Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

Input Union and Lindenwood at the top and you'll see Lindenwood with a 1-0-1 H2H and the CoOpp point as well despite Union being ahead in RPI.
    I guess I had forgotten you had posted this. Thanks again for it (and the work it must have taken!)

I notice that USCHO likely has a bug somewhere in theirs right now.

If you go down the column of 'pairwise wins', they have the same [14,14,13,11,11,11,10] sequence of wins that you have. And that gives the right number of total comparisons (that is, it adds up to the correct number of comparisons made, same as if it had just been in normal order 15,14,13,12,11,10,9). But after that, USCHO has 7 and 7 for Union and Lindenwood; so, one fewer awarded pair win that normal sequence. But that missing pair win has not been awarded to anyone else anywhere else. So either they 'missed' awarding a pair win, or they have a comparison as a tie (!?), which I guess could happen if the RPIs were a dead heat. But of course, there are no dead heats as far as RPI goes in their table.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      I guess I had forgotten you had posted this. Thanks again for it (and the work it must have taken!)

I notice that USCHO likely has a bug somewhere in theirs right now.

If you go down the column of 'pairwise wins', they have the same [14,14,13,11,11,11,10] sequence of wins that you have. And that gives the right number of total comparisons (that is, it adds up to the correct number of comparisons made, same as if it had just been in normal order 15,14,13,12,11,10,9). But after that, USCHO has 7 and 7 for Union and Lindenwood; so, one fewer awarded pair win that normal sequence. But that missing pair win has not been awarded to anyone else anywhere else. So either they 'missed' awarding a pair win, or they have a comparison as a tie (!?), which I guess could happen if the RPIs were a dead heat. But of course, there are no dead heats as far as RPI goes in their table.
      Yeah USCHO being wrong again wouldn't surprise me haha... Their KRACH is still wayyyy off last I checked the other day.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

My weekly guess for the voting at the top of the polls:

The points for the top four suggest, at least, that all the votes for 1-through-4 went to Wisconsin, Cornell, Northeastern and Minnesota; Ohio State appears to have lost its one '4th place' vote from last week. And they seem to be 'of two minds' regarding Northeastern...

One set of guesses that 'works':
        Wisconsin - 14 at #1, and 1 at #2
        Cornell - 1 at #1, 3 at #2, 10 at #3, 1 at #4
        Northeastern - 0 at #1, 8 at #2, 0 at #3, and 7 at #4
        Minnesota - 0 at #1, 3 at #2, 5 at #3, and 7 at #4

Wisconsin - (14 x 10) + (1 x 9) = 149
        Cornell - (1 x 10) + (3 x 9) + (10 x 8) + (1 x 7) = 124
        Northeastern - (8 x 9) + (0 x 8) + (7 x 7) = 121
        Minnesota - (3 x 9) + (5 x 8) + (7 x 7)= 116
        Last edited by robertearle; 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

USCHO Division I Women's Poll - February 3, 2020
          Rnk Team (Last Poll)
          1. Wisconsin (1)
          2. Cornell (4)
          3. Northeastern (3)
          4. Minnesota (2)
          5. Ohio State (5)
          6. Princeton (6)
          7. Clarkson (7)
          8. Boston University (8)
          9. Minnesota Duluth (9)
          10. Harvard (10)

Others receiving votes: Robert Morris 2, Quinnipiac 2, Bemidji State 1, Providence 1

As one would expect, the big change in this week's poll is the Gophers falling from No. 2 to No. 4, following their series split with No. 9 Minnesota Duluth. This latest loss allowed Cornell to swap places with Minnesota, as they moved to No. 2 on the strength (?) of their 1-1 tie with Clarkson and narrow 3-2 win over St. Lawrence. Meanwhile, Northeastern needed overtime to top UConn 3-2 but did have a quality (albeit narrow) win over BU to hold on to No. 3. I guess the point is neither of these two contenders lost, while Minnesota's struggles continue, having now lost four of their last six including their 0-2 defeat at the hands of their rival from Duluth.

Otherwise, no changes in this week's poll, as all the teams from Nos. 5 to 10 hold their positions.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Otherwise, no changes in this week's poll, as all the teams from Nos. 5 to 10 hold their positions.
            The BU vs UMD ranking is interesting. BU has a better win % and is a tad better in RPI. UMD is considerably better in KRACH and WCHODR. I guess it comes down to how much credit a team receives for playing a more difficult schedule.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

How precarious is MN's hold on 4 over OSU?
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                If OSU sweeps UMD and UM splits in Bemidji, the Gophers still lead the Buckeyes. If that happens and OSU splits at UW, the Gophers still lead the Buckeyes, but if OSU sweeps in Madison, then the Buckeyes vault up to third. So Wisconsin has a lot of say in whether or not Minnesota might head to Madison for an NCAA quarterfinal.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  If OSU sweeps UMD and UM splits in Bemidji, the Gophers still lead the Buckeyes. If that happens and OSU splits at UW, the Gophers still lead the Buckeyes, but if OSU sweeps in Madison, then the Buckeyes vault up to third. So Wisconsin has a lot of say in whether or not Minnesota might head to Madison for an NCAA quarterfinal.
                  I was thinking that OSU and MN are getting kinda destined to the 4-5 matchup in the NCAA's. Princeton to NE, Clarkson to Cornell and the CHA winner to UW. Not sure if the number crunching programs see it that way or if those defy the laws of flight rules. Obviously I'm WAY ahead here, just fun to think about.

Comment

The Buckeyes travel to Duluth this coming weekend, and if the Bulldogs play anything like they did on Saturday (with Rooney standing on her head) then I think we're looking at two closely contested games...a split maybe?

Then on the following weekend they're in Madison which obviously will be difficult. Realistically they'd be very pleased to split with Bucky.

Their final regular season series is at home vs. St. Cloud, and you would expect a 6 point sweep.

Meanwhile the Gophers are down to just two remaining series, at Bemidji this weekend, then they will host Minnesota State on the 21st and 22nd. Although favored in both - they SHOULD win all four games - you just never know with this team lately.

So how precarious is MN's hold on 4 over OSU? I think we'll know a lot more after this weekend, with each series - in Duluth and in Bemidji - being "too close to call" in my opinion.

Comment

• Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

I was thinking that OSU and MN are getting kinda destined to the 4-5 matchup in the NCAA's.
                      Remember that it is all about limiting flights. So if Minnesota slides to #5 and has to travel somewhere, well shazzam! We can put the Gophers on a bus trip to Madison. If you were counting on playing a CHA team, no worries. You've done very well in the tourney vs UM of late.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Remember that it is all about limiting flights. So if Minnesota slides to #5 and has to travel somewhere, well shazzam! We can put the Gophers on a bus trip to Madison. If you were counting on playing a CHA team, no worries. You've done very well in the tourney vs UM of late.
                        I'm not sure why I was thinking OSU was a good travel partner for MN; usually geography is one of my better suits LOL. What a dope. Anyway, no way do I want MN in the quarters in Madison. History is history in looking at past seasons and is not indicative of the future. I'm still having nightmares about that 3rd period Friday night. UM was a goal away from being in control on the wwcha and the #1 spot in the land. Winning that game may have propelled them into a different result Saturday as well (and put UW's mindset in a bad spot as well). There is no team I fear more than them. NE looked really good against UW as well, they are scary and I'm looking forward to seeing OSU in a couple weeks to see with my eyes what they have.

Comment

Minnesota should not be feared...They have been exposed these last 3 weeks.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Minnesota should not be feared...They have been exposed these last 3 weeks.
                            If they play like they can, as in Friday night's 5-0 thrashing of UMD - shots were 50-17 - they certainly should be feared. But can they put a string of games like that together?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              If they play like they can...
                              I was thinking you were going to go all Denny Green on the bit.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                I was thinking you were going to go all Denny Green on the bit.
                                OK then...
                                https://youtu.be/kw5UWqpcsDs

Comment

Working...
                                X