MSU wins the potential tiebreaker.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Tough one last night. Really the only late collapse I can think of this season. ND got a late goal back in November, but that game still ended in a tie.
            Honestly I was quite surprised on the late called penalty. It seemed to me that they were letting them play.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
              26 goals in 36 games as a dman? Believe me, I would've loved to have been wrong! But if he had those stats, he wouldn't have still been around for MSU to snap up as an OA college commit. Still, I like those assist totals which tells me he can probably run a PP.
              I about spit my coffee when I saw those numbers considering he’s in the USHL. Still, I agree. Looks like a good puck mover.

I had a function to attend and missed the game last night. Sad to miss the seniors’ last game, but that result would have been hard to swallow in person.

I don’t think we’ve ever been in a slump like this under Cole. With the exception of the Friday UM game, I don’t think we’re playing poorly.

Comment

Not sure where you get those goals stats, but 1 goal and 26 points in 36 games is true enough. Cole does well recruiting dmen, but I'd love to see some impact Fs.
                It’s hard to tell before they get to Campus, but I think our D recruiting is very bright. Forwards, I don’t think we’ll know until 2021. Papp looks solid but we need 2 or 3 Papps a year to keep up with the other B1G teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                  I about spit my coffee when I saw those numbers considering he’s in the USHL. Still, I agree. Looks like a good puck mover.

I had a function to attend and missed the game last night. Sad to miss the seniors’ last game, but that result would have been hard to swallow in person.

I don’t think we’ve ever been in a slump like this under Cole. With the exception of the Friday UM game, I don’t think we’re playing poorly.
                  I agree Michiigan State didn't play poorly on Saturday. They were healthier and it showed. But despite getting some good pressure on Nappier in the last 2 periods they needed to play mistake-free in the third. The gap between OSU and MSU is still obvious. So that tripping transgression couldn't have come at a worse time - right on the heels of a late game-tying goal with OSU feeling pretty good about themselves.

Comment

I barely noticed that Stachowiak has already played 5 games for a German DEL hockey club - some ERC Ingolstadt. He ain't coming back b/c it's a pro league. Showed some promise as a Spartan in his first handful of games but I guess he hit his D1 ceiling, or his enthusiasm ceiling here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      I barely noticed that Stachowiak has already played 5 games for a German DEL hockey club - some ERC Ingolstadt. He ain't coming back b/c it's a pro league. Showed some promise as a Spartan in his first handful of games but I guess he hit his D1 ceiling, or his enthusiasm ceiling here.
                      See my post #143 where it mentions the DEL. Yeah, Stachowiak was never coming back. That's the problem with recruiting Euros, sometimes they just don't make the transition to the U.S., it happens. Makes me wonder about Muller too, quite frankly.

Comment

Off to Yost next weekend. Hopefully things play out more like November than February.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Glad to see Lambdin heat up vs. ND, but to have the top line held pointless over the series was the definition of disappointing. As you say, on to Yost.

Comment

See my post #143 where it mentions the DEL. Yeah, Stachowiak was never coming back. That's the problem with recruiting Euros, sometimes they just don't make the transition to the U.S., it happens. Makes me wonder about Muller too, quite frankly.
                            Disappointing. I found him to be an ideal 3rd line player. I’m not sure why he sat half the time but I’m not in the program. This leaves another open spot for a forward and we have only one committed. I do not know what Cole plans to do but if we lack 2020 options I’d rather just save the spots for future classes than fill up with mediocre players.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              Disappointing. I found him to be an ideal 3rd line player. I’m not sure why he sat half the time but I’m not in the program. This leaves another open spot for a forward and we have only one committed. I do not know what Cole plans to do but if we lack 2020 options I’d rather just save the spots for future classes than fill up with mediocre players.
                              None of us will ever know the real story on Stachowiak. However, if I were a betting mom, I would place bets that he simply struggled with the transition to the U.S. See below link re. a Merrimack recruit's reasoning for recently returning to Sweden from the USHL:

https://www.themackreport.com/news/f...tay-in-sweden/

I agree with you that if Cole is lacking 2020 F options, then best to stay with North American leagues (ideally USHL or BCHL) vs. Europe or underwhelming depth recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Off to Yost next weekend. Hopefully things play out more like November than February.
                                We decided to buy the Sunday game, and I suppose that decision was strategic. If they make it to Sunday, then they will have done something rare in the last bucket of seasons: win a post-season game! and the excitement builds to a fever-pitch. If the series doesn't make it to Sunday, c'est la vie. Either MSU did the unthinkable, or I can start musing about next season. Either way, the last two possibilities end in a refund.

Comment

Working...
                                X