Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Well, thought it was a 700 game, so missed it. But happy to see the W!
    I wish. I reeeaaalllyyy wish the NEHC played 7:00 pm games on Saturdays.

Comment

• Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Flint, did you make a run to Henniker for the game? Also wanted to ask you if you heard Ed Harding’s “Coach’s Corner” interview last evening? He shared a very valid observation about the Cadets. Not a criticism, but I think something that’s very true about the team for the last 3-4 seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
        He shared a very valid observation about the Cadets. Not a criticism, but I think something that’s very true about the team for the last 3-4 seasons.
        Which was?
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Flint, did you make a run to Henniker for the game? Also wanted to ask you if you heard Ed Harding’s “Coach’s Corner” interview last evening? He shared a very valid observation about the Cadets. Not a criticism, but I think something that’s very true about the team for the last 3-4 seasons.
          I didn’t hear it. What did he say?

Comment

And while I caught both games on the stream, I was not there in person. My dad was at the USM game last night though!

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
              I didn’t hear it. What did he say?
              Keep pressing, keep throwing pucks in; they will make a mistake...

Comment

Probably SOME validity to that. However, when they’re “on”, you might be down 4-0 before they make a mistake!

I’m concerned about the frequency with which the Cadets allow the opponent to score first. So far, it hasn’t been a big deal, as they do have the firepower to overcome deficits. But, I’m worried about giving powerhouse teams a lead and trying to come back.

Nonetheless, the Cadets are 14-2-2 , in the NEHC driver’s seat, and headed back to the Berg.

Comment

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                  But couldn't you say that about any team? Sounds like motherhood and apple pie to me.

Comment

Can't overstate the significance of both games this weekend .... two big third period comebacks!
                    Sure I too would love to see the team jump out early and cruise to wins, but this is a tough league ... tougher than it has ever been. To be able to come back and get big points ... especially on the road ... is huge!

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                      Can't overstate the significance of both games this weekend .... two big third period comebacks!
                      Sure I too would love to see the team jump out early and cruise to wins, but this is a tough league ... tougher than it has ever been. To be able to come back and get big points ... especially on the road ... is huge!
                      In today’s NEHC, I’ll take 3 points on any weekend. Home or away.

I’ve been preaching this for three years now that there are 40 good teams in Division III hockey and most of the NEHC teams fall within that.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                        Probably SOME validity to that. However, when they’re “on”, you might be down 4-0 before they make a mistake!

I’m concerned about the frequency with which the Cadets allow the opponent to score first. So far, it hasn’t been a big deal, as they do have the firepower to overcome deficits. But, I’m worried about giving powerhouse teams a lead and trying to come back.

Nonetheless, the Cadets are 14-2-2 , in the NEHC driver’s seat, and headed back to the Berg.
                        I think the fact of them not scoring first is the reason we feel like the offense is so lackluster. Statistically speaking, with the notable exception of the 2017 championship team, they're averaging about the same number of goals as years past (3.1/3.2 - 2017 was 4.3). But, I think there's two things going on for us fans:

1) As Krb said, it seems like those three goals are always coming late. At least not in the first period so it feels like the team is always fighting back.

2) We all had very high expectations for this team. I think this team is still a title contender, and maybe even a favorite. There's no dominant team like UWSP was last year or SNC has been in years past. I think this team has as good a shot as anyone, we're just used to our championship teams steamrolling through people like they did in '10 and '17 (and I assume '00 and '03, I was a kid back in the Midwest at that point though). Times have changed.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          In today’s NEHC, I’ll take 3 points on any weekend. Home or away.

I’ve been preaching this for three years now that there are 40 good teams in Division III hockey and most of the NEHC teams fall within that.
                          You and George are both absolutely right, but it’s still possible to objectively examine some things. In no way am I trying to be negative; this team only has TWO losses (none to anyone outside of VT)! My point is, spotting USM or Plattsburgh a lead is one thing, but I don’t want to be playing catch up when March rolls around and every single goal matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                            I think the fact of them not scoring first is the reason we feel like the offense is so lackluster. Statistically speaking, with the notable exception of the 2017 championship team, they're averaging about the same number of goals as years past (3.1/3.2 - 2017 was 4.3). But, I think there's two things going on for us fans:

1) As Krb said, it seems like those three goals are always coming late. At least not in the first period so it feels like the team is always fighting back.

2) We all had very high expectations for this team. I think this team is still a title contender, and maybe even a favorite. There's no dominant team like UWSP was last year or SNC has been in years past. I think this team has as good a shot as anyone, we're just used to our championship teams steamrolling through people like they did in '10 and '17 (and I assume '00 and '03, I was a kid back in the Midwest at that point though). Times have changed.
                            I know Stevens Point went undefeated last year and was the first team to do that, but that was a truly special special team. They lose their goaltender early to transferring and a couple other players and look what had happened this year.

The days of “steamrolling” are far gone I feel like. Just way too many good teams that can beat anyone on any given night.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                              You and George are both absolutely right, but it’s still possible to objectively examine some things. In no way am I trying to be negative; this team only has TWO losses (none to anyone outside of VT)! My point is, spotting USM or Plattsburgh a lead is one thing, but I don’t want to be playing catch up when March rolls around and every single goal matters.
                              Whole heartedly. Certainly playing from behind is not ideal. My point was not take the points and be happy. Clearly there are still things to sort out with this team.

The offense will most likely need to be a bit more consistent down the stretch to beat teams like Hobart, Babson and evening though they are .500 right now, UMass Boston is a darn good team that just doesn’t quite have the same goaltending as the other top NEHC teams.

Braedyn Aubin has been stepping up and finding his niche lately as a freshman which has been good to see.

Let’s not forget, the team is still missing Maxime Borduas, who is one of their top offensive sparks. If they can get him back for the stretch run, could be a huge boost, especially to that lethal top PP unit.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                Whole heartedly. Certainly playing from behind is not ideal. My point was not take the points and be happy. Clearly there are still things to sort out with this team.

The offense will most likely need to be a bit more consistent down the stretch to beat teams like Hobart, Babson and evening though they are .500 right now, UMass Boston is a darn good team that just doesn’t quite have the same goaltending as the other top NEHC teams.

Braedyn Aubin has been stepping up and finding his niche lately as a freshman which has been good to see.

Let’s not forget, the team is still missing Maxime Borduas, who is one of their top offensive sparks. If they can get him back for the stretch run, could be a huge boost, especially to that lethal top PP unit.
                                I keep thinking the same thing; it’s gonna be nice to have Max back.

Comment

Working...
                                X