Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    There have been quite a few 1-0-1 weekends, but it looks to be almost ten years to the day since the last sweep of Michigan. November 13-14 of 2009 was the last one. Also the same year as the last GLI title.
    Wow. I had no idea it had been so long. I guess it’s been longer than that since we’ve had anything better than a mediocre-poor team.

But last night was a defensive and goaltending clinic, particularly in the third period. There were a couple stretches in the 2nd where Michigan started really pushing but Lethemon held strong. The penalty kill was perfect all weekend.

Where I think this team has made a noticeable stride is defensively as well as our D’s ability to control and move the puck. The lineup every night on Defense has been the same and they’ve been great from top to bottom. Rosberg and Cesana have been particularly fantastic in my opinion.

Comment

Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Please. Keep. Winning.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Please. Keep. Winning.
        You as well. MSU has the worst record in the top 15 of the Pairwise, held up in part because non-con opponents are something like 20-6-2.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

You as well. MSU has the worst record in the top 15 of the Pairwise, held up in part because non-con opponents are something like 20-6-2.
          Our schedule has indeed been very tough. Strong opponents and a lot of road games. It unfortunately doesn’t get any easier. Next is Notre Dame, who is not only excellent, but has had us absolutely snake bitten in recent years.

Sometimes I wish we could schedule more like PSU and rack up wins against tomato cans. I guess if you have a good team then the experience could pay off but in previous years it only seemed to set us behind in the W column.

Comment

Great series this past weekend. Having a more balanced scoring attack this year should hopefully result in a few more wins. I like our chances to finish in the top 4 in the Big Ten this year. Will be tough but I think this team has the parts to do it.

Also has anybody on here know of any commits signing? I have not seen anything official from the team yet but perhaps they are still figuring out who is going to sign this year..

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              Also has anybody on here know of any commits signing? I have not seen anything official from the team yet but perhaps they are still figuring out who is going to sign this year..
              I've seen nothing on the obvious suspect twitters (MSU Hockey; Neutral Zone scouting service; various junior league accounts). I imagine the coaching staff is going through a similar process as last season, when they kept everything pretty close to the vest. I do note from Heisenberg's list that we have no '99 birth year commits that would logically have to come in for 2020-21, so that's not illuminating. The only certainty is that it should be a larger class given 9 graduating seniors (including 2 goalies) and the small incoming class for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                I’ve seen two so far. Aiden Gallacher was posted last week on twitter and Kristof Papp yesterday on Instagram...I assume there will be 2-3 more now with the rest in the spring based on their performance this year.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                  I’ve seen two so far. Aiden Gallacher was posted last week on twitter and Kristof Papp yesterday on Instagram...I assume there will be 2-3 more now with the rest in the spring based on their performance this year.
                  Glad to see Papp sign. He’s had good production in the USHL so hopefully he has some much needed offensive ability.

As for who else we will take, I have no idea. We have way more “commits” than spots and half the time those players never even end up at MSU for one reason or another. Sometimes I feel like I don’t even hear about an incoming freshman until they’re all announced a few months before the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    Glad to see Papp sign. He’s had good production in the USHL so hopefully he has some much needed offensive ability.

As for who else we will take, I have no idea. We have way more “commits” than spots and half the time those players never even end up at MSU for one reason or another. Sometimes I feel like I don’t even hear about an incoming freshman until they’re all announced a few months before the season.
                    The Papp signing is encouraging because his production is on a very challenged team. When looking at other logical adds, it appears we have a wealth of dmen which is good since we're losing a minimum of 4 (only 2 of whom play, but you need to plan for injuries). And Gallacher looks to be more than ready, so that signing also bodes well. You could also say that about Powell Connor. That having been said, the F pipeline for next season is a bit underwhelming. Work to be done there.
                    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 11-20-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Oh wow, look at this. Right on cue :
                      https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/11...r-2020-21.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                        Oh wow, look at this. Right on cue :
                        https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/11...r-2020-21.aspx
                        All seem like relatively good additions. I assume more are to come in the future with all the seniors graduating.

Big weekend coming up. I hope this team is good enough to take at least 3 points at home from a very good ND team.

Comment

Well, ND is still ND. Definitely one of the toughest teams to play against in the country. They’re just so rock solid everywhere and never seem to make mistakes.

But still, we were so close to that sweet W. I thought we played marvelous defense the entire 3rd period and that tying goal really took the wind out of us. Felt like we had to desperately hang on to get to the 2nd OT and secure a point. If we get any points tomorrow I will consider this weekend a grand success.

Great game again by Lethemon. He’s a beauty.
                          Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-22-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Given the quick ND goal, and then literally not having offense for the first 13 minutes of the 3rd, that was not the result I expected. Especially against Notre Dame, who I think are just the college version of the 90s Devils.

I'm still not sure how Lambdin scored the second goal. I didn't think it was possible to snipe Morris. And this team must've gotten pelted with pucks all summer practicing tips in front of the net. They were trying last year with some success, but now it's a legit threat.

Biggest con of the night was the PP. Would've been better off declining penalties tonight. There are inept PPs, but tonight was a case of a team somehow getting better on defense during the PK. Don't get how it happens, but it made for an ugly four minutes of gameplay.

But, no reason to be negative tonight. 90 seconds from a sweep, and took 4/6 from the #3 team in the country, and 3rd in the Big Ten, with the most points of any team with six games played in conference. Somehow sweep next week and MSU will find themselves in first place.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Given the quick ND goal, and then literally not having offense for the first 13 minutes of the 3rd, that was not the result I expected. Especially against Notre Dame, who I think are just the college version of the 90s Devils.

I'm still not sure how Lambdin scored the second goal. I didn't think it was possible to snipe Morris. And this team must've gotten pelted with pucks all summer practicing tips in front of the net. They were trying last year with some success, but now it's a legit threat.

Biggest con of the night was the PP. Would've been better off declining penalties tonight. There are inept PPs, but tonight was a case of a team somehow getting better on defense during the PK. Don't get how it happens, but it made for an ugly four minutes of gameplay.

But, no reason to be negative tonight. 90 seconds from a sweep, and took 4/6 from the #3 team in the country, and 3rd in the Big Ten, with the most points of any team with six games played in conference. Somehow sweep next week and MSU will find themselves in first place.
                              Biggest regular season win since ? (Come-from behind style). Amazing how one guy's skate n score can energize a team to that degree.

Ok Spartans, now you REALLY have my attention.
                              Last edited by owslachief; 11-24-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                                Biggest regular season win since ? (Come-from behind style). Amazing how one guy's skate n score can energize a team to that degree.

Ok Spartans, now you REALLY have my attention.
                                I thought the sweep at Cornell last year was going to be a jump start, but things kind of unraveled after that.

That crazy OSU comeback last year ended in a 7-7 tie (with a 3x3 win), but that was the most electric I’ve seen Munn sans Michigan games. Since there were only about 3k fans left after OSU went up 7-4, I don’t know if that per-fan energy will be matched again.

As far as biggest come from behind? I can’t remember too many. Quite honestly, the answer might be last week. Two down at Yost and still getting the W may have been the trigger this team needed.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X