Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Minnesota took five this weekend, keeping their hot streak going. PSU only split with Wisconsin, so barring a sweep next week that might’ve killed their title chances. I don’t see ND winning all four either, so I think their chance at first is done as well.

1. Penn State - vs Minn - 36 points/42 possible
    1. Minnesota - at PSU, vs UM - 36/48
    3. MSU - neutral UM, vs OSU, at ND - 31/46
    3. Ohio State - at MSU, vs UW - 31/43
    5. Michigan - neutral MSU, vs ND, at Minn - 30/45
    6. Notre Dame - at UM, vs MSU - 30/42
    7. Wisconsin - vs OSU - 20/26
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

How in the world is the UM/MSU game tonight not on BTN.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        How in the world is the UM/MSU game tonight not on BTN.
        The Detroit game is always on FSD. I think it has to do with being a 313/Olympia event, but that’s total speculation. Plus the Pistons and Wings are both off tonight.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Well it will be a serious battle this weekend between the Spartans and the Buckeyes with what's on the line.
          I posted this on Ohio State's thread

"Ohio State can finish first yet but to do so we MUST sweep the last 4 games AND
          Minnesota must lose 2 of it's last 4.
          Michigan must lose 1 of it's last 4.
          Penn State with the bye can only finish with a best of 42 points and with the scenario I just quoted all the others above us would finish with 42 points and we would finish with 43 points, correct?"

Now the interesting thing is with us both at 31 points if you plugged Michigan State into that quote instead of Ohio State the same would apply so both our hopes of a chance for the Big Ten regular season title rests on one of us sweeping the other!
          Now THAT should make for some good hockey this weekend wouldn't you agree?
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-17-2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            The Detroit game is always on FSD. I think it has to do with being a 313/Olympia event, but that’s total speculation. Plus the Pistons and Wings are both off tonight.
            I thought it was a venue thing too at first but believe they simply wanted women's basketball over hockey instead. Fox Sports Detroit usually carries the wings games at Little Caesars and that's who had last nights game along with it's affiliates but BTN is owned by Fox Sports, at least 51% of it so there was no contract conflict on broadcasting from that venue.

Comment

Well the season sure took a turn over the long weekend.

I will grant that UM has remained pistol-hot in 2020, and that at the moment Mann is the best goalie in the league. I will also say that for the most part MSU, aside from what happened in the crease, was equal to Michigan's compete level on Monday. Captain Obvious and I agree we just don't have enough goalscorers. MSU's level of desperation was evident. Pressure is not their best friend.

Are we looking at a watershed moment for Spartan hockey? Or is this a case of baby steps (2 steps up, one step back)? Scary to consider that I'm already looking to next season, which when taking into account the number of seniors we're losing (and perhaps more) doesn't exactly hold promise. On the other hand, the formula DC put in place was enough to exceed most experts' expectations so far. The Spartan identity on the ice continues to improve year to year.

Comment

What I came away from the UM series is that we’ve got ourselves a real coaching staff that can coach a team up; get them to compete; make the tough decisions; say the right thing, etc. Cole’s a good in-game coach, and Exter can take credit for Lethemon’s transformation (Mann’s surpassing him notwithstanding). It goes without saying, a 180 degree turn from where we were 3 years ago.

That having been said, recruiting and development are where the rubber meets the road. For every flip/recruiting win Cole’s had (Cesana; the Krygier twins), it’s still a work in progress that needs some time. So in that regard, I’d agree with the two steps forward, one step back analogy. This season has exceeded my league bottom-dweller expectations, even with this past long weekend’s outcome. True, next season isn’t exactly shaping up to be a continuation of the upward trajectory, but I’m going to give Cole the benefit of the doubt because he’s earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  Well the season sure took a turn over the long weekend.

I will grant that UM has remained pistol-hot in 2020, and that at the moment Mann is the best goalie in the league. I will also say that for the most part MSU, aside from what happened in the crease, was equal to Michigan's compete level on Monday. Captain Obvious and I agree we just don't have enough goalscorers. MSU's level of desperation was evident. Pressure is not their best friend.

Are we looking at a watershed moment for Spartan hockey? Or is this a case of baby steps (2 steps up, one step back)? Scary to consider that I'm already looking to next season, which when taking into account the number of seniors we're losing (and perhaps more) doesn't exactly hold promise. On the other hand, the formula DC put in place was enough to exceed most experts' expectations so far. The Spartan identity on the ice continues to improve year to year.
                  At the end of the day, it comes down to offense. As good as Lethemon has been, as good as the PK has been (currently #20 after what felt like a decade in the bottom 10), look at the following splits:

12-2-0 when scoring 3 or more
                  2-13-1 when scoring 2 or less

This team had been getting by with one good performance a weekend, but it looks like they'll have to take at least 3/4 to guarantee home ice.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Last weekend was tough, in many ways. We’re still alive but it’s time to get a sweep, something we’ve failed to do for weeks. Hopefully we get some bounces and Lethemon returns to form.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      Last weekend was tough, in many ways. We’re still alive but it’s time to get a sweep, something we’ve failed to do for weeks. Hopefully we get some bounces and Lethemon returns to form.
                      As has been pointed out many a time in this thread, Lethemon is the key. He did not really inspire confidence on Monday. Hopefully MSU bottled whatever they brewed last time out in Columbus, but this time add some goals and come away with 6 points.

Comment

Some help to shore up a d-corps next season and scoring punch from the blue line, left-handed-shooting defenseman Nash Nienhuis of Omaha Lancers has committed for 2020-21 with his 26 goals in 36 games so far this season. MSU isn't just losing scoring and impact in their forward lines.
                        Last edited by owslachief; 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Some help to shore up a d-corps next season and scoring punch from the blue line, left-handed-shooting defenseman Nash Nienhuis of Omaha Lancers has committed for 2020-21 with his 26 goals in 36 games so far this season. MSU isn't just losing scoring and impact in their forward lines.
                          Not sure where you get those goals stats, but 1 goal and 26 points in 36 games is true enough. Cole does well recruiting dmen, but I'd love to see some impact Fs.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                            Not sure where you get those goals stats, but 1 goal and 26 points in 36 games is true enough. Cole does well recruiting dmen, but I'd love to see some impact Fs.
                            No I indeed read those numbers wrong . Thanks for the catch!

Comment

No I indeed read those numbers wrong . Thanks for the catch!
                              26 goals in 36 games as a dman? Believe me, I would've loved to have been wrong! But if he had those stats, he wouldn't have still been around for MSU to snap up as an OA college commit. Still, I like those assist totals which tells me he can probably run a PP.

Comment

BTW, our goaltender was seen at our aquatics center this week apparently practicing his diving.
                                I STILL can't believe they called that last season against you guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X