Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
    Duke just announced they are cancelling their season. So even if there is an NCAA basketball tourney, they aren't taking part in it
    Ditto Kansas.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Well now that it's official...this really sucks.

Initially I was ****ed at not getting a shot at Title #5. But now I found myself more bummed for Tom Aubrun and his shutout streak coming to an unceremonious end.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I don't even know where to begin ....
        One of the greatest ... maybe THE GREATEST ,,, hockey season in Norwich history is over ... and we didn't even get a chance to say goodbye ...
        I am devastated .... CRUSHED!
        This is worse than any loss any of my teams have ever suffered ... I just feel numb.
        As bad as I feel I can't even imagine how the team ... and especially that great group of seniors ... must feel.
        Doubt if we will even be able to schedule an end of season banquet.
        Mass panic! NATIONWIDE mass panic!
        All in ... but unfortunately not all done!

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          One of the greatest ... maybe THE GREATEST ,,, hockey season in Norwich history is over ... and we didn't even get a chance to say goodbye ...
          This is worse than any loss any of my teams have ever suffered ... I just feel numb.
          As bad as I feel I can't even imagine how the team ... and especially that great group of seniors ... must feel.
          You say it best George...absolutely gutted. Really feel for this team. Record breaking year, amazing team

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
            It is a crying shame. Upon reflection, it is a necessary step, but it may have been taken too late. We can say that the athletes are not a high risk group if they catch the disease - true enough. However, there are people associated with the teams/players who do fall into the high risk categories. I know I would, and I think you would - us older adults with underlying health conditions are the ones who are vulnerable to the most severe complications of the disease. The mathematical models of disease transmission tell us that we need to break the cycle of transmission as best we can.

I haven't seen an NU team be as dominant as this one since the 1999-2000 squad led by Keith Aucoin, Jim Nagle, Marc Belemare, and Curt Healy. Although NU won 3 other titles after that, to me that was the gold standard until this years group. Would have loved to see the tournament play out, but now we can only imagine.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
              Now there's rumors of cancelling the season.

In that case, as a selfish Norwich fan, I propose we revert to old college football rules for the season and Norwich (polls) and Utica (PWR) can both claim the national championship. Hell, UWEC can claim it too for being the highest ranking in the West and winning its Eastern tourney (in which the #1 team played) earlier in the season. That's a strong argument. We all can raise banners!

I agree with you NU Pasttime, only thing I would do different is declare Utica and Norwich as Co-champions and Geneseo and Eau Claire would be Co Runner ups. That would be fair I guess, if you are going with the PWR. But you need to look at how Utica jumped to number one with 25 wins over Norwich's 23 (actually 24, but NCAA doesn't count Division II games in the PWR)... it was the two game series they used for their league championship. If the UCHC played a one game championship format like most other Div III leagues, their final record of wins would be 23 - tied with Norwich (At the very least, but either one could bump up to 1st place based on other qualifying criteria - which I am unsure of.) It may well be possible for Norwich to go up to #1 if Strength Of Schedule is used as Norwich's SOS is 6 while Utica is 19. This of course is speculation, the NCAA can only answer this by awarding the Championship since no games will actually take place and they may very well not do anything. I really hope they do something in recognition of all these deserving teams. This is a sad ending to a great season, not only for Norwich but for all the teams that made it to the frosty tournament.

I am very sure that each team has a student athlete that they feel has been slighted by not having the NCAA Tournament. As a die hard Norwich fan, I feel especially bad for Tommy Aubrun, who like you said had an abrupt ending to his shut out streak. 13 shut outs (should have been 14, but he got a misconduct and missed the last 5 seconds of the Skidmore game which Norwich won 2-0) for the season. 11 game winning streak since 1/18/20 of which the last 9 were shut outs against quality teams such as Hobart (2 shut outs), and Babson, who were also in the final 12 teams for the NCAA championship. And Aubrun was the back bone of the Norwich defense (and many times the offense too, playing defense) having allowed only 21 goals (24 total for the team total) all season. He has set and exceed many DIV III and Conference records. And he is a senior, so no chance to further the streak to next year. We love you Tommy, good luck in all endeavors, my french is bad but I think I should say Bon soir!
              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

+1,000

Comment

This feels more like a kick in the nuts than a sucker punch. And at the worst possible time in terms of Norwich men's hockey... while they are standing at the precipice of greatness. I feel really sorry for the team and that the rug was pulled out from under their feet after all the hard work they did.

Intellectually, I sort of get it.... but it still sucks big time.

Comment

Well congrats to Norwich on a great season! #1 in coaches poll, shutout streak. Really would have been an impressive Frozen Four because Utica, Norwich and Genny would have been there. I say give Norwich and Utica Natty Championship split one for pairwise one for coaches poll. Just gutted for all those who no longer have a kick at the can. However we could have a "unsanctioned" stick and puck between Utica, Norwich, Genny and a fourth. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                      It may well be possible for Norwich to go up to #1 if Strength Of Schedule is used as Norwich's SOS is 6 while Utica is 19.
                      UC's was #13, and NU's was #15...

Doesn't matter, though.

It's a shame that the NCAA succumbed to panic and couldn't have figured out how to let the guys play the games in closed arenas.

It ain't like trying to solve the riddle of cold fusion, FCS.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                        Well now that it's official...this really sucks.

Initially I was ****ed at not getting a shot at Title #5. But now I found myself more bummed for Tom Aubrun and his shutout streak coming to an unceremonious end.
                        Technically, it never ended. Therefore I declare his shutout streak “infinite”

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                          Technically, it never ended. Therefore I declare his shutout streak “infinite”
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            UC's was #13, and NU's was #15...

Doesn't matter, though.

It's a shame that the NCAA succumbed to panic and couldn't have figured out how to let the guys play the games in closed arenas.

It ain't like trying to solve the riddle of cold fusion, FCS.
                            Fish, I used the RP! system to get the numbers of the teams SOS rankings. It appears that you used the Krach system, which would account for our differences. Like you said, "It doesn't matter, though" and that is the unfortunate truth. Have to figure out what to do for the next 3 Saturday nights...I was not ready to be done with the "hockey season". The ultimate "we got screwed" in the NCAA Div III Championship process, and this was not a joke. All of Div III teams, staff and fans got screwed by a virus- Covid 19. It basically has got all of the USA as hostages and the economic impact will be HUGH. In my head, that is one of the worst results of the virus (Surpassed by the deaths and and the number of people suffering from it.), however in my heart, it is the cancellation of the 2020 Div III NCAA Championship.

Comment

Not going to lie, between my job, the inconvenience of the Mountain Time Zone to East Coast watching (getting home at 7 on Fridays means the games are over), and having two little toddlers running around, I haven't watched as many games this year as I have in the past. But, I've followed along as I've always done. As much as I love the Cadets (as evidenced by my presence on this forum), I never thought I was would be this heartbroken over the season ending like this (not that I ever imagined this). PuckVoice is right, a loss would have been much better. Never even having the opportunity is crushing.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• I went down to Kreitzberg to pick some equipment this afternoon ... what did I see? The Norwich women .... seemed like most of the team ... out on the ice having what looked like a fun scrimmage. I'm guessing it was to have been theier last practice before their trip to Plattsburgh for the Quarterfinal that now will never be.
                                A sad moment ... and yet inspiring too.
                                Those kids had to be crushed just 24 hours ago but there they were ... out on the ice having fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X