Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

This team is a defensive juggernaut. Aubrun deserves every single bit of the credit he’s receiving, but the team defense as a whole is remarkable. What makes Tom so special, in my opinion, is his ability to stay sharp and focused despite long periods of inactivity. The team is so adept at limiting SOG, I wouldn’t blame him if he was occasionally lulled into “boredom”. Instead, he’s able to be relatively inactive for long stretches, then come up with huge save after huge save when it’s needed.

If you’ve got a goaltender, you’ve always got a chance. When you’ve got outstanding team defense, you’ve got something special.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
      This team is a defensive juggernaut. Aubrun deserves every single bit of the credit he’s receiving, but the team defense as a whole is remarkable. What makes Tom so special, in my opinion, is his ability to stay sharp and focused despite long periods of inactivity. The team is so adept at limiting SOG, I wouldn’t blame him if he was occasionally lulled into “boredom”. Instead, he’s able to be relatively inactive for long stretches, then come up with huge save after huge save when it’s needed.

If you’ve got a goaltender, you’ve always got a chance. When you’ve got outstanding team defense, you’ve got something special.
      I’m really impressed with the defensemen all buying into their roles. I feel like the defense as a whole does an incredible job of holding their own blue line and deflecting opposing players to the outside, or dispossessing them from the puck as they try and carry it in. I saw Burchill, Monteleone and Cronin do it multiple times last night. That’s not even mentioning Chicoine, who in my opinion might be the best player on the team, period.

He does it at all ends of the ice. All 200 by 90 feet. He can carry the puck, his vision is second to none and he takes care of his own end incredibly well.

Be interesting to see what happens when Aubin, Borduas and Williams are all able to get back into the lineup. All 3 of them are top 9 forwards when healthy, but the depth of this team this year has been nothing short of remarkable.

Todd Jackson and Michael Korol both had quality weekends after not seeing much time most of the year.
      Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-16-2020, 12:08 PM.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I don't care what level of hockey you're talking, six straight shutouts is insane. And now they're scoring too!
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

my impression when someone says "defensive hockey"is everyone backing into the net and holding on for dear life-this style of defensive hockey is very exciting-rattling forty shots on goal and giving up very few is certainly fun to watch-remarkable team defense and the backchecking by the fowards is special-no one takes a shift off-

Comment

Prez, +1 about Chicoine, he is in my opinion one of the best offensive d-man Norwich has ever had. I imagine him as young boy playing hockey on lake ice with a few friends, having to play offense, defense and maybe even Goalie! A Natural born player for sure!

I would like to see Chicoine take Krollis under his wing, Niks has a lot of talent and potential.
            Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM.
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by dwb View Post
              my impression when someone says "defensive hockey"is everyone backing into the net and holding on for dear life-this style of defensive hockey is very exciting-rattling forty shots on goal and giving up very few is certainly fun to watch-remarkable team defense and the backchecking by the fowards is special-no one takes a shift off-
              I haven't been able to watch as many games as I usually do this year because of other commitments and the awkward times (5:00 on Friday nights, 2:00 on Saturdays for the most part), but in the games I have seen, the defense has been tenacious without using a clogging style. They just limit time and space, and then are able to counter with speed and control. There's just no place for the opponents to move the puck with any consistency.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

The Norwich defense has been incredible. Hobart has a pretty good offense but Norwich looks like the odds on favorite to take it all this year in the league and in the NCAAs. Hobart might sneak a win against ther Cadets in Vermont or in the NCAAs( only because the puck can bounce unpredictably) but the Cadet defense looks absolutely inpenetrable this year. It is also true that I hope by making these honest and sincere complements that it will bring the Statesmen luck in the third and possibly fourth encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I’m really impressed with the defensemen all buying into their roles. I feel like the defense as a whole does an incredible job of holding their own blue line and deflecting opposing players to the outside, or dispossessing them from the puck as they try and carry it in. I saw Burchill, Monteleone and Cronin do it multiple times last night. That’s not even mentioning Chicoine, who in my opinion might be the best player on the team, period.

He does it at all ends of the ice. All 200 by 90 feet. He can carry the puck, his vision is second to none and he takes care of his own end incredibly well.

Be interesting to see what happens when Aubin, Borduas and Williams are all able to get back into the lineup. All 3 of them are top 9 forwards when healthy, but the depth of this team this year has been nothing short of remarkable.

Todd Jackson and Michael Korol both had quality weekends after not seeing much time most of the year.

Spot on..Chicoine is a treat to watch...honestly not sure I've seen such a two way defenseman here at Norwich before.

Impressed with the defensive rolls as well and the team clears the garbage in front of the net extremely well and trusts their work on the boards, taking no chances in front of the net. It's a thing of beauty to watch this team play smart defensively and luckily Aubrun is a rock at the back, cleaning up most all shots and those defensive breakdowns that will happen from time to time.

New Season starts Saturday, lets go Cadets!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                    The Norwich defense has been incredible. Hobart has a pretty good offense but Norwich looks like the odds on favorite to take it all this year in the league and in the NCAAs. Hobart might sneak a win against ther Cadets in Vermont or in the NCAAs( only because the puck can bounce unpredictably) but the Cadet defense looks absolutely inpenetrable this year. It is also true that I hope by making these honest and sincere complements that it will bring the Statesmen luck in the third and possibly fourth encounter.
                    Would not mind seeing another Hobart/NU game. Great competition with the Statesmen - they have helped raise the level of play in the NEHC.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      Would not mind seeing another Hobart/NU game. Great competition with the Statesmen - they have helped raise the level of play in the NEHC.
                      +1. Been a fun budding rivalry so far. Elmira should only make it better in 2021-22.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        +1. Been a fun budding rivalry so far. Elmira should only make it better in 2021-22.
                        When it happens you will have to deny your PurpieGold history and sell those clues

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Couldn't agree more

Comment

Is the Norwich stream available on ROKU?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Is the Norwich stream available on ROKU?
                              Not that I know of. I stream it to the ROKU.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                                Not that I know of. I stream it to the ROKU.
                                You can use Twitch as a streaming browser on a smart tv and it’s searchable.
                                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
                                X