Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Okay - So I drove directly past the Domes to watch some decent hockey last night.

During Period 1, Norwich's back check was so intense on a very narrow rink, that Hobart didn't have more than a handful of sustained possessions in the Cadet's zone. The last two periods were much more evenly played, considering the amount of energy the Cadets expended during the first. Both goals were pure hustle goals in which the Norwich player either out-muscled or out-skated a Hobart defender.

Norwich has speed and skill on all four lines, but the goalie was suspect at times. Hobart's 44 has All-American skills. These two teams are certainly NCAA worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
      Okay - So I drove directly past the Domes to watch some decent hockey last night.

During Period 1, Norwich's back check was so intense on a very narrow rink, that Hobart didn't have more than a handful of sustained possessions in the Cadet's zone. The last two periods were much more evenly played, considering the amount of energy the Cadets expended during the first. Both goals were pure hustle goals in which the Norwich player either out-muscled or out-skated a Hobart defender.

Norwich has speed and skill on all four lines, but the goalie was suspect at times. Hobart's 44 has All-American skills. These two teams are certainly NCAA worthy.
      That Goalie almost had his 4th shutout of the year last night and has only given up 1 goal through 4 games. If he cleans up the rebounds more he will be near impossible to beat especially if the Defense keeps up the great help in front of him. Saves don’t always look the prettiest but he gets it done night in and night out.

44 For Hobart (Faulkner) has been an outstanding asset to Hobart since his Freshman year but he did look like he was on an even higher level this year. I remember his freshman year I was shocked to look at the game program and see he was only a freshman...played like a senior.

Felix Brassard is a pain in Hobarts side...2 goals last night after scoring the game winner in the NEHC Championship last year. Huge win on Hobarts ice, keep it going today against Skidmore who always plays us tough!

Comment

Unfortunately did not get to see this one because my granddaughters were in a swim meet and by the time I got home, I was only able to check the score. I would never say Aubrun would be suspect. He has a 0.25 GAA at this point, so he's certainly not prone to leaks.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Well, with football season officially over I can now turn my full attention to Norwich hockey.

5-0 and outscoring opponents 16-1 through those games. And these aren't cupcakes either. Team looks pretty **** good.
          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
            Well, with football season officially over I can now turn my full attention to Norwich hockey.

5-0 and outscoring opponents 16-1 through those games. And these aren't cupcakes either. Team looks pretty **** good.
            Couldn’t have scripted a much better start. But, championships aren’t won in November. It’s all about building to playing your best hockey in late February/March.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Couldn’t have scripted a much better start. But, championships aren’t won in November. It’s all about building to playing your best hockey in late February/March.
              I know that's Coach Ellsworth's mantra. If the team is playing this well in November and if he's drilling that into their heads, then this team is going to be a favorite down the stretch.
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Will someone explain the consequences of the 5 minute major & 10 minute game misconduct against Tom Aubrun with only 5 seconds left in the game? When does he serve those? If ever.
                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                  Will someone explain the consequences of the 5 minute major & 10 minute game misconduct against Tom Aubrun with only 5 seconds left in the game? When does he serve those? If ever.
                  He did not receive a game disqualification so he is eligible to play the next game. He was kicked out of the rest of the 5 seconds of yesterday’s game and that’s why Ben Nelson came in. I incorrectly posted on twitter that Aubrun had a shut out. He does not get credit for the SO since Nelson came in.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

He did not receive a game disqualification so he is eligible to play the next game. He was kicked out of the rest of the 5 seconds of yesterday’s game and that’s why Ben Nelson came in. I incorrectly posted on twitter that Aubrun had a shut out. He does not get credit for the SO since Nelson came in.
                    Kind of a silly rule - since all the saves in the game were made by Aubrun, it seems to me he earned the shutout. Had Nelson made a save, I get it.
                    Same kind of thing (but at the other end of the game) happened in the NHL last week. Colorado starter gets run and suffers a concussion 30 seconds in without facing a shot. Back up comes in and CO wins 4-0. Scored as a combined shutout even though the starter made no saves.

Comment

I wasn’t there to see it but wondering what Tom did to deserve that...never seen them throw a goalie out with 5 seconds to go. Tom had already complained to the refs multiple times for the Skidmore teams bush league antics in trying to score on tommy by hitting him after the save/whistle. Refs in this league needa step it up!!

Comment

Another dumb statistic is the 18 seconds of empty net, which I assume was while Norwich was up an extra attacker during the wait for a penalty being blown dead.
                        Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                          Another dumb statistic is the 18 seconds of empty net, which I assume was while Norwich was up an extra attacker during the wait for a penalty being blown dead.
                          I mean it makes sense though...if Norwich pulls the goalie for an extra skater whether it be at end of game or for a delayed penalty and the puck happens to go in the net, that goal shouldn’t go against the goalie. Can’t have it both ways...
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

I mean it makes sense though...if Norwich pulls the goalie for an extra skater whether it be at end of game or for a delayed penalty and the puck happens to go in the net, that goal shouldn’t go against the goalie. Can’t have it both ways...
                            But if there are 18 seconds of empty net, the goalie still gets a shutout - it doesn't become a team shutout because he wasn't present for all 60 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              But if there are 18 seconds of empty net, the goalie still gets a shutout - it doesn't become a team shutout because he wasn't present for all 60 minutes.
                              Right but he’s the only goalie of record he gets the SO. Another goalie had to come on so no shutout. It stinks, but I get it. Still doesn’t take away from what Tom and the NU defense have accomplished through 5 games.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                                I wasn’t there to see it but wondering what Tom did to deserve that...never seen them throw a goalie out with 5 seconds to go. Tom had already complained to the refs multiple times for the Skidmore teams bush league antics in trying to score on tommy by hitting him after the save/whistle. Refs in this league needa step it up!!
                                Second weekend in a row where the refs lost control of the game by not making calls such as hitting after the whistle and contact to the head. Four times in the Third Period I saw Tom have this happen to him, and the contact to the head came only seconds after Norwich scored the Empty Net goal. Tom was on his knees and was cross checked to the back of his head and neck way after the play was blown dead. Now in the First and Third periods, when Norwich was defending the goal to the left of where the video was being shot, the line of sight is not the best. I was thinking to myself of how many times Tom must have gotten hit after the whistle because I couldn't see the plays very well. Shortly after that was when the brawl broke out and Tom was shown the gate. I was surprised by the call, not only because I didn't see what he had done, but by how out of character it was for Tom to lose his cool. I know the refs are only human and as such, will make mistakes. Like wise for the players and when frustrated there is an increased likely hood to commit mistakes. Obviously the game had gotten very physical by the beginning of the Second Period and there were penalties missed against both teams. The refs held their whistles but, to their credit, was not favoring one team over the other. This is when the refs needed to control the game by calling it tighter, giving players on the verge two minutes to cool their heads, and giving the teams the message to play by the rules. The Third Period started and ended in chaos. The only good thing to take from the game was that no serious injuries occurred from the refs loss of control.

One last thought about the Skidmore/Norwich game and hockey in general. You could offer me a million dollars to officiate a game and I would not accept it. The refs are always blamed for everything and no body is satisfied. Talk about STRESS! On the whole, I think the Div III refs do a great job and I usually can not find fault with them for any outcome of any game. I am just concerned about the health and safety of the players in a game traditionally noted to be fast and hard hitting. Again, being an armchair ref, like being an armchair coach, is a simple thing to do, where there is no time, no stress and no concerns for players safety. I have had 24 plus hours to think about this one game and I maybe completely wrong about my assessment. I will admit that I do not have what it takes to ref hockey, and I am grateful to those who do have the right stuff to take on this task and allows me to watch my favorite team and my favorite sport.
                                There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Working...
                                X