Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Very disappointing result last night but not due to the team’s performance. The guys played extremely hard and probably a more complete game than Friday night but Jones was stellar in net for PSU.

We dropped to 19th in PWR this weekend. We’re gonna need some sweeps to finish out the year because going .500 the rest of the way is apparently not gonna do it.
    Now at 18th after Quinnipiac lost yesterday. Looks like the loss on Saturday cost five spots.

Winning out puts MSU at 6th. Splitting the rest of the way loses a spot and drops down to 19th.

It’s a tough task with OSU coming in and UM heating up, but with home losses carrying more weight, it looks like 3-0 to finish the regular season at Munn is a necessity. Or, at the very least, going 3/4 against those two while splitting on the road against Minnesota and ND.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Now at 18th after Quinnipiac lost yesterday. Looks like the loss on Saturday cost five spots.

Winning out puts MSU at 6th. Splitting the rest of the way loses a spot and drops down to 19th.

It’s a tough task with OSU coming in and UM heating up, but with home losses carrying more weight, it looks like 3-0 to finish the regular season at Munn is a necessity. Or, at the very least, going 3/4 against those two while splitting on the road against Minnesota and ND.
      Lots of tough games coming up, but winning the Big Ten playoffs is also a possibility this year. The way Lethemon is playing gives MSU a real chance for the first time in many years.

Comment

January 31, Feb 1: MSU vs. nobody

Spartan hockey can best use this weekend off to most importantly work on [?].

It seems most phases of their game are in good form. What's a weak point on this last day of January?
        * Put the puck in the net?
        * Offensive zone turnovers?
        * Zone entry?
        * Give the backup goaltenders some serious reps?
        * Shoot-out moves?

Comment

Offense...we need to get our second line and powerplay scoring more. Defense is good enough to win the conference. The offense doesn’t look like it will score enough to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
            Offense...we need to get our second line and powerplay scoring more. Defense is good enough to win the conference. The offense doesn’t look like it will score enough to make it happen.
            It's got to be this, this is the only legitimate answer. I've been harping on the scoring inconsistency all season, and asking the offense to prove me wrong. Time to step up, boys!
            Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 01-31-2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately the bye week was not friendly. Fell down to 21st in the Pairwise. .500 certainly won't cut it anymore.

And suddenly the Big Ten became a five team race. Probably six given the run Michigan has had the last three weeks.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Any news on the recruiting trail? Losing a lot of seniors this year...

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                  Any news on the recruiting trail? Losing a lot of seniors this year...
                  I'm not aware of any new NLI signings for next season since what's been mentioned previously in this thread: 1G (Pierce Charleson); 2 Fs (Kristoff Papp and supposedly Kyle Haskins); and 2 D (Aiden Gallacher and Cal Dybicz). Remember that 2 of the graduating dmen don't ever play, so we're not losing as many impact players as it seems. That having been said, they do need at least one more D so I'm thinking they sign Powell Connor who's doing pretty well in the BCHL.
                  Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 02-05-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                    I'm not aware of any new NLI signings for next season since what's been mentioned previously in this thread: 1G (Pierce Charleson); 2 Fs (Kristoff Papp and supposedly Kyle Haskins); and 2 D (Aiden Gallacher and Cal Dybicz). Remember that 2 of the graduating dmen don't ever play, so we're not losing as many impact players as it seems. That having been said, they do need at least one more D so I'm thinking they sign Powell Connor who's doing pretty well in the BCHL.
                    We will need a few more forwards, unless Cole is satisfied with putting in guys like Stachowiak and Smith every weekend and saving the spots for 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      We will need a few more forwards, unless Cole is satisfied with putting in guys like Stachowiak and Smith every weekend and saving the spots for 2021.
                      Yeah, that's a tough one. Of the most near-term Fs on Heisenberg, Kodsi decommitted in favor of Bentley (he was an Anastos commit, so no surprise there) and Knuble isn't exactly tearing it up in the USHL (I guess that's why UMich took a pass on him). I believe I saw a tweet yesterday suggesting the grad transfer market might have some interesting names, but that's usually a mixed bag. Europe? The NHL scouts seem to like Muller, although I'm not sure we've seen his full potential yet. In any event, Cole's definitely got his work cut out for him in the F category.

Comment

• Last night's game was a little bit ugly, from a Michigan State perspective. It did not seem that we were especially competitive. Goal scoring challenges continue, for sure, but defensively State didn't use the ice very well. You can't play the outer 10 feet like you do in NHL-sized rinks. Unless you've got top-to bottom talent who call the place home. Too many Gophers got space to operate, or left alone near the net. Goal #1 was an example of that. I noticed UM was content (at least early) to do a lot of extra skating around with the puck - to the point of settling to reset outside the blue line, and the end of MSU's shifts looked, well, exhausting. UM took added advantage of that with their forecheck and at times we looked plain overwhelmed. About the only thing done well was blocking shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Last night's game was a little bit ugly, from a Michigan State perspective. It did not seem that we were especially competitive. Goal scoring challenges continue, for sure, but defensively State didn't use the ice very well. You can't play the outer 10 feet like you do in NHL-sized rinks. Unless you've got top-to bottom talent who call the place home. Too many Gophers got space to operate, or left alone near the net. Goal #1 was an example of that. I noticed UM was content (at least early) to do a lot of extra skating around with the puck - to the point of settling to reset outside the blue line, and the end of MSU's shifts looked, well, exhausting. UM took added advantage of that with their forecheck and at times we looked plain overwhelmed. About the only thing done well was blocking shots.
                          Ohio State did the same thing two weeks ago up there.

Comment

Getting a split sure feels better when you win the 2nd game.

I’ll say that if we can finish out the season 4-2, we’ll be in a great spot.

Comment

With Michigan sweeping, six teams are now within two games of first. It was probably true coming into this past weekend as well, but for all intents and purposes, the playoffs start now.

PSU has 33 points, but only four games left. Their bye week is the final week of the season, so they've got two weeks to get a max of 12 points. They're fortunate in that one of those series is Wisconsin, but it is on the road. They end with Minnesota at home, who like Michigan, has been on quite on the hot streak to push themselves not just into Big Ten contention, but also NCAA. They can max at 45 points.

Then there is a log jam for second place. Currently it's MSU, OSU, and Minnesota all tied at 31 points.

MSU - 6 games remaining. Vs/neutral with UM, vs OSU, at ND. Max points is 49.
                              Minnesota - 6 games remaining. At ND, at PSU, vs UM. Max points is 49.
                              OSU - 4 games remaining. Their bye is this weekend. Then at MSU and end with Wisconsin at home. Max points is 43.

Notre Dame sits a game back of the 2nd place teams with 28 points. Vs Minnesota, at Michigan, vs MSU. Max points of 46.

Michigan has 27 points and a full slate of games left. At/neutral with MSU, vs Notre Dame, at Minnesota. Max points of 45.

Wisconsin only has four games remaining, but they're eliminated from championship contention and home ice as well. All they can do at this point is play spoiler. Max points of 29.

It's hard to say who has the best outlook for first. PSU and OSU both have Wisconsin left on the schedule, but they also have six fewer possible points remaining. Minnesota has to go on the road twice. MSU has to play red hot Michigan and OSU, the only team to sweep us this year.

Minnesota, ND, and PSU splitting with each other would help out a lot.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Hell of a Saturday comeback, Sparty.
                                Best of luck down the stretch.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X