Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

As 17's Fan said the Pony's were in Tom's face (and his Blue ice) much of the afternoon ... appeals from the bench didn't seem to convince the officials, and it became what it became.
    Tommy probably deserved a penalty but personally I thought it should have been no more than a minor.
    Bottom line, as Tommy and his defense continue to put up mind boggling numbers this is a tactic the Cadets are going to have to expect more and more ... the price of success.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
      As 17's Fan said the Pony's were in Tom's face (and his Blue ice) much of the afternoon ... appeals from the bench didn't seem to convince the officials, and it became what it became.
      Tommy probably deserved a penalty but personally I thought it should have been no more than a minor.
      Bottom line, as Tommy and his defense continue to put up mind boggling numbers this is a tactic the Cadets are going to have to expect more and more ... the price of success.
      The worst thing is if the opposition decides the Cadets can be provoked into retaliation, we will see that kind of nonsense a lot. That's the way a couple of programs have always played it.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        The worst thing is if the opposition decides the Cadets can be provoked into retaliation, we will see that kind of nonsense a lot. That's the way a couple of programs have always played it.
        I agree NU Prof, some things never change and teams that "gooned" it up years ago, continue to rear their ugly heads this season. It seems that Coach Ellsworth expects his players to deal with it, but not retaliate, much like McShane did during his tenure as coach. The players understand that eventually the late hits, dirty checks, etc, will be caught by the refs and result in a power play. I think the guys support and protect each other from letting things get out of hand. This discipline and support is another example of how Norwich does not "play down" to the opponents level. The team is held to higher standards, part of the Norwich Pride that Coach Ellsworth spoke of at the time of his hiring. I am sure the guys get frustrated and after pointing out the infractions, its hard to not lose your cool. But they work and support each other from the head coach down and always come out of the game with a positive result that isn't always as easy to see as the score board.
        There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
          I agree NU Prof, some things never change and teams that "gooned" it up years ago, continue to rear their ugly heads this season. It seems that Coach Ellsworth expects his players to deal with it, but not retaliate, much like McShane did during his tenure as coach. The players understand that eventually the late hits, dirty checks, etc, will be caught by the refs and result in a power play. I think the guys support and protect each other from letting things get out of hand. This discipline and support is another example of how Norwich does not "play down" to the opponents level. The team is held to higher standards, part of the Norwich Pride that Coach Ellsworth spoke of at the time of his hiring. I am sure the guys get frustrated and after pointing out the infractions, its hard to not lose your cool. But they work and support each other from the head coach down and always come out of the game with a positive result that isn't always as easy to see as the score board.
          This is one reason why I have always supported NU hockey. This approach to the game with integrity is what makes it special.

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post

This is much easier to do when you are winning...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
              This is much easier to do when you are winning...
              Just read the box score about the total shots on goal by Norwich at U Mass Boston game. 14 shots and 5 goals. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfe123 View Post
                Just read the box score about the total shots on goal by Norwich at U Mass Boston game. 14 shots and 5 goals. Is that correct?
                Yes. Norwich was outplayed for nearly the entire game. Timely scoring and capitalizing on some PP opportunities was difference.

It wasn't a pretty win...and Norwich paid a price with some serious bumps and bruises from a physical and relentless UMass Boston squad...but it's a win, an all important two points in NEHC play and a 7-0-0 start.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Yes. Norwich was outplayed for nearly the entire game. Timely scoring and capitalizing on some PP opportunities was difference.

It wasn't a pretty win...and Norwich paid a price with some serious bumps and bruises from a physical and relentless UMass Boston squad...but it's a win, an all important two points in NEHC play and a 7-0-0 start.
                  From my living room it look like a lot of UMB's play was over the line - this is the scenario I expect to see a lot. Teams are going to test the Cadets' resolve with some very physical play.

What was going on at the end with Norwich getting a 5 on 3? I saw the skirmish, but I had the sound off because I was involved with something else and didn't know what the penalties were, and the box score on colleghockeystats.net didn't show how a 5 x 3 would result.

Comment

Happy Turkey Day to all Norwich Fans! Hope the team beats the stuffing out of the opponents this weekend and wins the Prime Link Tourney. Looking forward to watching the games!
                    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Thanks for Your Input
                      I want to thank all you guys for your input. It keeps me better informed as I have no one to talk Norwich hockey with down here in Florida. Makes it more interesting for this old phart.

NU56
                      Old Member
                      Maybe the Oldest

Comment

What was going on at the end with Norwich getting a 5 on 3? I saw the skirmish, but I had the sound off because I was involved with something else and didn't know what the penalties were, and the box score on colleghockeystats.net didn't show how a 5 x 3 would result.
                        Maybe it was updated after you looked, but it was pretty straightforward. UMB has a 5 minute major, NU a minor. Then UMB with another minor, with little time left on the NU minor. When it expired, voila., a 6 on 4, resulting in a 5-3 score.
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                          Maybe it was updated after you looked, but it was pretty straightforward. UMB has a 5 minute major, NU a minor. Then UMB with another minor, with little time left on the NU minor. When it expired, voila., a 6 on 4, resulting in a 5-3 score.
                          When I looked, the major wasn't there, but the misconduct was. Now it makes sense,

Comment

When I looked, the major wasn't there, but the misconduct was. Now it makes sense,
                            We had an issue inputting the kicking penalty initially because honestly I’ve never seen it before. Presto didn’t like it and wasn’t allowing us to
                            Put it in correctly at first.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Middlebury.

****!
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                                Middlebury.

****!
                                Looked like the Cadets were just hanging on and hoping for OT.

Comment

Working...
                                X